Tithing/Giving and Jewish/Old Testament law

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
JacobMartinMertens

Tithing/Giving and Jewish/Old Testament law

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Many give without tithing.

Some say we are to give 10 percent (a tithe).

What does Jewish or Old Testament law say? I believe it is different from just 10 percent.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Homer

Re: Tithing/Giving and Jewish/Old Testament law

Post by Homer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:28 pm

There are many opinions on this but some estimates are that under the LOM it totaled about 30%, all things considered, But how can you make a comparison? They were under a theocracy, we are under a secular government that taxes heavily to do similar things.

I do not think the New Testament teaches tithing, although it is a good discipline, but rather the practice of generosity to the Lord's work and the poor. And I do not particularly see buildings as the Lord's work.

JacobMartinMertens

Re: Tithing/Giving and Jewish/Old Testament law

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Homer wrote:There are many opinions on this but some estimates are that under the LOM it totaled about 30%, all things considered, But how can you make a comparison? They were under a theocracy, we are under a secular government that taxes heavily to do similar things.

I do not think the New Testament teaches tithing, although it is a good discipline, but rather the practice of generosity to the Lord's work and the poor. And I do not particularly see buildings as the Lord's work.
My understanding is that no money should be received on the Sabbath or on holy days. That is a start.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Return to “Radio Program Topics”