suicide and mental illness

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
steve

Post by steve » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 pm

I received an email after this afternoon's program from a woman who expressed what are probably the sentiments of many. I am posting her complaint and my answer. I imagine this will be controversial, even at this forum.
Hi Steve -
I caught the last part of today's show on am 630, Seattle. Always enjoy listening to you when I can! I am very concerned though, about the message I heard on the show today concerning suicide. Depression leading to suicide is very often - if not usually, a medical problem. Like the bi-polar condition that my dad suffered with; it is caused, we came to find out, by chemical imbalances in the brain and not because of a spiritual problem of some sort. To tell people with a chemical/physical medical problem that they are suffering because they are not right spiritually makes as much sense as telling someone with leukemia or deafness that they'll be fine if they just get right with the Lord. Are you acquainted with a psychiatrist who's 'brain you could pick' about the subject? I heard you say that 'maybe in a few cases the person actually thinks they are doing other people a favor by ending their life...' from what I've been hearing, this is the case with MOST people who contemplate suicide. I'm sure there is demonic deception going on in many cases too, or some other spiritual issue as well. But frankly, I think if I were contemplating suicide and listened to your show today, it would have just added to the weight and darkness I was feeling. It's not a spiritual 'cop-out' to seek medical/professional help!!
Blessings --
Kathee

Hi Kathee,

Thanks for writing. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. The several psychiatrists that I have read on this matter have admitted that there is no provable medical condition called "clinical depression." There are often physical reasons why people feel depressed, of course, whether it be thyroid problems, sleep deprivation, hypoglycemia, or other medical (not psychiatric) issues. Where there are actual medical conditions, I recommend the services of a physician who can properly address them.

There are also a host of non-medical (spiritual) reasons why people become suicidal—including loneliness, hopelessness, unresolved guilt, anger, etc. We all know that psychiatrists do usually claim that there is a chemical basis for clinical depression, but few people know that the proof for this is lacking.

Diabetes and thyroid disorders are examples of genuine chemical imbalance problems, so they are treated by the supplying of substances normally produced in the healthy body, like insulin or thyroid, to counter the imbalance. Common sense would tell us that, if depression were a "chemical imbalance" problem, it would be treated by the supplementation of the "missing" chemicals. Yet, no scientist would argue that a depressed person's brain is producing too little "natural" Zoloft or Prozak. Similarly, contrary to the impression falsely given by psychiatrists (who really know better), a person suffering from bipolar affective disorder (manic depressive) does not have a "lithium deficiency" in their blood. There is no such thing as a lithium deficiency, because lithium is not a substance naturally produced in or utilized by the body. All of these "meds" are consciousness-altering drugs, not natural organic supplements. They are not curative medications, since they cure nothing. They are merely management tools.

Psychiatrists have a dual incentive to promote the misconception that depression is a medical condition: 1) as scientists, they do not like to allow that there are human problems outside their domain (i.e., spiritual problems), and 2) as MDs, psychiatrists are the only mental health professionals who can prescribe medications. If a patient can be convinced that he/she has a "chemical imbalance" problem, then it is possible to sell him/her the services of a physician and of a pharmacist. It probably does not enhance the objectivity of their judgment to have the American Psychiatric Association receiving 20% of its funds from the pharmaceutical companies. Many good psychiatrists have come out and admitted this scam (Peter Breggin immediately comes to mind).

Since people had to deal with depression and suicidal thoughts for thousands of years before the development of "antidepressants," it is clear that the church had to deal with these matters as spiritual problems. In my limited experience, I do not believe that the psychiatrists have a better track record with such patients than do spiritual counselors. What you are suggesting is that it is wrong to address the real spiritual issues in the life of a suicidal individual, lest the sense of responsibility be too great a weight for him/her to bear. What then is to be done for the many suicidal and depressed people whose problems are non-medical, if Christians are afraid to address the real spiritual issues at the core of their so-called "illness"? I have two friends who were deeply suicidal, and who both were "cured" by finding a relationship with God (one of them through reading a tract I wrote, and the other through a radio broadcast of Chuck Swindoll). Actually, their numbers can be multiplied, as I think back on the cases I have known and dealt with in 45 years of ministry.

One year, in my Bible school, there were four students who were using prescribed psychotropic medications. Without my knowledge, in the course of the school year, all four stopped using their meds. Three of them never used them again, and have lived well-adjusted Christian lives. The other individual did fine without meds for six months, but quit the school and later committed himself to a mental hospital. The other three were "cured" by simply applying themselves to the disciplines of Christian discipleship. I am convinced that the success rate would have been four out of four if the one individual had not decided to give up on his spiritual pursuits.

The truth is, suicide is a sinful decision. Like all sinful decisions, the temptations associated with it may be very strong. The only real power that will ultimately triumph against overwhelming temptations is the power of God in a proper relationship with Christ. No matter what a person's brain chemistry, one is still capable and responsible for making correct moral decisions. Those who feel overwhelmed can do the same thing that godly people did for centuries before our therapeutic age—run to God (Psalm 43:5; 61:2; 2 Cor.1:8-9). I realize, as you said, that many people are deeply deceived—and probably oppressed by the devil—but then, that is a spiritual problem, not a medical one.

I have read enough from the psychiatric professionals, and had enough counseling experience, to know that people who are suicidal need a vital connection with God, rather than pills, to get back into normative living. Pills may manage the problem (if management is all one is seeking), but only a genuine relationship with God is a complete cure. I know also (from experience) that people whose family members have been managed mood problems with medications often thank God for those medications and have negative reactions to those who intelligently question them. I have encountered this phenomenon many times, but I need to follow the path that I believe scripture teaches (and which actually helps people) and allow others to reach their own conclusions.

As I said above, I am not suggesting that people with medical conditions should not see doctors. A person with chronic mood-management problems should have tests done by a (non-psychiatric) medical doctor, to discover whether there are any glandular or brain chemistry issues. Where none are found, a psychiatrist can't do much more. Many psychiatrists don't even do chemical tests as the basis of their "diagnoses." As one practicing psychiatrist quipped, "While medicine measures the body and therefore can collect scientific data, psychiatry’s data collection inevitably relies on one person’s opinion about another person’s behavior” (Dr. Lee Coleman, The Reign of Error: Psychiatry, Authority, and Law [Beacon Press, Boston, 1984] p. 19)

Disclaimer: It may also be necessary, in cases where the "patient" is out of control, to temporarily use some medications to prevent him/her from self-destructive behaviors, until the real issues can be addressed.

Thank you again for your concern and for sharing your thoughts with me.

Blessings!

Steve

TheEditor

Re: suicide and mental illness

Post by TheEditor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi Steve,

I will add my observations, which admittedly only come from an auto-didact, although I have first hand experience with the mentally ill. No doubt there is a large amount of overlap in this area, but I will offer a few thoughts.

I attended a Missionary school (yes, it was in my JW days so it was sponsored by the WT Society, but don't let that throw you) when I was 19. We had to bunk with fellow attendees. One of the fellows I roomed with was a very sweet man of 40. We had many conversations and in the course of our discussions he told me he was manic depressive with psychosis. He took Lithium to manage. He had been institutionalized in the past, and there was a pattern of this problem in his family. I asked him what would happen if he stopped taking his medication. He gave me a few horrific experiences and I quickly realized that he should stay medicated. Turn the page.

He had told me the temptation to quit taking them was strong, as when he was in a "manic" mode, he felt great--like he could do anything. Now remember, he was a missionary, whether you agree with JW ideas or not, his professions to me in conversations and his personal conduct told me he loved the Lord, inspite of his affiliations. I didn't hear from him for about a year, and I had heard through a mutual friend that he had quit taking his meds. I called him out of concern. It turns out that after he quit his meds, he went to a cabin that he owned, surrounded it with rocks and burned it to the ground. The authorities were notified and he was rounded up and committed. After the State let him out, he got in a car and was involved in a collision on the freeway and killed.

Question; Would it have been better had he stayed on his Lithium?

The brain is the most complex organ we have and the most fascinating of God's creations. It isn't as if it "works or it doesn't". Just as with the more simple organs in our body, the brain can have minor problems. It is true, there is no way of accurately figuring these things out--yet. But need I remind you that there was a time when Doctors would deal with corpses and then go deliver babies without washing their hands? And, the "germ theory" of illness was balked against for a long time--until it was proven.

Until such time as they can figure out what goes on neurologically at these levels, and actually quantify the problem, they are stuck doing the best they can (I refer to doctors). The fact that psychotropic meds are OVER-prescribed does not take away from their legitimate use.

I don't doubt that their may be problems in the spirit-realm in some cases. But in these cases I would suspect that psychotropic medication would not alter the peson's behavior, as I assume demons are a bit more stout than Lithium.

We all tend to see life through our own fun-house mirror. For those of us who are a bit more "Vulcan" by nature, it may be difficult to understand how someone can lose control over their emotions, just the same as those with higher pain threshholds can't understand a person saying "OUCH!" when they stub their toe. But I believe we are called to imitate Christ and his compassion toward the afflicted. I tend to be harsh in my assesment of people sometimes, and so I try to err on the side of caution, lest I be found to be like Bildad, Eliphaz and Zophar. :o

If "managing" a severe mental problem is the best a person can do (much like "managing" back pain if surgery is not an option) then I would say better that than what I have seen the alternative can be. One day, all of this will be a bad memory anyway...

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:52 am

Having been suicidal pre-salvation, and having more friends than I can count who have committed suicide, I have a few observations.

Perhaps (I tend to doubt it) depression or other thoughts can be argued to be legit physical issues of chemical imbalances or whatever, however the choice of an action in response to fulfill ones feelings shows cognitive ability. The cognitive ability proves choice. One might be captive to any physical ailment, but it doesn't mean one is ever really captive to actions taken in response. Although spiritual influences may convince one that they are captive to their feelings.

I found two different types of suicidal ideations at different times in my life, and I attempted suicide in my own way (stories for another time). The first comes from despair/depression or other dark thoughts that drown a person. The second for me came from a feeling of gaining control over what I thought was controlling me.

With the first, I felt that suicide was the final loss, and I was ready to give in and surrender. I felt tired, beaten down, sad, and ready to throw in the towel.

When I hit the second type, I felt like I was in a place where I was not in control of myself, other forces had ahold of me, and suicide was my plan for taking control back and preventing myself from being controlled anymore. In the second type, suicide felt like it would be my final victory, my final act of controlling my fate. Suicide felt like a win, in this case.

Looking back, I can also put all my friends who have committed suicide into one of these two camps as well. In the end, it is based upon spiritual blindness.

To skip over a lot more that could be said, I believe suicide is a sin, yet I also believe most any singular act of giving into temptation and committing a sin will not make us lose our salvation. Thus, I believe one can fall into a sin, even suicide, and still be considered a Christian.

Don't even get me started on the medication I was put on... I'll leave it there, Tapatalk is really messing up on me, I can only see 3 lines of typing. I hope this sounds halfway coherent since I can't proof read it.

Pretty much, I agree with your opinion Steve.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:29 am

I don't so much claim to have an opinion on this issue yet (I haven't looked into the data myself)... as I am genuinely concerned about the secular consensus. More and more, it seems, our culture is declaring that actions are predetermined by genetic and/or environmental issues. I can't imagine the sick pleasure and sense of accomplishment this must bring to the enemy. In our culture, he seems to have succeeded in creating a culture where sin abounds, but 'sin' is simultaneously off the table of discussion.

I believe CS Lewis prophesied about this in The Screwtape Letters.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Matt,

I don't know that I agree that "actions" are predetermined by genetics (after all, Calvinists realize that God does that :lol: ). But I think "propensity toward a particular act" is. Why are some people hooked on cigarettes, alcohol, etc. from the get-go, and others are repulsed?

I used to think that "sin abounds" particularly now, especially when I was a JW and believed in the signs of the "last days". Then I read alot of history and realized that things are much the same as they have always been. In fact, things now in some ways are much better (from a standpoint of the commoness of sin) then at times in the past. Certain periods of the past were better (sexually perhaps in the Victorian era) but I think that what they specialized in was "hiding" it better. ;)

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:49 pm

TheEditor wrote: I don't know that I agree that "actions" are predetermined by genetics (after all, Calvinists realize that God does that :lol: ). But I think "propensity toward a particular act" is. Why are some people hooked on cigarettes, alcohol, etc. from the get-go, and others are repulsed?
My point wasn't that genetics don't play a role. My point was that they are not the sole factor. There's still a will.
I used to think that "sin abounds" particularly now, especially when I was a JW and believed in the signs of the "last days". Then I read alot of history and realized that things are much the same as they have always been. In fact, things now in some ways are much better (from a standpoint of the commoness of sin) then at times in the past. Certain periods of the past were better (sexually perhaps in the Victorian era) but I think that what they specialized in was "hiding" it better. ;)
My point wasn't that sin is worse now. My point was that its being re-classified as not sinful.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Fair enough. I think that reclassifying things as "not sinful" has been going on for about the past 45 years since our generous Forum Host's generation, you know, the hippies and such. :lol: But There are only a few select things I can think of that are being reclassified as "not sinful" due to genetic considerations. The things that come to mind are alcoholism and homosexuality. I can't think of too many other things. Maybe I'm obtuse. :shock:

Regards, Brenden.

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 pm

jaydam wrote:
To skip over a lot more that could be said, I believe suicide is a sin, yet I also believe most any singular act of giving into temptation and committing a sin will not make us lose our salvation. Thus, I believe one can fall into a sin, even suicide, and still be considered a Christian.

I have trouble with the fact there is no chance for repentance after suicide. Don't get me wrong, I lost a niece to suicide, so I'm open to any idea that she could still be saved.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I guess you can't repent from it since you aren't around to do so. So I guess we can leave it to God to determine if they would have repented, had they not been successful.

Regards, Brenden.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 pm

MMathis wrote:I have trouble with the fact there is no chance for repentance after suicide. Don't get me wrong, I lost a niece to suicide, so I'm open to any idea that she could still be saved.
Well, I hope nobody dies in a moment of any sin then. What happens if I convert my friend, he is driving down the road, sees a girl, lusts for her, then is t-boned by another car and dies instantly in that moment of lust? He never got to repent of his lust, and he even died in the sin. Did my friend lose his salvation? I don't think so.

I don't think every sin must have parallel repentance in the way you seem to see it.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”