Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
chrisdate

Re: Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children

Post by chrisdate » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 pm

look2jesus wrote:Since you are studying the subject, you might be interested in a recent project put together by a brother named Peter Grice, out of Australia, called Rethinking Hell. You can find it at rethinkinghell.com. There is also a facebook group by the same name that I would be happy to add you (or anyone else) to if you would like--just pm me here. The project is dedicated to promoting Conditional Immortality, but respectful interaction and discussion with traditionalists or universalists is certainly welcomed.
Thanks, l2j, for linking to our site! Though I am admittedly biased, I think Rethinking Hell is an excellent resource for anybody wanting to examine the claims of conditional immortality. Our very own Steve Gregg even wrote us an endorsement, which you can find by going to the site and clicking on "Endorsements" at the top :)

steve

Post by steve » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi john6809,

Thanks for posting the summary of Leviticus 26. As you probably know, many would say that we can't apply passages like that to the present question because it is specifically talking about God's dealings with Israel, who are/were His chosen people.

Chosen for what? Many Christians fail to realize that God did not choose Israel instead of the Gentiles, but He chose Israel as a people through whom He could bring His (same) salvation to the Gentiles (Gen.22:18). God does not love Jewish people more than he loves others. He chose them as the instrument through whom He could bring His love to the others.

To say that it is God's heart to correct and save only stubborn and rebellious Israel, simply because they are Israel, would be to miss God's point. He does not love stubborn and rebellious Israel any more than He loves stubborn and rebellious France, Argentina, Zambia or Thailand. His dealings with Israel are a revelation of His heart for the nations. Israel's history serves as a "pattern" of God's dealings with the world as a whole.
For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. (Rom.5:4)
Indeed He says, 'It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob, And to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles, That You should be My salvation to the ends of the earth.' " (Isa.49:6)

steve

Post by steve » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:51 pm

jriccitelli,

You wrote:
You cannot pick out or apply the verses that describe Gods love and promises only, then write off all the warnings of Judgment, wrath and doom as not applicable, Jesus and the New Testament writers have no problem quoting 'all' sections of Gods Word (all they had was the Old Testament).
You really haven't paid attention to anything anyone has said, have you? You just here for a monologue? Why in the world, at this late point in the discussion, would you say something as irrelevant as the quoted remark above? Who is there here who recommends "writing-off all the warnings of judgment"? Unlike yourself, I am advocating writing none of the scriptures off. I am as comfortable with the warnings of judgment as you are. You apparently are not aware that understanding scripture means interpreting it responsibly. That is what I recommend.

There are two sets of verses that come up in this discussion: 1) verses about judgment, and 2) verses about God's universal love for humanity. Now, we have several options:

a) Ignore the verses about judgment;

b) Ignore the verses about universal love;

c) Interpret all the verses in a way that harmonizes judgment with universal love.

It is clear that your approach is (b). Mine is (c). No one here is arguing for (a).

Is that putting things simply enough?

If we take the verses about universal love seriously (and what else would we do with them?) then even God's judgment must be in keeping with His omni-benevolent desire to save all people. Is there any way to harmonize these two ideas? Fortunately, the answer is "Yes." We see an example in the behavior of every loving father toward his children.

If we try to go the other way round, and try to harmonize God's omnibenevolence with His gratuitous punishment and destruction of sinners whom He might as easily have continued to bring to repentance, then we seem to be on a fool's errand.

AN ORIGINAL QUIZ FOR STUDENTS OF THE BIBLE:

I would like to ask jriccitelli and Homer to clarify your positions (others make take the quiz as well, of course). Please indicate which of the following propositions you are accepting and which you are denying, so that your position won't be so confusing:

1) God loves every person (affirm/deny)

2) Jesus died to save every person (affirm/deny)

3) God is not in a hurry or under externally imposed time limitations (affirm/deny)

4) God can do nothing for, and has no interaction with, a person after death (affirm/deny)

5) God would save a person who truly repents, right up to the moment before death (affirm/deny)

6) This is because God loves the sinner, right up to the point of death. (affirm/deny)

7) God stops loving people after they die, though they are the same people He loved a moment before they died (affirm/deny)

8) God loves a person at one point, and hates that same person at another only because that person had the effrontery to stop breathing (affirm/deny)

9) A man is not a worse sinner a moment after death than he was a moment before death (affirm/deny)

10) Some of the people God has saved during this lifetime have been as bad as any sinner who dies unsaved (affirm/deny)

11) If God wished, He could give postmortem opportunities for repentance (affirm/deny)

12) A God who is determined enough to save everyone (so as to die for them all) would probably not wish to lose them simply because they have experienced death (affirm/deny)

13) There are passages in scripture that speak of God using punishments to correct sinners (affirm/deny)

14) It would be possible for God to judge someone severely in time, but to save him in eternity (affirm/deny)

15) There are passages which teach God's ultimate, irretrievable loss of sinners, which no reasonable exegesis could see differently (affirm/deny)

16) Despite these considerations, it is more likely that God will eternally deprive Himself of souls for whom Christ died, than to give sinners further opportunities to repent postmortem (affirm/deny)

I can give unequivocal answers to these questions from my understanding of the issues. I assume you also can do so. PLease do us the service of letting us know where you stand on these points. Then, it may be possible to proceed in the discussion.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 am

Steve,

The use of human fathers as a type for how God must treat us is, in my opinion, questionable. First of all, I believe we in the West have a different perspective than cultures in the East or ancient Israel. For example, I am sure that although the father loves the child, in many places we hear that the father or other family members will kill a son, daughter, or sibling that brings dishonor upon the family. And we know the penalty for a rebellious son was death under the law. These practices are repulsive to us but these "children" are referenced in scripture as children of the devil, children of wrath.

There are varying circumstances regarding God as Father. First of all He is the Father of Jesus in a unique way. Jesus is the only begotten Son. His relation to the saved is a bit different. We are not natural sons but regenerated and adopted. And then He is Father in another sense to those who He created. Can we say He is wrong if His great patience runs out on some of the rebellious ones and He puts them out of their misery for good, knowing their case to be hopeless? Perhaps it is something like humans and their pets that they love. When their pet gets to a place where they are hopeless in their misery the loving thing to do is to "put them down". I see this as no different than annihilation.

And then again we hear the Jonathan Edwards strawman put forward as an argument against the "traditional" view. You know full well that many knowledgeable Christians who hold to the eternal punishment view do not see hell as Edwards saw it. But it is handy for the universalist. The "separation from God", "outer darkness", and variations can also be defended from the scriptures. I myself see the fires of hell as metaphorical. I see it likely, if the eternal punishment view is correct, that the lost will be separated from God in a sense we do not know in this world, a horrible place that we can only imagine. But in their hardened state they will be exactly where they want to be.
A God who could adopt a universalist system but chooses not to do so is not even quite as good as most good men
That is a shocking statement to hear; I can hardly believe you said it. And I thought Jepthah was rash! Certainly God can do anything He wants and if universalism is false I would not want to have judged God.

The continual reference to God as not as good as a human father if He doesn't do what we think proper is shallow thinking. Do we blame God for what happened recently in Newtown Connecticut? I have no doubt He could have prevented it if He chose to, but He allowed it to happen. Any decent human would have intervened given the opportunity, just as some teachers gave their lives to save the children. So are they better than God?

You recently asked for where the following statement was found in Schaff-Herzog:
But the writers defending the apocatastasis are decidedly in the minority; and so bad was the reputation of Origin for sound thinking that any theory known to be derived from him was was looked at askance by the sober-minded.
This statement is found in my hard copy on p. 210, volume 1, subject Apocatastasis, immediately following section 1., Earliest Advocates. I have also read it on the electronic edition available on the internet.

Earlier you mentioned that this discussion about hell was something of a private discussion among Christians. This is not so (not regarding the Christian part) because this forum, as are other Christian forums, is accessed by a Google search rather easily. More than once I have searched for information on Google and the result prominently displayed a post from this forum. The world can easily read topics posted here.

look2jesus

Post by look2jesus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:14 am

Hi Jeremiah,

I do post (usually at the fb group) at rethinking hell and I think it's a great resource with some great guys and gals attached to it. I don't recall if I signed in over at the .com site as look2jesus (probably I did) but you would find me at the fb group under my actual name--John Johnson.

Take care,

l2j
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowlege and discernment...Philippians 1:9 ESV

steve

Post by steve » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Homer,
The use of human fathers as a type for how God must treat us is, in my opinion, questionable. First of all, I believe we in the West have a different perspective than cultures in the East or ancient Israel. For example, I am sure that although the father loves the child, in many places we hear that the father or other family members will kill a son, daughter, or sibling that brings dishonor upon the family. And we know the penalty for a rebellious son was death under the law. These practices are repulsive to us but these "children" are referenced in scripture as children of the devil, children of wrath.
I have said nothing about "how God must treat us." You are arguing against someone other than me. There are people who seem to think that they can dictate to God what He must or must not do. I am not in that group. I am desiring to discover what God actually revealed about His own character and behavior. He is the one who encourages us to look at earthly fathers to understand Him.

If you think that "honor killings" are a good reflection of God's concept of fathering, we will have to live with the disagreement. Under the law, there are indeed cases where a father, as an agent of society, had to participate in the execution of a rebellious child. One can hardly believe that such a father, unless himself a monster, could ever regard the task as anything other than horribly repugnant to him, or, if he were God, would have set up a system in which he would have obligated himself to do such a thing. I think Jesus defined a father's heart in terms we can all relate to: "If you fathers, being evil, give good gifts to your children..."

It is Jesus who invited the comparison with earthly fathers. He assumed we knew what fathers are like—good ones, that is. It makes more sense to try to deny God's universal fatherhood than to accept it and still argue that He created a system in which He must necessarily give up on His pursuit of His lost sons at some arbitrarily-determined point.
Can we say He is wrong if His great patience runs out on some of the rebellious ones and He puts them out of their misery for good, knowing their case to be hopeless?
No, I would not say God is wrong to do any such thing. The question is whether His doing so is what is taught in scripture. God has the prerogative to do many things that do not agree with His character. It is the character of God that I have been addressing, not His prerogatives. If a situation truly is "hopeless" then it would make sense to put a man down like a rabid dog. I have made this point frequently myself, when giving the case for conditionalism. The question is whether the Bible represents any case as ultimately "hopeless."

And then again we hear the Jonathan Edwards strawman put forward as an argument against the "traditional" view. You know full well that many knowledgeable Christians who hold to the eternal punishment view do not see hell as Edwards saw it.
Of course, I know that. That is one reason he does not come up in these discussions much.
I see it likely, if the eternal punishment view is correct, that the lost will be separated from God in a sense we do not know in this world, a horrible place that we can only imagine. But in their hardened state they will be exactly where they want to be.
So, on this view, God has perpetual enemies for eternity, whom He has never been successful in defeating. Whence, then, all the biblical language declaring Christ's amazing victory over Satan. Looks like Satan is the decisive winner in your system.

I wrote:
A God who could adopt a universalist system but chooses not to do so is not even quite as good as most good men
To which you replied:
That is a shocking statement to hear; I can hardly believe you said it. And I thought Jepthah was rash!
I did not write rashly. In fact, I was fully aware of the import of my statement, and re-read it several times before posting, just to make sure it was not inaccurate. I included the proper conditions in the statement. If someone is in the position to do something helpful for another person, and does not choose to do so (like the priest and the Levite in the story of the Samaritan), then that person, by Jesus' definition, is not good.

On your view, God is not capable of adopting a universalist system (because human free will is unconquerable—except for yours and mine, of course!), which preserves the possibility of His being "good," despite His not having saved everyone. I left room for that possibility in my statement. It was hypothetical, based on what the Bible teaches about goodness. That is the option your system chooses. God is good—but simply impotent. His creatures are ultimately stronger than He is. He has indeed created a rock that even He cannot move.

Maybe so. However, I have inside knowledge of human nature—being a human myself. I know that I am a sinner, and capable of great rebellion—but I think not infinite rebellion. It is hard to think that a finite creature is capable of any infinite attribute. I think human resistance can be worn down, given enough time. You either believe that man's resistance can never be worn down, even by a God who has infinite time at HIs disposal (which preserves His goodness, despite His failure), or else that man's resistance could be worn down, but God hasn't the patience to keep at it. If man is incapable of infinite resistance (I have heard that this fact has been proven by human torturers), then God's giving up on the process simply can be attributed to God's impatience. Impatience is not a good attribute, according to scripture—nor is it one of God's.

Picture a man who has a son born with a crippling disability that will kill him, if not cured. This is a true analogy of what the Bible portrays as God's position. Now imagine that that father (unlike ordinary mortals) is actually capable, if he wishes, of working on his son's rehabilitation without interruption forever, but he arbitrarily sets a limit on how long he will do so, although his continuing may well bring about a full recovery. Such a father does not love his son "with an everlasting love." With this father, it cannot be said that "love never fails." This is a father who is not as good as many fathers would be. Is this the kind of father that God is? If so, He might somehow be a good God, but not a very good father.

If certain people are infinitely "hopeless," then I fully agree that God will have to annihilate them. He would still be both good and loving in such a case. But on what basis can we declare that anyone is infinitely hopeless? The Bible seems to be written to dispel the idea that, where God is, things remain hopeless. If universalism isn't true, then annihilationism is—but it is hard to imagine that a God who has infinite time, power, wisdom, and resources would not be able to come up with a plan in which He gains more than He loses.
Certainly God can do anything He wants and if universalism is false I would not want to have judged God.
Me too. If universalism is false, then man must be capable of defeating God. Possibly so.
The continual reference to God as not as good as a human father if He doesn't do what we think proper is shallow thinking. Do we blame God for what happened recently in Newtown Connecticut? I have no doubt He could have prevented it if He chose to, but He allowed it to happen. Any decent human would have intervened given the opportunity, just as some teachers gave their lives to save the children. So are they better than God?
Nonesense. This is indeed shallow thinking. God allows everyone to die. He could delay it, but not indefinitely. When God decides to take His children home, it is no less loving for Him to use a gunman for this than a tumor. If God allows an unbeliever to die, this is not unloving if, by doing so, God intends to graduate that person to the next level of moral education. If God unnecessarily kills people prematurely, merely in order to send them to an eternal hell, then, yes, that is hard to reconcile with either His goodness or His love.
You recently asked for where the following statement was found in Schaff-Herzog:

But the writers defending the apocatastasis are decidedly in the minority; and so bad was the reputation of Origin for sound thinking that any theory known to be derived from him was was looked at askance by the sober-minded.
What I asked you about this quote was not where it was found (I think you had already given the reference), but what time period it was being applied to.
Earlier you mentioned that this discussion about hell was something of a private discussion among Christians. This is not so (not regarding the Christian part) because this forum, as are other Christian forums, is accessed by a Google search rather easily. More than once I have searched for information on Google and the result prominently displayed a post from this forum. The world can easily read topics posted here.
I do not expect this to be a totally private, in-house discussion among Christians. Anyone may show up. But then, I would not post anything here that I would not wish for an unbeliever to read. I am only interested in saying things agreeable with what the scripture teaches. I think God knew that unbelievers might, at times, pick up and read a Bible. I don't think He said anything there that embarrasses Him. His love for sinners, Christ's determination to save them, and everything I have posted are actually things that God must want us all to know.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 am

Hi steve,

You wrote:
On your view, God is not capable of adopting a universalist system (because human free will is unconquerable—except for yours and mine, of course!), which preserves the possibility of His being "good," despite His not having saved everyone. I left room for that possibility in my statement. It was hypothetical, based on what the Bible teaches about goodness. That is the option your system chooses. God is good—but simply impotent. His creatures are ultimately stronger than He is. He has indeed created a rock that even He cannot move.
This is not what I said or think. I believe that God places a high value on free will. The universalist system is not compatible with free will but is coercive. People are tormented (tortured?) until they say "uncle". Love that is coerced is not love at all. That seems simple to me. Love is a characteristic of God and equally so is free will, which we have, being created in His image.

Robert Wilken notes that a common objection to Christianity was that God had neglected those who are unevangelized in this life, that no provision had been made for their salvation (The Christians As The Romans Saw Them [New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1984], p. 181). He attributes forms of such an objection to Celsus, Porphyry, and Julian the Apostate. If most Christians thought that there would be opportunity to convert after death or that all would go to Heaven without any such conversion, why did the objection Wilken refers to become so popular and so prominent?

Here is a short blog article you might find interesting re early Christians and universalism:

http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... early.html

And an excerpt from the article:
Robert Wilken notes that a common objection to Christianity was that God had neglected those who are unevangelized in this life, that no provision had been made for their salvation (The Christians As The Romans Saw Them [New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1984], p. 181). He attributes forms of such an objection to Celsus, Porphyry, and Julian the Apostate. If most Christians thought that there would be opportunity to convert after death or that all would go to Heaven without any such conversion, why did the objection Wilken refers to become so popular and so prominent?

Why are alleged references to universalism in the early sources so few in number and so difficult to discern where they allegedly exist? Let's assume that men like Polycarp, Justin Martyr, and Irenaeus were universalists. Is it likely that they would repeatedly refer to "fire that burns forever", "eternal punishment", what "will" happen to the unrighteous, etc., yet never accompany those comments with references to universalism? Or would they refer to universalism, but only do so in such a subtle way, so that the large majority of readers, including the large majority of scholars, have misunderstood them? Is it likely that so many patristic sources would so often seem to be saying something other than what they meant?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Homer wrote:The use of human fathers as a type for how God must treat us is, in my opinion, questionable. First of all, I believe we in the West have a different perspective than cultures in the East or ancient Israel. For example, I am sure that although the father loves the child, in many places we hear that the father or other family members will kill a son, daughter, or sibling that brings dishonor upon the family. And we know the penalty for a rebellious son was death under the law. These practices are repulsive to us but these "children" are referenced in scripture as children of the devil, children of wrath.
Homer, if our present laws permitted it, would you be willing to kill one of your sons or daughters if they were rebellious or is they brought dishonour on your family?

If so, then we understand you — your position and your attitudes, and how you identify with God's character as you see it.

If not, and yet if God does much more to the majority of his created offspring (created in His image) than to kill them, that is, send them to hell forever for their past sin, then you must be more loving than God Himself!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Well, I'll get the ball rolling by sharing my responses to the QUIZ (in red).

1) God loves every person (affirm/deny)

2) Jesus died to save every person (affirm/deny)

3) God is not in a hurry or under externally imposed time limitations (affirm/deny)

4) God can do nothing for, and has no interaction with, a person after death (affirm/deny)

5) God would save a person who truly repents, right up to the moment before death (affirm/deny)

6) This is because God loves the sinner, right up to the point of death. (affirm/deny)

7) God stops loving people after they die, though they are the same people He loved a moment before they died (affirm/deny)

8) God loves a person at one point, and hates that same person at another only because that person had the effrontery to stop breathing (affirm/deny)

9) A man is not a worse sinner a moment after death than he was a moment before death (affirm/deny)

10) Some of the people God has saved during this lifetime have been as bad as any sinner who dies unsaved (affirm/deny)

11) If God wished, He could give postmortem opportunities for repentance (affirm/deny)

12) A God who is determined enough to save everyone (so as to die for them all) would probably not wish to lose them simply because they have experienced death (affirm/deny)

13) There are passages in scripture that speak of God using punishments to correct sinners (affirm/deny)

14) It would be possible for God to judge someone severely in time, but to save him in eternity (affirm/deny)

15) There are passages which teach God's ultimate, irretrievable loss of sinners, which no reasonable exegesis could see differently (affirm/deny)

16) Despite these considerations, it is more likely that God will eternally deprive Himself of souls for whom Christ died, than to give sinners further opportunities to repent postmortem (affirm/deny)

Of course, I suppose one could anticipate the answers of a reconciliationist. Yet, I urge others to take the QUIZ. It will indeed provide us with a better understanding of your position — whatever it may be.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Bud

Post by Bud » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:26 pm

I would like to ask jriccitelli and Homer to clarify your positions (others make take the quiz as well, of course). Please indicate which of the following propositions you are accepting and which you are denying, so that your position won't be so confusing:

1) God loves every person (affirm/deny) affirm

2) Jesus died to save every person (affirm/deny) affirm

3) God is not in a hurry or under externally imposed time limitations (affirm/deny) affirm

4) God can do nothing for, and has no interaction with, a person after death (affirm/deny) deny

5) God would save a person who truly repents, right up to the moment before death (affirm/deny) affirm

6) This is because God loves the sinner, right up to the point of death. (affirm/deny) affirm

7) God stops loving people after they die, though they are the same people He loved a moment before they died (affirm/deny) deny

8) God loves a person at one point, and hates that same person at another only because that person had the effrontery to stop breathing (affirm/deny) deny

9) A man is not a worse sinner a moment after death than he was a moment before death (affirm/deny) don't know, probably not

10) Some of the people God has saved during this lifetime have been as bad as any sinner who dies unsaved (affirm/deny) affirm

11) If God wished, He could give postmortem opportunities for repentance (affirm/deny) don't know God's will here. If it was not His will to do so, don't think He would wish it. I often have the suspicion that God does wish it and does it.

12) A God who is determined enough to save everyone (so as to die for them all) would probably not wish to lose them simply because they have experienced death (affirm/deny) basically the same answer as 11

13) There are passages in scripture that speak of God using punishments to correct sinners (affirm/deny) affirm

Basically same answer as 11
15) There are passages which teach God's ultimate, irretrievable loss of sinners, which no reasonable exegesis could see differently (affirm/deny) deny

16) Despite these considerations, it is more likely that God will eternally deprive Himself of souls for whom Christ died, than to give sinners further opportunities to repent postmortem (affirm/deny) don't know

I can give unequivocal answers to these questions from my understanding of the issues. I assume you also can do so. PLease do us the service of letting us know where you stand on these points. Then, it may be possible to proceed in the discussion.

Sorry that I could not live up to the given assumption in the last paragraph Steve, I must confess my ignorance.

Thank you for this opportunity to weigh in,
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

Return to “Radio Program Topics”