Once Saved Always Saved

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
PWS

Once Saved Always Saved

Post by PWS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:53 pm

On the broadcast of 07-20-11 one caller said that he believed that one could not lose their salvation. In the discussion, Steve directed him to Matthew 10:33--"But whosoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." The caller agreed with Steve on this, but then he mentioned people he knew who were not living as Christians but still attending church. The inference seemed to be that certainly these people were not denying Christ--after all, they were attending church! If one were to ask them, "Do you believe in God or in Christ," they would most definitely give you a resounding "Yes." My dictionary says, "DENY implies a firm refusal to accept as true, to grant or concede, or to acknowledge the existence or claims of." We are not our own; we have been bought with a price. If we do not accept this truth--and Jesus is THE truth--and abide in Christ, then, in effect, we are denying Him by how we live. As they say, actions speak louder than words. If I live my life according to my own will, serving my own desires and refuse to live with Jesus as my Lord, church attendance is not going to save me! I can go to church and still be lost. What do you think?

RICHinCHRIST

Re: Once Saved Always Saved

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm

PWS wrote:On the broadcast of 07-20-11 one caller said that he believed that one could not lose their salvation. In the discussion, Steve directed him to Matthew 10:33--"But whosoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." The caller agreed with Steve on this, but then he mentioned people he knew who were not living as Christians but still attending church. The inference seemed to be that certainly these people were not denying Christ--after all, they were attending church! If one were to ask them, "Do you believe in God or in Christ," they would most definitely give you a resounding "Yes." My dictionary says, "DENY implies a firm refusal to accept as true, to grant or concede, or to acknowledge the existence or claims of." We are not our own; we have been bought with a price. If we do not accept this truth--and Jesus is THE truth--and abide in Christ, then, in effect, we are denying Him by how we live. As they say, actions speak louder than words. If I live my life according to my own will, serving my own desires and refuse to live with Jesus as my Lord, church attendance is not going to save me! I can go to church and still be lost. What do you think?
Hi PWS,

I did not hear today's broadcast, but I agree with you. The Bible says that God will judge us according to our works (Psalm 62:12, Rom. 2:6, Matt. 16:27, Rev. 20:13). However, we are clearly saved by grace through faith (Eph. 2:8-9). Therefore, it seems that one's works determine what they actually believe. One can claim to be following Jesus and follow the traditions of men, but not be following Christ. If one truly believes Christ is the Son of God and was raised from the dead, their lifestyle will inevitably be changed in light of those facts.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:55 pm

We are being saved from sin by grace though faith — saved from actual sin in our lives. This is not salvation from hell. Being saved from hell is a consequence of being saved from sin.

Paul teaches in Romans 2, that what we receive in the after life depends on our works — practising righteousness and seeking the approval of God — seeking glory, honour, and immortality from God. He says that if we serve ourselves and are not persuaded by the truth of God but are carried away in wickedness, we shall receive the wrath and fury of God.

For he will render to everyone according to his works: to those who by perseverance in well‑doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, he will give lasting life; but for those who are self-seeking and are not persuaded by the truth, but are persuaded by wickedness, there will be wrath and fury.

Affliction and anguish for every person who does evil ... but glory and honour and well-being for every one who does good ... For God shows no partiality. (Romans 2:6-11)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Adamoverseer

Post by Adamoverseer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Well Its my opinion that one CAN lose his salvation. In John 10:29 Jesus says " my father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." Now, please note, he said no one can take them out of his hand, he never said whether one could take him self out of his hand. If you look in Romans 10:9 it says " that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and you believe in your heart that God raised HIm from the dead, you will be saved." This is a condtional staement. Therefore if you stop believing you lose your salvation. One might say, well- he was never a believer in the 1st place. Well... your welcome to your interpretations but in the stratosphere of my understanding of the topic- if someone believes, whether for a short while or forever, he or she did believe. I suppose one could go into another topic of why one believes? Are you like a Mormon? One who goes off of a spiritual experience with no physical evidence? (ie archaeology) Do you go off of historical facts or apologetics? both? I've known people close to me who are no longer believers. One lost his mother to cancer. A women who taught at a Catholic school, a wonderful women in God's kingdom. After my friend prayed that she might be healed, found that the cancer won. He then started down the path of no being able to observe God working, kinda like Michael the Buddist. But isn't this what faith is all about? Believing yet not seeing? Job lost everything yet he still believed. He didn't understand why bad things happened to him yet he never departed from the faith. Those are my thoughts on the topic.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”