Mt. 7:21-23 "Not all who say Lord, Lord".

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
BrianK

Mt. 7:21-23 "Not all who say Lord, Lord".

Post by BrianK » Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 am

Mt. 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?"
23 And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."

Could this not be construed as Jesus giving an illustration of people seeking to gain Kingdom entrance based on their works/merit/performance? Along the lines of, "But what about all the doors we knocked on handing out Watch Tower literature?" And Jesus saying, "not that or even going as far as casting out demons and performing wonders, will gain you entrance into My Kingdom"... "But rather complete trust in Me and My Blood I shed for you as an atonement alone, will you come to the Father, into the Kingdom."
The will of the Father being, putting trust in Jesus alone for Salvation?

Jacob

Re: Mt. 7:21-23 "Not all who say Lord, Lord".

Post by Jacob » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I don't think the point here is works v. faith. I think what he is trying to point out is that even if you have these gifts given to you, and you even perform miracles, it doesn't mean anything if you aren't obeying God. God's will is what is important, not even good works. There are many good works you can do, but only one God is calling you to do right now.

Paidion

Re: Mt. 7:21-23 "Not all who say Lord, Lord".

Post by Paidion » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks Jacob. I was going to write something similar, but now I don't need to do so.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”