Does this annoy anybody else?

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
dorianleigh

Re: Does this annoy anybody else?

Post by dorianleigh » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

First of all, I agree with you in terms of different personalities being annoying at times. When you refer to something being "beneficial" to others, that is a very subjective statement. I'm sure the person who is calling feels that what they have to say is very beneficial or they wouldn't be calling. I believe that we all struggle with being focused upon what WE feel is beneficial and therein lies one of the biggest challenges of walking in love. It is not humanly possible to walk in love which is the reason we need Jesus. When I'm annoyed by a person, I realize that I need to look inward and ask the Lord to show me what it is in me that is not able to value that person's opinion as much as my own. Why do I feel that I have the right to judge whether or not what another believer has to say is beneficial or not?

I continue to be refreshed by this radio broadcast and love the fact that the screener doesn't get all up in my business, but rather gives me the freedom to speak directly with Steve. I also understand that Steve is just another believer and is not on any pedestal which keeps me from placing unrealistic expectations upon him. When I hear a caller talking about something that I feel is wasting air time, I pray for Steve to have the discernment he needs to end the call, while understanding that Steve is not Jesus and is still growing and learning with the rest of us. Boundaries are a learned experience and we need the Lord's discernment in knowing when to end a conversation because our flesh is wanting to be right and overpower the other person, or because the conversation is not productive to the listeners. Air time is expensive and sometimes people who are calling in don't understand that even a minute wasted is relevant. Who determines whether or not a minute is being wasted? Steve is leading this ship and if we disagree with him, we need to pray for both the caller who is annoying us, as well as for Steve. There have been many times I disagreed with how the Lord has dealt with a person and it is then that I'm reminded that He is God and I'm not, so I need to get over myself.....

It seems that if we have an issue with Steve, wouldn't it be appropriate to send him a private e-mail? Is Steve teachable? I don't know him, so I can't say, but I would pray that he is. I'm very new to this website and his radio program so at this point I don't know if he learns from his callers and admits when they have been used by the Lord to show him his blindspots. I do know however, that if I were seen as a "Bible expert", I could easily become prideful and not want to be shown where I was wrong out of fearing the loss of my credibility. I suppose if I were to have the supernatural ability to see My credibility as being from HIM, then perhaps I could remain humble. I don't think I've grown to that place yet, but I'll still keep climbing that mountain!

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 am

Hi Dorian,

I think Steve is teachable, but like with anyone, corrections or new ideas need time to take root. No doubt after a programme is over he will chew on things and think, "hmm, maybe he or she has a point there".

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

Show me an example where something has been pulled for reasons you believe would be unwarranted. We seldom do that, and never simply because we disagree.

wwalkeriv

Post by wwalkeriv » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Concerning the caller, Michael, I enjoy hearing his viewpoints. I find it helpful to see what other religions think. I do hope he turns to Christ at some point. Maybe God will use TNP to help him get there.

Whatever happened to the atheist caller that was a regular about a year ago. I think he took a road trip with Steve one time, and I think I remember him calling and asking for prayers one time. I haven't heard him in a while.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Chris, the atheist, moved to Southern California. He had lived and listened to my program in Portland. Though we did not go on a road trip, we did spend several hours together a couple of times, and he attended a meeting in McMinnville with me. Since he moved, I have not heard much from him, though he is still a Facebook friend, I believe.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”