Regarding the opening song for the program..

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
brody196

Regarding the opening song for the program..

Post by brody196 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:44 am

Hey Steve,

I had an idea regarding the opening music that plays at the beginning of the show everyday...Why not mix it up one day and play my recorded piece! It has a similar vibe and would compliment the show perfectly. Here it is....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f941jbsFR9M

thrombomodulin

Re: Regarding the opening song for the program..

Post by thrombomodulin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:41 pm

For your amusement: I just started beginning playing yesterday's broadcast, and then walked for a moment out of the room. I heard my wife begin whistling to the introduction music. She's never done this before. Steve's opening words were "I wonder how many of you whistle along..." speaking of the intro music. While, there is at least one!
Pete

brody196

Post by brody196 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:48 pm

thrombomodulin wrote:For your amusement: I just started beginning playing yesterday's broadcast, and then walked for a moment out of the room. I heard my wife begin whistling to the introduction music. She's never done this before. Steve's opening words were "I wonder how many of you whistle along..." speaking of the intro music. While, there is at least one!
Pete

LOL...I do the same thing everyday when I listen to the show...I am a terrible whistler though...If I could master the Andy Griffith theme song, I could die a happy man.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Ha. I am so fond of the narrow path theme song... this may sound weird but it is somewhat therapeutic. I like it better than the Road to Find Out music.

Jarrod
brody196 wrote:
thrombomodulin wrote:For your amusement: I just started beginning playing yesterday's broadcast, and then walked for a moment out of the room. I heard my wife begin whistling to the introduction music. She's never done this before. Steve's opening words were "I wonder how many of you whistle along..." speaking of the intro music. While, there is at least one!
Pete

LOL...I do the same thing everyday when I listen to the show...I am a terrible whistler though...If I could master the Andy Griffith theme song, I could die a happy man.

Joan

Post by Joan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:39 pm

I grew up listening to my dad's whistling, and it was always such a fun, happy sound. I LOVE the entry to TNP! Distinctive, warm, and inviting, and I think it well represents what TNP is all about. Of course I am a newer listener, but I can't imagine ever getting tired of it!

Ian

Post by Ian » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:08 am

Ha. I am so fond of the narrow path theme song... this may sound weird but it is somewhat therapeutic. I like it better than the Road to Find Out music.
I agree, Jarrod. I`m not a fan of Cat Steven`s voice if I`m honest, though I see the reason why Steve chose it as a theme and I suppose the opening music for a radio show for non-christians has to be more upbeat to catch attention. But the whistling tune is wonderfully inviting. Nothing could ever fit better.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey brody,

I have a feeling steve may not have seen this thread...?

I love your guitar playing (I remember you posted some before too, or maybe it was on facebook?)...but the whistling tune is so distinctive & recognizable, so far it looks like there may be a mutiny if it's changed for the TNP... !

p.s.
myself, I love the Cat Stevens song on the Road To Find Out too...and always liked his voice :)
Suzana

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:26 pm

I love the opening theme. I can't whistle, but I hum it, sometimes I catch my son humming it as well...now if I can only catch him listening to the talking parts of the show.

For the record, I like Cat Stevens' voice. If a vote is being tallied, that's one for the whistle tune and one for Cat.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Hey brody,

I have a feeling steve may not have seen this thread...?
I heard it, and I really liked the song you played, Brody. I have been impressed with your musicianship from the first time I was in your home and heard you play.

I am pretty attached to the theme music we have, though. When I was first thinking about starting the show, back in 1997, I gave a lot of thought to what kind of theme music to use. There was actually a recorded song by another of my friends, Philip Telfer, that was called "The Narrow Path," which I liked, but it didn't have the "feel" I was after. John Marr's little ditty seemed just right!

In the days when I was approaching radio station managers with the proposal to go on their stations, when they heard the song, they often turned their noses up at it, initially. They would almost always say, "I think you need something more exciting, with more energy and a beat, to catch people's attention."

I was unconvinced. I would say, "I am not trying to catch an audience with that kind of stimulation. I am appealing to more mature, pensive, and relaxed listeners, and this song seems to have the same 'vibe' that I myself have as a host—at least I think so." They never objected strongly, so I overrode their initial suggestions. My guess is that the tune has now grown on them. All of the station managers I have personal talked with seem to love the show as it is.

Joan

Post by Joan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Brody's song is fantastic. I know... Maybe it's time for a third program!

Return to “Radio Program Topics”