"Jesus" in America's founding documents

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
wwalkeriv

"Jesus" in America's founding documents

Post by wwalkeriv » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:54 am

On a previous show Steve brought up that the founding documents do not contain the word "Jesus", and how could a country refer to itself as a Christian nation when the word "Jesus" is no where in the their founding document. He contrasted this by saying that several European countries have "Jesus" in their founding documents.

Can anyone tell me which European countries have "Jesus" in their founding documents? I'm trying to research this and am not having much luck. 2 or 3 examples would be appreciated.

thrombomodulin

Re: "Jesus" in America's founding documents

Post by thrombomodulin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:07 pm

You might find David Barton helpful. I have heard from others that he has undertaken the task of demonstrating the Christian influence in the founding documents of the USA. I myself have only had minimal exposure to him - I have only watched a couple videos made by him on youtube within the past year. My understanding is that the founding fathers based their ideas on John Locke and Samuel Rutherford (among others) who were attempting to reason from the bible to define the limit of government authority.

Priestly1

Post by Priestly1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:07 pm

I am a Theo-Conservative Constitutionalist. Christianity is not in our Founding documents or Constitution. They are Theistic documents which speak in theistic and classical humanist liberalism. I see nothing in them that contradicts Biblical Faith, Morals and Ethics. They defend our God granted rights as humans: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness (originally Property). They define the Duties, Rights and Procedures Granted by the States to the Federal Government...with everything else not granted by specificity retained by the granting States. It defends Religion by not allow the Federal Government to dictate or control it. It recognized a Divine Creator, but does so generically in keeping with it's principle of religious liberty. It is neither Christian or Unchristian.....it is Theistic.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

A few years ago I heard David Barton speak, on a Christian TV station, around the 4th of July that year. It was fascinating. I took extensive notes, but if it hadn't been for my DVR and being able to stop, pause and go back I would never have gotten it all. He spoke on how many of our original leaders had seminary degrees. That Congress use to begin each session with hours of prayer. That Bibles were used as text books in schools. And on and on. I saved this recording on my DVR for a long time, but when I moved I'm sad to say it was lost when I had my service reinstalled at the new address. I still have my notes, but like most of my stuff, it is now in storage and who knows which box... If this program is ever repeated I would love to catch it again.

God Bless you all

Return to “Radio Program Topics”