Binding and Loosing

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
SteveF

Binding and Loosing

Post by SteveF » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

The other day the subject of binding and loosing came up on the radio program. For some time now I’ve seen Matthew 18 and 1 Cor 5 as a possible parallel and clue as to what one form of binding and loosing may be. I don’t necessarily see the usage of the word as static and only applicable to this type of scenario but there seems be some connection between these two passages.

Here are the particular parts of the passage I have in mind:

1Co 5:4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus,
1Co 5:5 you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.

And

Mat 18:17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
Mat 18:18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 18:19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.
Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them."

Here’s where I see the parallels in each passage:

Both of the passages talk about being gathered in Jesus name:

1Co 5:4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus,

Mat 18:19 …, if two of you agree

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name

Both passages talk about the presence of Christ in the matter:

Mat 18:20 …..there am I (Jesus) among them

Paul seems to be applying the principle of agreement by saying his “spirit is present”:

Mat 18:19 ….if two of you agree

Since Matthew 18 and I Cor 5 are both talking about the subject of Church discipline and given the parallels shown above, I think the following scriptures are likely parallel events:

I Cor 5:5 “deliver this man to Satan”

and

Matt 18 “let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector” and “whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven”,

To reiterate, I don’t necessarily think this is the only use of the words “bind and loose”. I simply think Paul may have been instructing the Corinthian Church to apply a particular concept of binding and loosing as taught by Jesus in Matthew 18.

Any feedback?

Thanks
Steve

steve7150

Re: Binding and Loosing

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:44 am

Matt 18 “let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector” and “whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven”,

As we know Matthew often used the word "heaven" instead of God and i think Jesus is speaking about Satan being bound or loosed through us but by the power of God working through the believer.
If someone needs to be subject to Satan for the destruction of the flesh , then it s/b done as Jesus and Paul seem to say. The outcast loses his authority over Satan , and Satan is loosed against him, at least that's my take.

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Steve,

Thanks for addressing this topic. I've never been comfortable with the way I've heard people make use of "binding and loosing," particularly in regards to Satan. It reminds me of children snapping toy pistols in the face of a terrorist, and I want nothing to do with it.

Your suggestion makes more sense. What I hear is the Lord saying, "I give you authority to act in My name. If you are in agreement that the man is unrepentant, I am with you; you speak for Me, and I will stand behind you." Paul's instructions seem to parallel this passage. I don't know if he had access to Matthew's writings at the time, but if he did, I'd assume he was referencing Matthew 18, saying, "The principle is the same."

"The outcast loses his authority over Satan, and Satan is loosed against him." Hmm. A sobering thought. How did Steve Gregg deal with it?

Joan

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Joan,

While I can’t categorically confirm or deny the experience of individuals who claim to bind and loose Satan, I can say that there is no example in scripture of it being done. In fact, the clearest picture we have of spiritual warfare in the bible (and only a glimpse at that) is in Daniel. In this case Daniel was not speaking to Satan and “doing warfare” with him but rather he was praying to God.

Also, the spiritual warfare mentioned in the New Testament speaks more about our battle to live a righteous and victorious Christian life.

I’m not unduly concerned if someone has an experience not mentioned in scripture but I am concerned when it is being taught and propagated as an integral method in dealing with Satan when the scripture is silent on that particular method.

Steve

Joan

Post by Joan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:55 pm

Steve,
I fully agree. And I keep thinking of the passage in Jude (vs 9) that says, "Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee!" I can't say I am especially learned in this field, but I'd like to stay as close to that model as I possibly can. Thanks again for sharing your insights.
In His wonderful name,
Joan

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Well the way i look at it is that John said "stronger is he who is in you then he who is in the world." Therefore because of the Holy Spirit in us IMHO we have authority over Satan. Neither Daniel or Michael had that grace from God.

Joan

Post by Joan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Good point!

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Mat 18:17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
Mat 18:18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

If he is to be to you "as a Gentile and tax collector", then he is not accepted as part of the fellowship. Gentiles (or "others") as well as tax collectors had to be regenerated before they could be part of the fellowship. The person who will not accept correction is to be "loosed" from the fellowship.

This is also what Paul recommended that the Corinthians do with the man who was copulating with his step-mother. He was loosed from the fellowship. But after the man had repented, Paul urged the Corinthians to forgive him and receive him again. The man was then bound back into the fellowship.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”