Is it a sin to not go to church?

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Homer

Re: Is it a sin to not go to church?

Post by Homer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm

Michelle, et al,

Perhaps it will help to consider Matthew 18:20 in its context:

Matthew 18:15-20 (New King James Version)
15. “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17. And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.
18. “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
19. “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20. For where two or three are gathered together in (Grk. eis) My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

In v. 17 we find the "church" twice mentioned. It seems obvious the meaning is the local assembly. The "two or three" in verse twenty informs us that even that small number may be considered "church". However, two or three people, or even hundreds of people gathered together, do not constitute "church". People gathered together to play games or watch movies and eat popcorn are not "church". Intentionality seems to make the gathering "church".

When Matthew wrote these words, he did not use the Greek preposition en which is often used with Jesus' name [ask in (Grk. en)my name, etc.], but he used the preposition eis. Eis denotes motion to or unto an object, with the purpose of reaching or touching it. From this comes the idea of the object toward which such motion is directed and for, or with respect to which such action or movement is made.

So I am thinking the number gathered, and the location, are irrelevant to constituting "church". What matters is that we gather intentionally with respect to and for Jesus through whom we worship the Father. After all, its His assembly (church). :D

Just my thoughts.
God bless, Homer

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks, Homer. Your post has really made me think quite a bit today.

I've got a lot of thoughts about it, but this one is at the forefront of my thinking: If intentionality is what makes any gathering church, then the sin would lie in intentionally not gathering with motion toward Jesus (or however it should be worded, probably just "in Jesus' name" for clarity.) The thing is that I strive to (though fail far too often) move in the direction of, and willfully following in the path of, Jesus at all times. I never intentionally avoid gathering with Christians, it's just that I don't always say, "I intend this, right now, and for the next hour or so, to be the gathering of my fellow christians and I in order to seek Jesus." Lately I have been doing that, however, on Sunday mornings, which makes it church, I guess, but it doesn't seem like it so often because there is little encouragement given, or even much interaction by me with my fellow believers. Perhaps this is the sin on my part? And perhaps my proclivity to be aloof is something I need to move beyond in order to truly repent of this sin?

Priestly1

Post by Priestly1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Happy Sabbath in Messiah!

Since the Church is an organic institution established by God in Christ, a Living Body of the Faithful representing him while he is in Heaven, it seems going to church is an interesting question. If we reject joining the gathering of our fellow members in Christ, as some do, it seems to be a question on why one self isolates or ceases to engage in meeting Christ Himself in the gathering of His members. Do we attend for ourselves, or for our fellow members? If we join together for mutual benefit and divine service then the reasons for not doing so seem a serious internal situation that needs inner review......if we meet for a "AmWay" sales meeting and to get fired up for the next sales promotion...then I see no problem for skipping. Christ is not a Business, the Gospel not a Product and we are not merchandisers.

Many folks attend a Christian Community (Local Church) and their meetings (Services, Studies and Groups) for the right reasons and give as much as they recieve from the Communion. But too many folks approach it with negative and preconceived notions and expectations which hamper or veto any form of real Christian Community and Service. Many isolationist "cowboy" christians (i.e. Me n Jesus/Personal Jesus types) approach Christian Community and Service in this way...and they get just what they expect..Nothing. Thus they "BURN OUT"...or become offended or repulsed..and then leave again. It is safer for them to remain un-plugged, un-challenged, un-engaged, un-affected and un-changed. They tend to be afraid of mutual accountability and mutual responsibility in a living social corporate setting. They fear social structure and the community discipline and the community authority which go with it......whether it be ancient in status, modern or various post modern types. It is the mistrust of any type of "joining" or "community structure" and all that it entails which seems to motivate most to resist "going to" any "Church."

I have held and thus have heard all the "reasons' for not going......even engaged in cherry picking the bible (Proof texting) to defend my behaviors past. Suspicious hearts and Cynical minds do this...even using Philiosophy to aid in our attempts to seem neutral on the issue, but really hiding our real motivations....we just don't want to be bothered, bored, responsible, accountable and challenged in my comfortable isolation. All we need is a personal Jesus, a private relationship...an INDIVIDUALISTIC FREE SPRITUALITY!! Well. That ain't Jesus, it ain't Gospel and it ain't spiritual.

The Son of God became a man, so that mankind (corporate) might become like Him. It is a Corporate Covenant with a People..a New Society of the Faithful in Christ. We only have a personal relationship with Christ insofar as we have personal relationship with each other as His Body Corporate. He is in us and so we engage Him among ourselves and reveal Him to the world by how we show that engaging LOVE. We are redeemed individually in a Corporate Context....Personal Individuality is secondary to the Divine Familial Society is concerned. If we cannot see that Christ Himself reveled this to us in His Life, His works, His Preachings and in His Death, then we need to rethink (metanoia) and repent (metanoia). As Individuals we are mere organs, but as the Body Complete we are Christ to the world. We read Christ or the Apostles and see the word "you" as personal...and we should...but is most often "You" in the plural sense.....You All. The Gospel is not to you alone, but to us ALL. A Community, a Society, a People called out in him to do Good Works in Him. We are a We Project, not a Me Project.

God ordained civil and social government....the Bible states it. He is our Father, Christ is our King and we are His subjects....subjects of His Dominion in Heaven and on Earth. He has established us under a Covenant with His Law carved in our Hearts....we have Community Leadership and a Code of Conduct. We have a Rule of Discipline by which we live and engage each other together, judge one another together and are disciplined accordingly by together. This does not sit well with the Modernist spirit and most definately with the Post Modernist spirit which is antiestablishmentarian and logically leads to anarchism.

Is it a sin not to "Go" to church? It is death to think you alone are the church....a finger cannot live long unattached.....Christ's blood will drain from it and it will die. Thus the old saying remains true: Outside the Church there is no Salvation. You may ask which church (i.e. sheepfold), and I will say the one nearest you that holds firmly to the Gospel, the Doctrines, the Rule of Discipline and the Faith once for all delivered to the saints complete......over look the style, the shell.....see the Operating System. If it is not Christ and they do now Show Christ...then seek the next nearest....over look the meeting place or numbers.

It is a MISTAKE (i.e. missing the Mark) to fail to join those assembled in Christ......for Christ is among them and you are rejecting His Body and His Summons. You go not for your own sake, but for the sake of God in Christ and in His People.

God's Peace.

Rev. Ken Huffman

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Wow, Ken, you really let me have it!

I wish I could tell you that you're wrong about me and my motivations, but I can't be sure that you are wrong. Perhaps you're right. :(

I am, and always do -- maybe I should make that usually do -- seek the Lord's guidance. If I'm sinning, I surely do want to repent.
Last edited by Michelle on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christopher

Post by christopher » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Some of the replies here puzzle me. I'm having trouble understanding where they're coming from.

Homer, what exactly qualifies as an "intentional" church meeting? What, in your opinion, is a valid expression of the body of Christ?

Ken, I haven't seen anyone here advocating an isolated, lone ranger style walk with Jesus. So who was your post aimed at correcting?

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Michelle, Christopher, Ken, et al,

Christopher asked:
Homer, what exactly qualifies as an "intentional" church meeting? What, in your opinion, is a valid expression of the body of Christ?
Perhaps the following regarding the Greek preposition Eis will help:

vi. (6) eis governs only one case (the Accusative). Euclid uses eis when a line is drawn to meet another line, at certain point. Hence, it denotes motion to or unto an object, with the purpose of reaching or touching it (e.g. Matthew 2:11; 3:10. Luke 8:14. Acts 16:10).

Matthew 2:11
11 And when they were come into [eis] the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. KJV

From this comes the idea of the object toward which such motion is directed (e.g. Matthew 18:20,30. 1Corinthians 12:13. Galatians 3:27); and for, or with respect to which such action or movement is made.

Matthew 18:20
20 For where two or three are gathered together in [eis] my name, there am I in the midst of them. KJV

I think you can get the idea from the story in Matthew 2 that the men with purpose (intentionality) gathered at the home of the baby Jesus to worship him. Likewise the Sunday morning sevice, midweek bible study/prayer meeting would have intentionality. And if some Christions intended to get together to play golf and happened to discuss some "church stuff" along with talk about their remodeling projects and how their kids were doing in sports I doubt if Jesus promise to be there would apply. I would certainly think a person holding bible study at a prison could count on His presence.

Ken wrote:
It is a MISTAKE (i.e. missing the Mark) to fail to join those assembled in Christ......for Christ is among them and you are rejecting His Body and His Summons. You go not for your own sake, but for the sake of God in Christ and in His People.
Aren't "mistakes" sin? I agree with what you wrote, particularly the last sentence. I am not sure, however, if Hebrews 10 makes it a sin to miss the assembly as much as it instructs us to not cease going to church. I think the question we must ask ourselves when we do not go is this: Is what I am doing when I am absent something God would choose for me to do other than be in church?

I grew up in a church that taught that it was sin not to be in church. My parents went every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening, and every night if there was a travelling preacher in town, and took us kids. The only excuse to miss was illness. And to this day, I almost never miss. Am I influenced by a "legalistic" viewpoint? Perhaps so. When we travel, we intentionally (intentionality :D ) plan our trip so we can be in church Sunday morning. I don't know if "intentional" applies, or matters, when we are home; going to church is automatic. What matters, as Ken wrote, is why we are there.

Michelle wrote:
I never intentionally avoid gathering with Christians, it's just that I don't always say, "I intend this, right now, and for the next hour or so, to be the gathering of my fellow christians and I in order to seek Jesus."
As mentioned above, going to church is so automatic, I don't even think about it. I don't see any problem with it being a habit; Jesus had it:

Luke 4:16 (New King James Version)
16. So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

And Michelle wrote:
....often because there is little encouragement given, or even much interaction by me with my fellow believers. Perhaps this is the sin on my part?
Perhaps you are being too hard on yourself. In his book on suffering, "Yet Will I Trust Him", John Mark Hicks has some excellent advice for those who visit the suffering. Hick's first wife died suddenly, and some years later his first born son died. Hicks relates that he can not remember what anyone said to him, but he remembers that they came. Their presence was the most important thing. Just being there can be an encouragement to others. For example, a person scheduled to speak feels bad if noticeably fewer people show up.

I believe Ken's point about the casual attitude prevalent today regarding church attendance is on the mark. I wonder if our attendance would be increased if we really, really, really believed that Jesus was present in some way that in other circumstances He is not.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 am

On this topic, I would like to see some offer critiques of my text file entitled "What is Church?" which can be read at the narrow path website at the "topical articles" link.

christopher

Post by christopher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Homer,

That doesn’t really answer the question I asked, but I gather from what you wrote that what you really mean by “intentional” is something like the weekly meeting or a bible study. Is that correct? If so, my next question would be what standard are you using to make such an assessment? And how does that jibe with the work of the Holy Spirit in a believers’ life? Isn’t He able to lead a person in the matter?

To clarify my original question, let me list just a few examples and maybe you can explain why or why not you think they qualify as an intentional gathering in Jesus’ name:

1. This forum (and others like it)
2. Family devotional time
3. Steve’s open discussion meetings
4. A remote missionary’s correspondence with home
5. Meeting with a brother/sister for coffee to discuss life and/or pray
6. Ad hoc prayer meeting (on the golf course after discussing how one’s kid was injured during a remodeling project thus keeping him from playing sports ;) )

I would argue that these are all valid expressions of “intentional” church expressions. Michelle listed a variety of expressions (including a traditional one) that make up her church experience. I, for one, would not fault her if her circumstances caused her to prefer some over others. I know many godly people who will likely never darken the doorway of a traditional church again, yet find other ways to worship, stay connected and serve the body of Christ. I was there myself for a season, and not due to my own sin, but the sin of the church leadership. During that time, God provided me and my family with many non-traditional avenues to stay connected with the body of Christ because it was our desire to do so. But meeting weekly at a traditional church did more harm than good at that time, so we ceased. And, like Michelle, I’m not convinced I was in ‘sin’ or ‘missing the mark’ during that period. (BTW, I do presently meet with a quasi-traditional church again, and it’s very edifying.)

you wrote:
What matters, as Ken wrote, is why we are there.
I couldn’t agree more with this statement. Why do we gather? Is it not for mutual edification out of love for God and the brethren? So, in your opinion, what is it about other expressions of body life that leave them lacking in this department? And it's been my experience that many (if not most) assemble in traditional weekly church meetings for the wrong reasons.
I am not sure, however, if Hebrews 10 makes it a sin to miss the assembly as much as it instructs us to not cease going to church.
My impression of Hebrews 10 (as well as the rest of the book) is that it’s mainly a warning against turning back to Judaism (in other words, denying Christ) because of social pressure and persecution. There are various markers throughout the book that seem to affirm this. For example, in the same chapter, as part of the same exhortation, the writer says:

Heb 10:32-35
32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: 33 partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated; 34 for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. 35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.
NKJV

So to me, the exhortation in 10:25 has nothing to do with how this verse is generally applied, it has to do with not succumbing to the pressure to deny Christ, trading the “assembling of the saints” for the “assembling of the ‘aints” so to speak. Don't lose "confidence" (faith).

BTW, it’s hard for me to imagine this being an “oral sermon” as you suggested, mainly because how the letter ends:

Heb 13:22-25
22 And I appeal to you, brethren, bear with the word of exhortation, for I have written to you in few words. 23 Know that our brother Timothy has been set free, with whom I shall see you if he comes shortly. 24 Greet all those who rule over you, and all the saints. Those from Italy greet you. 25 Grace be with you all. Amen.
NKJV

…but even if it is, it doesn’t change my opinion of the verses at hand.

Anyway, I’d be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the matter.

Lord bless.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi Homer,

You wrote to me:
As mentioned above, going to church is so automatic, I don't even think about it. I don't see any problem with it being a habit; Jesus had it:

Luke 4:16 (New King James Version)
16. So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
I have no problem with going to a meeting being a habit, either, in fact I've been regularly attending services for the past several months after taking a few years off.

You also wrote:
Perhaps you are being too hard on yourself. In his book on suffering, "Yet Will I Trust Him", John Mark Hicks has some excellent advice for those who visit the suffering. Hick's first wife died suddenly, and some years later his first born son died. Hicks relates that he can not remember what anyone said to him, but he remembers that they came. Their presence was the most important thing. Just being there can be an encouragement to others. For example, a person scheduled to speak feels bad if noticeably fewer people show up.
This was a very nice gesture on your part to be encouraging towards me after I expressed the thought that perhaps, because of my particular personality type, I behave sinfully on Sunday mornings when I attend church yet don't talk to many folks. I really believe, however, that the Holy Spirit has bestowed more gifts on me than the gift of showing up.

The last thing you addressed to me was:
I believe Ken's point about the casual attitude prevalent today regarding church attendance is on the mark. I wonder if our attendance would be increased if we really, really, really believed that Jesus was present in some way that in other circumstances He is not.
I suppose that if I believed that Jesus was only present on Sunday mornings/evenings, Wednesdays, or at other scheduled events in a certain way, and I could only enjoy His presence at those times in those locations, I would definitely be there as soon as the doors were unlocked every time. I'm not convinced, however, that it's the case. You base this on the preposition eis. I appreciate that it means much more than it seems, and I love the idea of moving toward Jesus when we're seeking him together. The thing I'm really not so sure about is that it only happens in certain meetings arranged in advance. And I'm certain that the implication that Jesus will not be present, or if he IS present, it's in some inferior sense, when two or more followers seek toward him, but not during a set aside time, is not correct.

This is a part of something you addressed to Chris:
And if some Christions intended to get together to play golf and happened to discuss some "church stuff" along with talk about their remodeling projects and how their kids were doing in sports I doubt if Jesus promise to be there would apply
To which he replied with a question of his own about whether this would be, in your opinion, an expression of intentional gathering, about which Jesus promised His presence:
6. Ad hoc prayer meeting (on the golf course after discussing how one’s kid was injured during a remodeling project thus keeping him from playing sports )
I was thinking the exact same thing. (Well, not exact because I've never been on a golf course.) You characterized these christians as "happen[ing] to discuss some 'church stuff.'" That's not what I've been getting at. I'm talking about encouragement, seeking the Lord, and ministering to each other. Honestly, it happens all the time in my life, not only on Sundays, and outside of campus of the church, as well.

I agree with what Christopher wrote, so I don't want to just repeat it in order to have my say. I, too, am curious about Chris' list of possible "intentional" gatherings.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:16 am

Christopher and Michelle,

Its getting late, I type slowly and think even more slowly so I will try to reply to some of what you posted, and, hopefully more later.

First I would point out that when Jesus said he would be present when two or three gathered in His name, it has to mean something more or different than His normal presence. The ancient Jews, of which Matthew was one, had sayings about this, such as: "Whenever ten persons assemble in a synagogue the Shikhinah is with them, as it is said: "God standeth in the congregation of God' (Ps 82:1)." "If two sit together and the words between them are of Torah, then the Shekinah is in their midst." "When three eat at table and do speak the words of Torah there, it is as though they have eaten from the table of God." These sayings seem to be parallel to Matthew 18:20. And Jesus is the new Glory of God among His people.

Christopher wrote:
My impression of Hebrews 10 (as well as the rest of the book) is that it’s mainly a warning against turning back to Judaism (in other words, denying Christ) because of social pressure and persecution. There are various markers throughout the book that seem to affirm this.
I agree with you about the main purpose of Hebrews, yet, IMO, this can not be what the author is saying in Hebrews 10:25. He is saying if you withold your presence, not only you, but someone else may fall away and be lost. Let's look at the text again:

Hebrews 10:25 (New King James Version)
25. not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

I would call your attention to the underlined words in particular.

First, the word synagoge was used in earliest Christianity to designate the worshipping assembly of the Jewish Christians. See James 2:2. The word assembling in v. 25 is a compound word, epi, meaning "at a place", and sunago, which means "together, collect". Hence, assembling is episunagoge which means assembling together at one place.

I have not had time to study the significance of the article "the" which precedes "assembling", but suspect it means a particular assembling, as it does when used with "the Law' as opposed to merely "law". Perhaps if Ken reads this he can advise us.

The word "manner" (Grk ethos, #1485)) denotes a custom or habit; here is an example of the use of ethos:

John 19:40 (New King James Version)
40. Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury.

Thus IMO the "forsaking" could not mean apostasy as that is neither a custom nor habit, but has to mean an ongoing practice that could cause either the one forsaking the assembly, or others, to fall away as in the awful warning that follows.

Michelle, I still think you are too hard on yourself. We are so prone in the west to think individualistcally. We have, wrongly I think, made the communion into a moment of private introspection, rather than a joint celebration and thanksgiving. And we hear the prayers in church. But do we realize that by our "amen" we make them our own collectively? And what of this statement of Paul:

Colossians 3:16 (New King James Version)
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

When you participate in the singing, you not only worship God, but teach and admonish one another, at least with some songs. (The songs popular nowadays might not teach or admonish anything :x ).

God bless, Homer
Last edited by Homer on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”