CULTS. on today's boadcast.

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
steve

Re: CULTS. on today's boadcast.

Post by steve » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:05 am

No one can say that I ever hung up on a person or said "this is my show" because they were disagreeing with me. I end calls when I believe they cease to be helpful to the audience, and when I believe that the caller has had adequate opportunity to state his question or make his point. If I felt no responsibility to my audience, I could talk for hours to people regardless their viewpoint or their manner.

Context is all important. I have said "this is my show" to a caller who refused to let me talk, insisted on talking over me continuously, and then, when I started to interject a comment, he said, "No, wait a minute..." (because he wasn't finished with his filibuster). I said, "No, I won't wait a minute. This is my show and I won't have a caller dictating to me whether I can speak or not" (not my exact words, but I remember the show and the comment). If this offends someone, I am sorry. However, I would do it again.

Obviously, my comment means "I am the host of this show, and its content is my responsibility." It is just as if I said, "This is my apartment, and I won't have that kind of behavior here." It isn't really MY apartment (it belongs to the landlady). However, I am the one under contract to control what goes on under my roof, as I am the one contracted with the radio stations to take responsibility for the direction the show takes. I would be surprised to learn that this was not obvious.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 am

Steve,
Thanks for the response. I am wondering now if I have done something wrong or if my character is somehow "off" for feeling bothered by that incident. Do you think that I am being too critical?
R

steve

Post by steve » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:32 pm

There is certainly such a thing as being too critical. However, I don't know you well enough to say that you are too critical. Some phrases sound bad in any context, so I can see why my saying "This is my show" would rub people the wrong way.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Maybe a way that might avoid offense or trouble would be to say something like, "we can't really take up much more time as others are waiting to talk, but maybe if you bring it up on the message board we can hash it out and see what others say as well?"
Thanks,
Bob

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 pm

steve wrote:Context is all important. I have said "this is my show" to a caller who refused to let me talk, insisted on talking over me continuously, and then, when I started to interject a comment, he said, "No, wait a minute..." (because he wasn't finished with his filibuster). I said, "No, I won't wait a minute. This is my show and I won't have a caller dictating to me when I can speak or not" (not my exact words, but I remember the show and the comment). If this offends someone, I am sorry. However, I would do it again.
I remember this distinctly. I also remember that the individual was making accusations against you Steve, and portraying your views incorrectly. I find it disturbing that people who have an agenda try to talk over you and be forceful in their comments.
steve wrote:Some phrases sound bad in any context, so I can see why my saying "This is my show" would rub people the wrong way.
It does sound weird to hear, "this is my show" (even though I understood what you meant). Perhaps, "I'm the host of this show", would be better.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 am

I have heard other radio hosts say 'the same words', another just recently. What Steve said about monitoring the show 'would seem obvious’. Some people call in and think someone else’s airtime is ‘their’ airtime and show. When some callers start to go on and literally try to take over the show, it shows no respect to the audience who call into listen to the show that 'the host' has put together, which is listener supported. I really love hearing people debate politics and religion with 'reasonably short' and articulate statements that go back and forth in a productive way. I have always been annoyed by a lot of hosts that do cut off callers too quickly, but i have 'never' heard a host give callers the time that Steve does. And that is one reason i listen. I listen to Rush because he gives callers a gracious and fair chance at making statements, I listen to the Click and Clack brothers just because I want to learn to be as warm and welcoming as they are on their show (Car Talk). On the other hand you have Dr. Laura for example who must cut people off just ‘for there own good’, and Mark Levin, well Mark Levin, maybe Steve could learn a few things from Mark Levin on ‘call etiquette’. Anyways, next caller….

(in case someone is not familiar with Mark Levins show, i'm joking, Mark will usually give a caller 5 seconds max!, and usually cut the caller off with "Shutup ya big dummy!".. )
Last edited by jriccitelli on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm

I hesitate to be one of Steve`s "yes men" once again, but I am struck by how few times he makes anything close to etiquette faux pas on air. In some ways one of the most impressive things about him. I think if I were in his role I`d be digging a hole for myself every 10 minutes.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 pm

A cult is not simply a group who separates from a main group, or takes on beliefs which are different from a main group. That is better described as a "heresy" or a "sect" (the original meaning of "heresy").
The following are some of the distuishing features of cults. Not all cults possess ALL of these features. Nor is this list collectively exhaustive.

1. There is a single leader of the Group whose teachings are accepted, and whose injuctions are followed without question.
2. The leader and the Group itself renders "unconditional love" toward each of the members.
3. The members of the Group are urged not to associate with people from other groups.
4. The members are given a new name in order that they might identify more fully with the Group alone, and leave behind their former life.
5. The members are isolated from their family and friends, and from main stream culture.
6. When prospective members visit the Group, they are bombarded with teachings. Someone is assigned to accompany them continuously, giving them no opportunity to be alone to have time to think over what they have heard.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Last edited by Paidion on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Paidion,

I would hope that theos.org has never thought of LDS "Jill" as a: Troll.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”