Concerning Heretics and Those That Burn Them

21centpilgrim

Re: Concerning Heretics and Those That Burn Them

Post by 21centpilgrim » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Paidon, I am saying that the early Anabaptist held to the traditional view of hell and the punishment/judgement of God. As to those today who would claim the Anabaptist as part of their spiritual heritage, I am sure there are traditionalist and progressives who would differ on the topic of hell.
My point was that the 16th century Anabaptist believed in the traditional view of hell and were also pacifist. All with biblical conviction.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm

The logic that we ought to do what God does has a basis in the teaching of Christ
But God can and does condemn people to hell. I'm thinking we should not do that.
First, it is assumed that "ἐκδικησις" (ekdikāsis) means "vengeance". The word is derived from "δικη" (dikā) which means "justice". So the meaning may be that God will execute justice for all.

Would it be unjust for God to severely punish Hitler?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 am

Homer, you wrote:
Paidion wrote:The logic that we ought to do what God does has a basis in the teaching of Christ
But God can and does condemn people to hell. I'm thinking we should not do that.
Fortunately, none of us has the power to do that, or I'm sure a lot of us would! For I have often heard people express the wish, "May he rot in hell!"
Homer, you wrote:
Paidion wrote:First, it is assumed that "ἐκδικησις" (ekdikāsis) means "vengeance". The word is derived from "δικη" (dikā) which means "justice". So the meaning may be that God will execute justice for all.
Would it be unjust for God to severely punish Hitler?
If that is what it would take to bring him to repentance—no. But God doesn't execute useless, vengeful punishment that has no object except to cause pain.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Church History”