role playing

_Aussie Pentecostal

role playing

Post by _Aussie Pentecostal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:07 am

Christian “Religion” just presents mankind with another stage, on which to engage in yet another avenue of "role-playing." Sometimes it is nothing more than assuming the role of audience or participant in the Sunday morning "production" of a worship "performance." Staged Christianity puts on the show! It is all symbol without substance. When it is over and the curtain closes, everyone takes off their costumes and their masks and their make-up, and goes home until the next production, feeling no need to maintain the role except when they are on the religious stage. John Calvin refers to such religious actors, noting that "in all ages there have been certain worshippers of God who have worshiped him like stage-players, whose holiness did wholly consist in gestures and vain pomps."
The Christian identifies in spiritual solidarity with Jesus Christ, who becomes his/her life, and the basis of their new identity as a "Christ-one," a Christian. "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; old things have passed away, behold all thing have become new." (II Cor. 5:17). The Christian does not have an assumed identity, but the real identity wherein "Christ lives in me" (Gal. 2:20). The Christian is not playing a role, but the essential reality of the life of Jesus Christ indwells within and is to function through his/her behavior. The ontological Being of Jesus Christ, the "I AM," constitutes who we are and what we do. It is an actual living-out of the life of Jesus Christ in the Christian's behavior.
It is not "make-believe." Christianity is real-believe. Faith involves the receptivity of the activity of the life of Jesus Christ in me. It is the receptivity of divine reality; the Being of Christ expressed in our behavior.
Every Blessing
John
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Christianity is not a belief system, but a living dynamic of Christ

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:11 am

I guess this question is a little bit of a deviation from this topic, but do you (or anyone else) think that the possibilities of "role playing" are less in a home church where you have to consistently interact with one another than in a larger congregational setting?
Reason:

_Aussie Pentecostal

Post by _Aussie Pentecostal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:05 pm

rae
We all can have religious Role play" in any situation but it is harder to maintain in a small group unless the Whole group is caught up is these facades.
Every Blessing
John
Reason:
Christianity is not a belief system, but a living dynamic of Christ

_love the logos

Post by _love the logos » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:51 am

it would be nice of your polemics and your attempt to admonish and correct and rebuke and exhort the church had more scripture.

it is crucial when rebuking and testing the church you have plenty of reason to be upset.

I do not agree with everything you say [or most] but i would appreciate i you would take more time to elaborate your convictions more clearly.

thank you so much

In Christ,
Steven.
Reason:
2 john 1:12

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:16 am

Aussie,
I dont see you post on this forum anymore.

Anyways, I am finding it difficult to find fellowship
but I do find alot of "church"

Any comments anyone?
Reason:

_faydawg67117

finding Fellowship

Post by _faydawg67117 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:44 pm

I too find it hard to find genuine fellowship. I want mentors and friends to pray with and hold each other accountable. I hate going to church or even voluntering for some ministry shaking hands and going home. Church needs to be about relationships that help you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Yes, Faydawg I agree with your post. Alot of "church" along with skits, garage sales, bake sales.....Oh My!!! seeker friendly to the max.
Reason:

Return to “Essays and Writings”