Romans 11:25-32 Paper

mattrose

Re: Romans 11:25-32 Paper

Post by mattrose » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:48 pm

The first post is the completed paper I turned in (maybe a few edited changes were made, I don't remember). It was just a 20 page paper assignment.

Aniekerk

Post by Aniekerk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:11 am

I would like some technical help please. I checked perhaps some 40 translations of Romans 11:25, and they all indicate that the mystery is that a partial hardening has come on Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles have come in. I would like to argue that the mystery is something else, namely that the mystery relates to what has been said in the previous verse (verse 24). The versions that I saw link the mystery to “partial hardening until” by means of the word “that” or by means of a semi-colon. The only versions that I could find that do not do this are the GOD’S WORD Translation , Common English Bible, New International Reader's Version and the New Living Translation.
What I would like to ask is whether the underlying Greek text explicitly links the mystery to “partial hardening until”. I have spent hours without sucess on internet trying to find somebody that deal with this issue.
regards

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Thank you for sharing that excellent paper, Matt!

A thought about "hardening": I have always found "hardening" a little difficult to comprehend. What is meant by "hardening"?

It may be more meaningful to translate "πωρωσις" as "callousness". This is how the CLV translates it.
I also found that the Online Bible lexicon, the NAS lexicon, and Strong's lexicon all give "covered with a callous" as a meaning for the word.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mikew

Post by mikew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Interestingly there were some points from Wright I agreed with. It makes more sense that 11:25 was addressing two items in the mystery --
"The first modifying phrase speaks of the partial nature of the hardening. The second speaks to how long the hardening will last."
But, I did not agree with this point leading to the conclusion that "all Israel shall be saved." Such a conclusion actually appears to be built on statements before the discussion of gentile boasting, primarily of the indication in Rom 9:27-29 and in Rom 11:1-6 that the remnant had been saved.

Thanks for posting the paper.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

darinhouston

Romans 11:25-32 Paper

Post by darinhouston » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Did you ever "refine it?" If so, is it online? It's pretty long -- I'm sure it's great and would love to read it on my iPad -- a link to a pdf or Word would make that easier. But, no worries if not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Essays and Writings”