The Rich Young Ruler

Michelle

The Rich Young Ruler

Post by Michelle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:34 am

Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one [is] good but One, [that is], God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." He said to Him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, "'You shall not murder,' 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not bear false witness,' 'Honor your father and [your] mother,' and, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." When His disciples heard [it], they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?" But Jesus looked at [them] and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Matthew 19:16-26 NKJV
I'm curious about what people think; did the rich young ruler sell everything, or did he forfeit eternal life? Why did he go away sorrowful? Was it because he was going to miss the possessions or because he knew he couldn't do what Jesus asked? What do you think?
Then Peter answered and said to Him, "See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?" So Jesus said to them, "Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

Matthew 19:27-29 NKJV
These are the very next verses, and these verses are what made me think about whether or not the rich young ruler might have sold everything, but was sorrowful when faced with the task. It was these verses and a young man I've been corresponding with. His parents are from China and they have disowned him for becoming a Christian. He's given up a lot to follow Christ, which sounds so spiritual. I would have expected that Jason would be living on sort of a higher plane than the rest of us, but he's not. It's hard for him; he doubts, he stumbles, he is lonely, and it hurts — a lot. He's sorrowful.

I'm not sure I've had to give up much at all to follow Christ. I've never been rich and my family are believers, but once in a while something will become apparent to me as a thing I need to change or give up because it's a hinderance. And then I'll pray and wail and mope around because it hurts to give up things I like — or even love.

Where did Jesus tell us, or even imply, that following him would be easy? I like to think that the rich young ruler sold everything. That he became the young ruler — or, more likely without the wealth, just the young man, but that it was not without pain, doubts, and questions. That would give me hope that my experiences aren't indicative of a lack of faith, that a struggle doesn't mean disloyalty, and most of all that in the end, when we are enjoying the eternal life that we've inherited, that the joy will be outstanding. This what I'd like to read into the story.

By the way, Jason said earlier this week that I've become like a mom to him. Maybe he's already starting to receive the hundredfold. I'd like to think so.

mikew

Re: The Rich Young Ruler

Post by mikew » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 am

It is possible that the young ruler had came to Christ later. But I think more likely that if he had not responded to Jesus, face to face, that he would not change his mind later. The incident seemed more focused to show one of the problems of that day (too much focus on riches rather than on the covenant they had with God). By contrast, the second half of that passage was to show that even if he had given up his wealth there was a benefit for him.

I would say the intensity of the the current earthly blessings may not be as much as seen in Acts 2, for example, but the principle is the still the same, namely the receipt of a hundredfold more blessing. (There's a verse somewhere else that talks about receiving many more brothers and sisters in the Lord.)

The realization here, that you seem to being following a bit instinctively here (in the case with Jason), is that we are to help each other where we can. We become each others support team. In certain epistles, the gifts of mercy and helps are mentioned. These gifts would be expressed through people that have the tender hearts -- that realize the troubles that other people are going through.

One thing I like to say, as sort of an encouragement and consolation, and as a hint to help each other is that we are all in this mess together. We have to figure out how we can make things better for each other.

Many people experience a burst of joy upon coming to Christ, feeling a sense of relief from sin and guilt, but not everyone has enjoyed this experience. And I know that church groups have taught that all your problems go away. But such doctrine would seem to contradict scriptures that show that people will have problems and needs -- again the need for some people to have the gift of mercy,for example.

So for now we cherish the blessings that come our way and we endure the difficult time. It is the hope of Christ within us that keeps us strong.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 pm

mikew wrote:It is possible that the young ruler had came to Christ later. But I think more likely that if he had not responded to Jesus, face to face, that he would not change his mind later. The incident seemed more focused to show one of the problems of that day (too much focus on riches rather than on the covenant they had with God). By contrast, the second half of that passage was to show that even if he had given up his wealth there was a benefit for him.

I would say the intensity of the the current earthly blessings may not be as much as seen in Acts 2, for example, but the principle is the still the same, namely the receipt of a hundredfold more blessing. (There's a verse somewhere else that talks about receiving many more brothers and sisters in the Lord.)

The realization here, that you seem to being following a bit instinctively here (in the case with Jason), is that we are to help each other where we can. We become each others support team. In certain epistles, the gifts of mercy and helps are mentioned. These gifts would be expressed through people that have the tender hearts -- that realize the troubles that other people are going through.

One thing I like to say, as sort of an encouragement and consolation, and as a hint to help each other is that we are all in this mess together. We have to figure out how we can make things better for each other.

Many people experience a burst of joy upon coming to Christ, feeling a sense of relief from sin and guilt, but not everyone has enjoyed this experience. And I know that church groups have taught that all your problems go away. But such doctrine would seem to contradict scriptures that show that people will have problems and needs -- again the need for some people to have the gift of mercy,for example.

So for now we cherish the blessings that come our way and we endure the difficult time. It is the hope of Christ within us that keeps us strong.
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your response. I put this way down here because I didn't think anyone would respond to it, but I wanted to write it out anyway. (You might remember Jason, he goes by sc_q_jayce online.)

You're right that we are all in this mess together, and what a mess it is sometimes. Thanks for the reminder that we're here to serve each other and provide encouragement. Thanks, also, for the reminder of the hope of Christ within us that keeps us strong. It truly is the best, only thing.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:36 pm

I have heard it surmised that the rich young ruler may have been Joseph of Arimathea. I cant remember if I heard this listening to Steve G or somebody else. At any rate, it is just speculation.

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm

The rich young ruler could also be Lazarus as Jesus loved Lazarus and loved the rich young ruler, they may be the same person. If so the rich young ruler did become a believer.

Return to “Essays and Writings”