Resurrection Testimony

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:04 pm

I am often stumbled by Paul's insistance on the resurrection being the great hope - not Heaven. He talks about it over and over

Well Paul did say
"to die is gain"
"willing to be absent from the body and present with the Lord"
"having a desire to depart and be with Christ"

And Jesus said
"Today you will be with me in paradise"

I don't see a 2,000 year interval in these statements. :roll:
Last edited by _Priestly1 on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:27 am

Hi Paidion

also, what about:
1Sa 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up?...

If Samuel was "unaware, and truly dead when he died, and did not any longer exist.", would he really be able to feel disturbed?

Samuel's phrase sounds more like one he would use if his "sleep" was interrupted. To me, anyway.
:?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:59 pm

TK wrote:another question. what do you make of Moses and Elijah on the mount of transfiguration?

Jesus called it "a vision" [Matthew 17:9]
Steve7150 wrote:Well Paul did say
"to die is gain"
"willing to be absent from the body and present with the Lord"
"having a desire to depart and be with Christ"

And Jesus said
"Today you will be with me in paradise"

I don't see a 2,000 year interval in these statements.
It is obvious that you haven't really read my "Resurrection Testimony" or you wouldn't be raising objections with which I have already dealt, in that
testimony.
Suzana wrote:also, what about:
1Sa 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up?...
If Samuel was "unaware, and truly dead when he died, and did not any longer exist.", would he really be able to feel disturbed?
Saul went to a medium to "talk to the dead". This was expressly forbidden by Yahweh. Indeed, even Saul himself had forbidden it and had mediums sought out and prevented from operating (see context of story).

Notice that only the medium could see "Samuel". In particular, notice that when asked by Saul what she saw, she responded "I see a god coming up out of the earth." And that is exactly what it was. The gods of the nations are demons, and not true Gods.

Deuteronomy 32:17 They sacrificed to demons which were no gods, to gods they had never known, to new gods that had come in of late, whom your fathers had never dreaded.

Saul heard a voice speak words through the medium giving instructions about matters which only Samuel could know. Demons are excellent impersonators.

My mother told me similar case. When her father (my grandfather) and his friend were in their twenties, they thought they would visit a medium "just for fun". The friend asked to hear from his dead mother. The medium's voice uttered words and phrases in a tone which, he believed, only his mother could utter. He was convinced.

My grandfather also asked to hear from his mother. He also, heard the voice of his mother. She was saying things that only his mother could know. Only trouble was ---- his mother had not yet died!

The demon didn't know my grandfather's mother was still living ---yet he knew her well enough to impersonate her. Demons know a lot, but are not omnicient.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 pm

So we are always of good courage; we know that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. We are of good courage, and we would rather be absent from the body and present with the Lord.

So it seemed to me, in view of the context, that Paul is saying that we would rather be absent from this present, mortal body, and present with the Lord in the immortal body that we shall have after the resurrection, when this mortal puts on immortality.

I agree that Paul primarily is saying he would rather be with the Lord but he still seems to reference an either/or scenerio with nothing in between.
Also Jesus in saying "Truly i say to you" , he used the same phrase dozens of other times and it always ended with "to you." It's not impossible that he could have said "Truly i say to you TODAY" but it would be the only time out of i believe about 70 other examples therefore the odds are against it.
Plus to say "Truly i say to you today" sounds odd to me in that , did Jesus need to clarify he was telling this to the thief today as oppossed to a different day?
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:36 pm

Steve7150 wrote:I agree that Paul primarily is saying he would rather be with the Lord but he still seems to reference an either/or scenerio with nothing in between.

Exactly my point. There is nothing in between. We'll be dead. We won't exist. The next thing we'll know after dying is being with the Lord when we are raised to life again.

I had surgery just once in my life. I looked up at the clock. It said 1P.M.
Then I looked up again, and to my amazement it said 3:30. For me there was "nothing in between". But for the doctors and nurses attending me, 2½ hours had passed.
Plus to say "Truly i say to you today" sounds odd to me in that , did Jesus need to clarify he was telling this to the thief today as oppossed to a different day?
Yes. It sounds odd to me too. That's because English idioms are different from Greek idioms. But, as I pointed out in the article, the English idiom, "I'm telling you right now" doesn't seem odd at all. Yet, someone from a different language background might ask, "Why does he say that he's telling him right now? Does he need to clarify that he's telling him now rather than at some other time?"

The Greek idiom "becomes to" seems odd to us:

Romans 7:3 So then, if while her husband is living she becomes to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she becomes to another man.

We can figure out what is meant from the context.

But I'll bet if you used the expression in your ordinary speech in such a way that you didn't indicate the meaning from context, not one person in a hundred would understand what the meaning of the expression.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Sean

Re: Resurrection Testimony

Post by _Sean » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:09 am

Paidion wrote: I also noticed the word “sleep” is frequently used in the New Testament for death. Our Lord Himself so used it. I wondered why this word would be used for death, if the dead are happily walking around in heaven fellowshipping with those who have gone before, or witnessing the events on earth, which is how some interpret the “cloud of witnesses” mentioned in Hebrews 12:1. They wouldn’t be sleeping would they?

So I wondered why Jesus would have used sleep as a figure of speech concerning death, if the dead are conscious.
Sleep could simply refer to the fact that the dead will one day rise again. It would seem that since "sleeping" resembles death because the person is not moving, but rather the person sleeping eventually does awaken is meant to show that death is only temporary.

As for the cloud of witnesses, no they would not be sleeping. The term Jesus used for sleep seems to refer to the state of the body, and does not necessarily carry on to any non-physical aspect of a person that lives on after the death of the body. So I don't see the use of the term sleep to contradict Heb 12:1 or the souls under the alter in Revelation crying out for God to avenge their deaths since, as you mentioned, sleep is not an unconcious state, but a temporary physical state of the body. The mind is still active during sleep. So I see the term sleep used by Jesus to fit perfectly into the concept of death of the physical body and continuation of conscience existance.
Paidion wrote: The rich man asked him to dip his finger in water, and cool his tongue. The rich man had a tongue. They could see each other. So really, I asked myself, why do we need a bodily resurrection at all?
Seems like a strange conclusion to draw. Since those spoken of as dead have "body parts" then why bodily resurrection? Because they don't have physical body parts. :)

Cherubium have "body parts" too but aren't physical. Angels have body parts, but aren't physical. This is typical figures of speech used to describe what would otherwise be completely indescribable, IMO. God measures the heavens with the span of his hand, etc. It's not meant to convey any notion that God is physical.

Paidion wrote: Jesus declared:

John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

Four times in John 6, Jesus declares that He will raise His disciples on the last day.
Why didn’t Jesus say, “... and I will take him to heaven when he dies.”? What’s the importance of his being raised up? Not much importance, I thought, if it’s just a matter of attaching a body to the soul. But a great importance, if that is the only way a person is going to live again. Such were my thoughts.
Jesus also said:

John 11:26
and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.

Also, why did Paul make this statement:

2 Corinthians 12:2
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.

Why would Paul mention this as an option, if he knew there was no such thing as existance outside the body?

Also, where is Enoch?

Hebrews 11:5
By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.

He was alive and God "took" him. Took him where? He didn't die, but is with the Lord. But the resurrection has not yet occured yet. So what are we to make of it?
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 am

However, JC, it was not my intent to support the soul-sleep position. I don't actually believe that there is an immaterial part of us which is called "the soul" or "spirit" which exists after death, but is asleep. I believe the "soul" is simply the "self", our whole being, and that the "spirit" is the life which God breathed into the body he created (Adam), so that the vivified body became a "soul".

Paidion, Your post as usual is logical and articulated well and you may be correct. I concede that in the OT it is clearly said and repeated that we sleep in the grave and your point about scripture describing the dead as sleeping in the NT is odd if their spirits are in heaven. But there are a half a dozen or so statements in the NT that sound to me like the believers "inner man" is with the Lord at death. This "inner man" is not immortal until it's joined with the resurrected body but it sounds like it's with the Lord at death therefore maybe the rules changed at Jesus's resurrection.
So the problem is that some statements in the NT just seem so clear that they seem to need no explanation unless you wish to explain that they mean something other then what they appear to say. The word "sleep" in scripture refers to the body and if you believe as you do that we are a single unit then you must view these verses in the way you do but if you allow that the "soul/spirit" can be a separate part of our being then you can see the possibility of the "spirit" leaving the body and being with the Lord at death.

"They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said , Lord Jesus receive my spirit." Acts 7.59

"We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so believe that God WILL BRING with Jesus those who have fallen asleep IN HIM" 1 Thes 4.14

"For to me , to live is Christ and TO DIE IS GAIN" Phil 1.21
Note i can't see how "soul sleep" would be the "gain" Paul refers to.

"Therefore being always of good courage and knowing that WHILE we are HOME IN THE BODY we are absent from the Lord" 2 Cor 5.7

And Jesus's statent "Truly i say to you" occurs 74 times in the gospels and is always an introductory expression by Jesus and is similar to the OT phrase "Thus saith the Lord." So to conclude that this ONE TIME he really said "Truly i say to you today" is unlikely at least IMO.

As far as i can see Paul and Stephen believed their spirits would be with the Lord at death, thus to me the question is whether Paul and Stephen were right when the entire OT seems to teach "soul sleep."
Last edited by _Priestly1 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 am

Hey, Sean. Paul mentioned in 1 Cor 15 that the resurrection is our great hope and if there's no resurrection of the dead then we, being followers of Jesus, are to be pitied above all men. This would've been a good time to tell them about Heaven. What's your take on that chapter?
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Sean wrote:Sleep could simply refer to the fact that the dead will one day rise again. It would seem that since "sleeping" resembles death because the person is not moving, but rather the person sleeping eventually does awaken is meant to show that death is only temporary.

These statements do not differ much from my beliefs --- unless you think the dead person is in a kind of state of suspended animation until the resurrection. I believe the dead are dead, and will stay dead, until God raises them again.
As for the cloud of witnesses, no they would not be sleeping.

Why not?
The term Jesus used for sleep seems to refer to the state of the body, and does not necessarily carry on to any non-physical aspect of a person that lives on after the death of the body.
Why do you think that? The body isn't asleep. It's dead. And it rots. But Jesus used the term word with reference to dead people sometimes because He was going to bring them back to life again.
So I don't see the use of the term sleep to contradict Heb 12:1 or the souls under the alter in Revelation crying out for God to avenge their deaths since, as you mentioned, sleep is not an unconcious state, but a temporary physical state of the body. The mind is still active during sleep.

That is true of natural sleep. But it wasn't true of me during surgery. I looked at the clock; it was 1 P.M. I immediately (from my point of view) looked at it again, and it was 2:30 P.M. Two and a half hours of unconsciousness and unawareness.

As for "the souls under the alter in Revelation crying out for God to avenge their deaths", this is what John saw in his vision, not a description of a literal reality. It reminds me a bit of what Yahweh said to Cain about Abel, "The voice of your brother’s blood is crying to me from the ground."
Somehow that doesn't seem much like a literal statement about Abel's blood.
Seems like a strange conclusion to draw. Since those spoken of as dead have "body parts" then why bodily resurrection? Because they don't have physical body parts.

Cherubium have "body parts" too but aren't physical. Angels have body parts, but aren't physical. This is typical figures of speech used to describe what would otherwise be completely indescribable, IMO.
What's the difference if they don't have "physical body parts"? How do physical body parts add anything to them? The Father is spirit, and has no physical body parts, and He is complete.

Besides, the resurrection body is not physical anyway.
Paul said:

So it is with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body. Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. I Corinthians 15:42-45

Even Jesus' body was not a physical body. He went through a locked door. He suddenly appeared at various places. At his ascension, He went up into the sky ( a physical body could not tolerate the change in pressure.

Yes, he ate food with His disciples after His resurrection, and showed Thomas the wounds of His resurrection. I suspect that it was the "same" body, but a changed body ---- changed from a mortal body to an immortal. In Paul's description of the resurrectin, he stated that this change will happen, not only to those who are raised from the dead, but to those who will be alive at the time of Christ's return:

Lo! I tell you a secret. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. I Corinthians 15:51,52
Jesus also said:
John 11:26
and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.

Did He say that? If He did, He contradicted the first part of the statement as recorded in verse 25:

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live...

Here He clearly speaks of people who believe in Him and do die!
But if that happens.... "yet shall they live!" Such people will be raised to life again!

So what does Jesus actually say in the last part of the statement. Literally it is:

Every one who lives and believes in me shall not die into the age.
To continue in a state of death into the next age is to remain dead. But at the beginning of the next age, Jesus will return.

All who live and believe in Him will not stay dead, but will be raised at the beginning of the next age when Jesus returns.
Also, why did Paul make this statement:

2 Corinthians 12:2
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.

Why would Paul mention this as an option, if he knew there was no such thing as existance outside the body?
Paul was having a spiritual experience. Today, many claim to have an "out of the body experience". I think they are in a special state of mind. Paul couldn't tell whether he was in the body or out of the body. Why not?--- if he were really out of the body. I think Paul was describing how he felt when he had this vision or spiritual experience.
Also, where is Enoch?

Hebrews 11:5
By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.

He was alive and God "took" him. Took him where? He didn't die, but is with the Lord. But the resurrection has not yet occured yet. So what are we to make of it?
Some of the early Christian writers said that Enoch truly didn't die. That is, God took him somewhere (we are not told where), and he is still alive in his physical body. According to these early Christians, the complete Jonah is being miraculously being preserved in his physical body by God.
I am inclined to think that this is the case.
Reason:
Paidion

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:09 pm

Hey, Sean. Paul mentioned in 1 Cor 15 that the resurrection is our great hope and if there's no resurrection of the dead then we, being followers of Jesus, are to be pitied above all men. This would've been a good time to tell them about Heaven. What's your take on that chapter?

Sorry i'm not Sean but the reason the resurrection is our great hope may not be because we get bodies then but that we get immortality. That may be the climatic event in our existence which happens at the resurrection. If Stephen is correct "Lord Jesus receive my spirit" and our immaterial part goes to heaven at death perhaps our spirit is physically like an angel which may be underated considering one angel killed 180,000 soldiers in the OT.
Reason:

Return to “Essays and Writings”