"God at war: The Bible & Spiritual Conflict" Greg Boyd

morbo3000

"God at war: The Bible & Spiritual Conflict" Greg Boyd

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Has anyone read this? Opinions?

I am currently writing something about kingdom conflicts and the name of Jesus. Someone recommended this.

http://www.amazon.com/God-War-Bible-Spi ... 0830818855
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

jeremiah

Re: "God at war: The Bible & Spiritual Conflict" Greg Boyd

Post by jeremiah » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Sorry, no I haven't read it. I do greatly admire Greg Boyd, and am looking forward to the release of his new book: The Crucifixion of the Warrior God.

There was an Unbelievable? Radio podcast in the last few months in which a young man who has the same view as Boyd on this issue dialogued with another who held a more reformed view. It would probably be a good teaser/summary of the warfare model he lays in the book you're looking at.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:06 pm

For a long time I have disbelieved the view that God "allows" evil in order to fulfill a deeper purpose. I have maintained that He doesn't "allow" evil at all (in the sense of giving His permission). However, He usually does nothing to prevent the evil acts of man, because He has chosen not to interfere with the free will of man. If He should forcibly prevent murders, tortures, rapes, and other atrocities, He would have to impose His will upon mankind, thereby negating man's ability to choose. He wants people to choose Him of their own free will—not force them to choose Him. If He simply forces them, He turns them into "robots" or "puppets" rather than people.

Someone has objected,"What about the free will of the victims of these atrocities? They have had their free will taken away by the perpetrators."
That is true. But God didn't take it away; the perpetrators did.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Someone has objected,"What about the free will of the victims of these atrocities? They have had their free will taken away by the perpetrators."
That is true. But God didn't take it away; the perpetrators did.
God empowers victims and their loved ones to be overcomers, to let go of their anger at what has happened to them, to find the way of love towards their enemies, and therefore, be set free from the effects. I have found that the things I have had to overcome in my life have forced me to grow in understanding of the Lord and His ways, and man, so nothing was lost by what others have done to me.

Another result is that I have been caused to see what I have done to other people but did not realize at the time!
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:32 pm

I have read it and liked it. I think Boyd does a good job covering an angle that doesn't get talked about much in the 'problem of pain' discussion. I'm not at my office tonight, so I don't have access to my copy... but on Tuesday I could take a look through it and jot don't some of my notes.

Paidion... your view sounds a lot like that of Nazarene scholar Thomas Jay Oord. You may want to check out his latest book "The Uncontrolling Love of God"

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Paidion,

You wrote:
For a long time I have disbelieved the view that God "allows" evil in order to fulfill a deeper purpose. I have maintained that He doesn't "allow" evil at all (in the sense of giving His permission).
Do you believe God has the ability to prevent an evil act such as murder or rape? If He has the ability and does not prevent it, isn't He allowing it? You need to clarify your position because "permission" has a rather wide semantic range, from a formal authorization on one hand to allowing something to happen on the other.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Any input on my question regarding the size of the crowd at Jesus' trial greatly appreciated. It's not as sexy a debate, but I'm sure y'all have commentaries I may not. It's in a separate thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

DeGraff

Post by DeGraff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I've read 'God at War" and found it to have so much more academic credibility than most work on the topic. Many books on this subject are by charismatic teachers, and they are simply repeating what they have been taught over the years. Boyd has a Ph.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary, and got his M.Div. from Yale Divinity School. His work is well-researched and peer reviewed.

A theologian I actually like even more on this topic is Michael H. Heiser. Here is a link to he new book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Unseen-Realm- ... 1577995562

Heiser's credentials are equally impressive, and I find him easier to read. Their teachings overlap, and as far as I can tell hardly ever disagree. Neither seems remotely influenced by the other as well.

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”