George MacDonald

marty

George MacDonald

Post by marty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for any scholarly works that examine the theology of George MacDonald?

Jepne

Re: George MacDonald

Post by Jepne » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

His Unspoken Sermons are free online, and we like, especially, the one called "Justice". I loved reading "The Curate's Awakening", "The Wise Woman", The Tutor's First Love". Wonderful character studies, his novels are.

Oh, you mean other people writing about GMD? No, I don't. Many folks on the Evangelical Universalist forum are very familiar with GMD's work, and there is an email list - like a forum but it works through email - that comes out of the 'official' GMD site. Many of them are knowledgeable about GMD's work.

Let us know what you find. We would be interested!
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

marty

Post by marty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks Japne. Yes I have most of his works downloaded, and "Justice" certainly is paradigm altering and provocative. But it would be nice to have more scripture references in that article to back his opinions. Paidion would probably have some idea of scholarly works on him if anyone here would I would think?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 am

I don't know how scholarly these are, but here's a couple of sites which offer books about GMD's theology:

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Bapt ... edir_esc=y

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/george- ... 1587367984
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

marty

Post by marty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks Paidion. I'll check these out. I'm surprised by the lack of scholarly works concerning MacDonalds theology. You can't help but hope he is right. If so the way the church understands God would have to change radically.

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”