Benny Hinn

_TK

Benny Hinn

Post by _TK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:32 pm

A couple of preachers i like a lot have mentioned Benny Hinn in a mostly non-negative light. one mentioned him in a sermon and one links to Benny Hinn's website from his own website. This bothers me because what I see and know of Benny Hinn makes it extremely difficult to think he is anything other than a charlatan, yet some ministers, who I respect, dont seem to have a problem with him. i sent both of these ministers emails about this; their responses are shown below (i am leaving out their names, but they are fairly well known):
I don't know Benny personally, nor do I follow his ministry. Some of my close friends, however, know him very well, and they assure me that he is quite sincere and devoted to Jesus and certainly not a charlatan. His style may be offensive to some and at times his teaching has raised eyebrows, but that is a far cry from being a charlatan.

In any case, you should not read too much into a passing comment made by me in a message, either positive or negative, and with regard to Benny Hinn and other leaders, wherever possible, believe the best about them unless you have firsthand information to the contrary.
and
I have his site in there for two reasons. One is because he is God's
friend. I know people who know him and he's a remarkable man. Two,
because there is a certain pleasure in annoying people who get their
opinions of other believers from 20/20.
what do you guys think? should we give guys like Benny the benefit of the doubt?

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:49 am

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, as far as their own motivation goes. That is for God to judge.

However I think scripture allows us freedom to judge the fruits of someone's life and ministry. Perhaps try to evaluate the impact a ministry is having in general. Is it, and the person's lifestyle, bringing honour to God, or bringing disrepute to the name of Christ? Are their teachings biblical?

I haven't seen a lot of Benny Hinn; I remember thinking when watching part of an interview with him that he seemed fairly likeable personally; but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

When he first came on the scene, years ago, we were shown a video of a Hinn meeting - with his theatrical performance on stage, felling rows of people with a wave of his hand, etc. At the time I and my late husband (a minister with the AOG) had the same reaction: "there's no way that is of the Holy Spirit".
I haven't heard anything about Benny Hinn since then to make me revise my opinion. I could be totally mistaken, of course. In any case, in the absence of first-hand knowledge of him, I would not go so far as to say he was a charlatan. He may be just deceived.
Reason:
Sue

_schoel

Re: Benny Hinn

Post by _schoel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 am

I don't know Benny personally, nor do I follow his ministry. Some of my close friends, however, know him very well, and they assure me that he is quite sincere and devoted to Jesus and certainly not a charlatan. His style may be offensive to some and at times his teaching has raised eyebrows, but that is a far cry from being a charlatan.

In any case, you should not read too much into a passing comment made by me in a message, either positive or negative, and with regard to Benny Hinn and other leaders, wherever possible, believe the best about them unless you have firsthand information to the contrary.
So unless we've met Mr. Hinn, and thouroughly investigated his life and ministry, we cannot raise questions and concerns about him. However, this person could speak favorably because they heard from a friend that he's alright. Could this be a double standard?
I have his site in there for two reasons. One is because he is God's
friend. I know people who know him and he's a remarkable man. Two,
because there is a certain pleasure in annoying people who get their
opinions of other believers from 20/20.
If only 20/20 were alone in bringing factual accusations. But the 20/20 report was a summary of information already gleaned from organizations like the Trinity Foundation. Also, CRM has spent years investigating Benny's ministry and teachings and what they have found wouldn't make me excited to endorse him.

And Mr. Hinn has never responded to many of these valid accusations.
what do you guys think? should we give guys like Benny the benefit of the doubt?
Bottom line with me is that no matter how many Christian words someone uses, they must (and I must too) show Christ in the way I live. From what I know of Benny Hinn (ie. the mansions, cars, teachings, actual evidence of healings, etc) its not Jesus that I see.

On another note, I grew in the Charismatic movement of the 70's and 80's (I'm 33) with a charismatic pastor for a father. My father is a Godly man who loves Jesus. However, it was only 5 years or so ago where my father and I had a discussion as to whether Benny Hinn's ministry is Godly or false. My father was still convinced that he must be Godly because Mr. Hinn had healing ministry. All this to say that I've noticed that many charismatics (not all) check their thinking caps at the door and assume individuals have Godly ministries because there are purported signs and wonders and the person sounds Christian.

I'm not sure if these individuals who gave endorsement fit the same mold as my father, but to me, I would be lovingly cautious with someone who endorses another like Hinn.

Honestly, it was this attitude that made me leary of charismatic stuff in the past.

Dave
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:19 pm

I used to be an ardent listener of Hank Hannegraff and he could'nt ridicule Benny Hinn enough but then again he ridiculed every WOF minister. Hank played 10-15 year old tapes to persuade his audience and wrote about Hinn among others in "Christianity in Crisis."
But the interesting thing about Hinn is that after all these years he is still standing, he is still traveling all over the world with his crusades bringing millions to Christ.
And Hank has moved to North Carolina and still plays 15 years old tapes on his radio show to attack Hinn. I wonder how many folks Hank has lead to the Lord doing what he does?
Reason:

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:10 pm

There again, I think it is safe to say that Hank led several of us here by having Steve on his program as a guest. For me, that has opened a door to a more sound exegesis of scripture. With the help of other guests, such as Gordon Fee, I find that there are tools available to learn how to learn. I also compel myself to listen to some of the other speakers, such as Hinn, sometimes with Pepto Bismol in hand, to learn how they exegete scripture and then to check the scripture for myself. Sometimes they are correct. Sometimes they are not. But, in general, I do not learn how to learn from him. And, Hank has a valid point regarding the healings--how many actually are healed for any length of time and why don't I see truly lame people healed. I'm in the profession of spotting the truly disabled and I can't remember the last person on one of the shows whom I thought was truly handicapped.

I should have stopped after the sentence about Gordon Fee. Time to take another 2 months off the forum and sit in the woodshed.

livingink
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 am

STEVE7150 wrote:I used to be an ardent listener of Hank Hannegraff and he could'nt ridicule Benny Hinn enough but then again he ridiculed every WOF minister. Hank played 10-15 year old tapes to persuade his audience and wrote about Hinn among others in "Christianity in Crisis."
But the interesting thing about Hinn is that after all these years he is still standing, he is still traveling all over the world with his crusades bringing millions to Christ.
And Hank has moved to North Carolina and still plays 15 years old tapes on his radio show to attack Hinn. I wonder how many folks Hank has lead to the Lord doing what he does?
Not every part of the body serves the same function. It may not be Hank's gift to evangelize. I have no problem with the work Hank has done, even when I don't agree with him 100%. As far as Hinn having brought "millions" to Christ, I'd like to know if you have proof of this? Just because a lot of people show up to his events doesn't mean they are actually getting saved, even though I'm sure some do. But what kind of gospel are be being saved to?

Peter said:

2Pe 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
2Pe 2:3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

As far as I know Benny Hinn has not repented publically for his many false prophecies and false teachings. He has healing crusades. I wonder what kind of people show up for that? People who want something? Isn't that what Peter warns us about? Is he not exploiting their covetousness? Isn't this what Jesus criticized those who followed Him because He fed them? Peter also says many people will follow these kind of people because they promise selfish things that people desire so he lures them in. I've personally watched Benny Hinn on TV say that no one can come to the cross and not get healed. Is this true or false? Is that what Jesus promised?

Just my 2 cents.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 pm

He has healing crusades. I wonder what kind of people show up for that? People who want something? Isn't that what Peter

You're faulting people for showing up for a healing crusade? Is it wrong to want something whether it be healing or salvation for that matter?
As far as Hinn's gospel goes , i'm not an expert on him but he does deliver the basic gospel message plus he claims that Jesus heals and he attempts to demonstrate this. Now it's easy to critisize him but i think Hinn has now been out there for three decades doing this and if something is a sham , how long can you keep getting away with it in public.
Hank brushes it off as the power of pursuasive subliminal suggestion.
Reason:

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Sean,

I work in a medical field. I assisted a man who had had a stroke to begin walking again but progress slowed and, while he could walk, it was not of the quality that he had previously enjoyed. He began to faithfully watch Benny Hinn and planned a trip to be healed in Baltimore. He stopped working with me and essentially showed me the door. I do not know if he ever made it to a crusade but I read his obituary a few years later.

I also worked with a young woman in her early 20's who developed bone cancer. She underwent several surgeries, treatments, and she had to relearn how to walk at least twice that I can remember. I remember that her condition was such that I thought she'd break if I moved her the wrong way. Her mother was very supportive and uplifting for the young lady when things were nearly unbearable physically. It finally became obvious that medicines and treatments were going to be unsuccessful. So, she was taken to a Benny Hinn appearance. She did not make it to the stage. But, as I remember, her mother said that both of them were at peace with what was going to happen and I could sense that from the girl the last time I saw her before her death.

Those are a couple of the people who seek him out.

livingink
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 am

STEVE7150 wrote:As far as Hinn's gospel goes , i'm not an expert on him but he does deliver the basic gospel message plus he claims that Jesus heals and he attempts to demonstrate this. Now it's easy to critisize him but i think Hinn has now been out there for three decades doing this and if something is a sham , how long can you keep getting away with it in public.

He is selling the gospel and false hope of healing to hurting people. Please detail what parts of his life and ministry reflect the life of Jesus because I don't know of any.

May God have mercy on him and redeem Mr. Hinn from his lies and deceptions.

Dave
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 am

He is selling the gospel and false hope of healing to hurting people. Please detail what parts of his life and ministry reflect the life of Jesus because I don't know of any.

If his healings are fake then i agree but like i said can someone get away with this for 30 years? Can we interview the people supposedly healed by him and find out for sure if his demonstrations are a sham? I realize most Christians believe him to be a con artist but after 30 years there ought to be plenty of folks out there ready to expose his fake healings.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”