Todd Bentley Lakeland Florida revival

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Dear Michelle,

I took no offense to anything you asked about or posted.
(We're just fine).

Now, let us enter His courts with thanksgiving in our hearts! Amen?

Praise Jesus! :)
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:04 am

rick said:

Hey, Bro, could you please do a "link" with that URL?

i know you (or someone) explained how to do this before but i remember it being a little confusing- although i did get it to work once. maybe you can PM me with the "script".

didn't mean to make your screen wide. i hate when that happens.

i appreciate your words- very interesting!

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:38 pm

Bingo- i fixed that link. thanks for the lesson, Rick.

here it is again(you still have to scroll down to the correct title):

To God be Glory in the Church

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Rick,

Sometimes I don't understand things on these forums exactly the way the author meant them to be understood. May I ask a couple of questions and restate what I think you are saying so I understand better?

Michelle
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm

TK, Yer welcome & thanks for the "link" :wink: !
(Btw, you linked to Art Katz some time ago & I listened, will check it out again).

Hi Michelle,

After thinking about it, I've decided to make a new thread on prophecy (which will probably be a "copy & paste" of my post on this thread).

I'll have it under Misc. Theo. Topics...in an hour or so.

But yes, please, do ask me stuff!
(I'm still learning)!

Were your questions about my view of prophecy or something else?

Either way, I'll have a new thread up real soon, Thanks, :)
Last edited by _Rich on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 pm

New "The Spiritual Gift of Prophecy" thread URL (I hope it's not too long!), :wink:
http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?p=32139#32139
Thanks, :)
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm

I saw on TV yesterday that Todd Bentley was acknowledged as an "Apostle" by Peter Wagner, Rick Joyner, and several other members of the Apostolic movement during a layng on of hands ceremony at the Lakeland revival.

I'm a former member of YWAM, so I'm familiar with some of background of this movement, which I believe was begun by Dr. Wagner. I don't quite understand where they're coming from regarding this Apostolic title that they confer. It kind of reminds me in a way of the presumed authority that the leadership of the Roman Catholic church operates under.

Mr. Bentley does seem sincere in his ministry, but I must say that I find many of the events at the Lakeland revival troubling. And to have it displayed daily on worldwide television does give one pause.

I just finished a book called Authority, Accountability, and the Apostolic Movement by Dr. Stephen Crosby, and must say that it is a must read for everyone that has any experience or knowledge with/of the "apostolic movement" of our time. I'd even go as far as to say that everyone who believes in an apostolic grace/function/anointing of any kind should read it. There is so much light from the understanding of the Word Crosby has, that I believe many will be liberated from abusive churches. But this isn't it. Many will come to truly know Christ as the True Shepherd in such a measure that they will find healing in this dynamic, experiential knowledge of knowing this aspect of Him in a personal way. In fact, many whom having read this book who are themselves abusive in their leadership will likely either by moved to repentance, or they will end up hating this book for Christ the Shepherd being revealed through Crosby's book. PR, it is worth your money.
Reason:

_PR

Post by _PR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks Soaring Eagle, I've made note of your book suggestion...

Let me see if I can summarize my concern with the Apostolic/Prophecy movement and its leadership and how this pertains to the Lakeland revival.

A few years ago when this movement began to grow in popularity, I began to watch what they were teaching with interest. One day I saw one of the leaders (Cindy Jacob) give a quite detailed prophecy about the upcoming year on Benny Hinn's TV program, and I made note of it. At the end of the year it was quite clear that her prophecy pertaining to Mr. Hinn had not come to pass. I use her as one example, there have been other so called prophecies made by those in this movement that clearly did not come to pass. Unlike in Bible days, do you get a mulligan today when you speak a prophecy that does not come to pass?

Here's my point: If you can't know whether they are truly speaking from God or not, then why listen to them at all? And this leads me back to my original question in my post above, where does their authority to bestow Apostleship eminate from?

As they say in the Charismatic church, I have a check in my Spirit about some in this movement. And when many of the leaders show up at Lakeland to bestow the mantle of "Apostle" on Todd Bentley it does give me pause.

Thanks

PR
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”