Todd Bentley Lakeland Florida revival

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:04 am

SoaringEagle wrote:I think all of you following this thread and the issues pertaining to the lakeland revival should check this out. I do believe it is a prophetic word for those caught up in the extremeties of "revival". Tell me what you guys [and girls] think!
Thanks for the link. I thought he was very balanced.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_TK

Post by _TK » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:12 pm

I agree- thanks SE.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:42 am

For some reason I still haven't been rebuked by the Todd Bentley follower...and really, I would never kick anyone in the face or anywhere else.

He, the Todd follower, made a statement that is kind of provocative for me, one who was raised a cessationist but is not so sure now. He said that in the new covenant prophets no longer have to be 100% accurate since they now prophesy in part, so we can, and must, be forgiving of errors. Apparently in the old testament prophets saw things crystal clearly and there was no prophesying in part. Is that true?
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 am

Michelle wrote:Is that true?
No, I don't believe so. Steve had a caller ask about this on the June 11th show, and he's talked about this in some of his lectures (but I can't remember which one off hand). If someone is a false prophet one day, then how can we ever trust anything that comes out of their mouth the next day? Also, I don't believe that prophecy in part means part is true an part is false. I think "in part" means we don't have complete revelation, we have it in part. Some of this (or all?) comes by prophecy. But all of this prophecy is true, otherwise it would be of no use at all. I think I would ask where he got the idea that new covenant prophecy does not have to be 100% accurate.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:00 am

also- there is prophetic "speaking"- as in having a word from the Lord, then there is prophetic "prophecy"- i.e. predicting what is going to happen.

isnt that why Paul expects believers to judge prophetic speaking? i think there is room, in prophetic speaking, to sometimes get it wrong, which is why it is important to have discerning believers around to test what is said. nor do i think that if someone gets in wrong, that they are forever disqualified from ever again speaking a prophetic word that they believe is from the Lord.

TK

P.S. Michelle- you should read "surprised by the power of the Holy Spirit" by Jack Deere. He's a former cessationist who was a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary. I've been reading this book and he addresses a lot of the cessationist arguments. However, I dont know much about him other that what I have read in this book.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks, TK, I'll add that book to my reading list.

As for sometimes getting prophetic speaking wrong, does that mean it's ok for Todd Bentley to say that God told him to kick that woman, then later say, "Sorry, ma'am, I guess I made a mistake. Oh well. Let's move on?" Not that he's said that, however. At what point do we decide that someone is a false prophet?
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 am

I believe that Christians should very sparingly claim that God told them something. If God tells you something, it will be true—though having had Him speak to you does not make you a prophet of any kind, true or false.

If you do not say, "Thus says the Lord..." (or something equivalent), then you are not really prophesying, and you, as a private believer, may certainly mistake what you regard to be the word of the Lord, at times. Such mistakes should make you doubly cautious in the future about assuming the divine inspiration of your thoughts.

On the other hand, when preachers claim that God is telling them something, they are sort of making a claim to be prophesying. If they say, "Thus say the Lord..." then this is an explicit claim. Since those who lead are to be held to the highest standard, they should not be given a pass when they claim to be uttering a word direct from God, but are found to be wrong.

It is better to avoid claiming inspiration, than to claim it and then to bring genuine inspiration into disrepute by being found false. There should be far more reverence for the "word of the Lord" than to allow people to spew their own opinions and hunches and lightly to attribute their own words to God.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Agreed, Steve.

A good example of the kind of "prophecy" that i am talking about is in the movie "facing the giants." it can be seen at about minute 2:34-4:30 in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKwncRD1rE

TK
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:49 pm

TK wrote
A good example of the kind of "prophecy" that i am talking about is in the movie "facing the giants." it can be seen at about minute 2:34-4:30 in the following clip:

Hey TK, I had a similar experience to the one in the video clip. A friend of mine had bought a used car which turned out to be a lemon. He was distraught over the money he wasted...especially since he didn't have very much money.

The next morning I woke up and my bible flipped open to 2 Chon 25 where Amaziah hired 100000 soldiers from Israel. God subsequently told him to not use the Israelites. Amaziah then worried about the money he had wasted on them.

2Ch 25:9 And Amaziah said to the man of God, "But what shall we do about the hundred talents that I have given to the army of Israel?" The man of God answered, "The LORD is able to give you much more than this."

I felt strongly to go and share with my friend that he should not worry about the money he wasted on the car. Even if he had made a mistake (just like Amaziah), God is able to provide much more than he wasted.

Once I finished sharing what I had to say he looked up at me with a stunned look on his face and said "I was just reading that story this morning"!. Needless to say, he was encouraged.

I, like yourself and Steve, am not inclined to use phrases like "The Lord says". This is too flippant and disrespectful. I much prefer to say something like, "I think I’m suppose to share this with you" (even then, I rarely use those words). I would never want to presume to "speak for God" something he never said and misrepresent Him.

One thing I think about is the numerous times you'll see people quoted in newspapers and then the person quoted protests "I never said that!! That's not what I meant. I was taken out of context!" The last thing I'd want is to "speak for God" and have him say "I never said that!" I think misrepresenting God in a flippant manner is a serious matter

Jer 23:32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the LORD, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness. Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the LORD.

Steve F
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm

anothersteve wrote:TK wrote

Hey TK, I had a similar experience to the one in the video clip. A friend of mine had bought a used car which turned out to be a lemon. He was distraught over the money he wasted...especially since he didn't have very much money.

The next morning I woke up and my bible flipped open to 2 Chon 25 where Amaziah hired 100000 soldiers from Israel. God subsequently told him to not use the Israelites. Amaziah then worried about the money he had wasted on them.

2Ch 25:9 And Amaziah said to the man of God, "But what shall we do about the hundred talents that I have given to the army of Israel?" The man of God answered, "The LORD is able to give you much more than this."

I felt strongly to go and share with my friend that he should not worry about the money he wasted on the car. Even if he had made a mistake (just like Amaziah), God is able to provide much more than he wasted.

Once I finished sharing what I had to say he looked up at me with a stunned look on his face and said "I was just reading that story this morning"!. Needless to say, he was encouraged.

I, like yourself and Steve, am not inclined to use phrases like "The Lord says". This is too flippant and disrespectful. I much prefer to say something like, "I think I’m suppose to share this with you" (even then, I rarely use those words...even words like that can seem overdramtic at times. If what you're sharing is from God you don't usually need a preface to state such, it will likley be apparent). I would never want to presume to "speak for God" something he never said and misrepresent Him.

One thing I think about is the numerous times you'll see people quoted in newspapers and then the person quoted protests "I never said that!! That's not what I meant. I was taken out of context!" The last thing I'd want is to "speak for God" and have him say "I never said that!" I think misrepresenting God in a flippant manner is a serious matter

Jer 23:32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the LORD, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness. Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the LORD.

Steve F
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”