Through The Dust by Denny Gunderson

_Rae

Through The Dust by Denny Gunderson

Post by _Rae » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:10 am

I just finished reading this book for the second time and it was just as amazing as the first time I read it. I want to HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it to all. Last time I check it was 75 cents on half.com

If you read it, let me know what you think! (It's a pretty short book, but super powerful!)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Rae,

Denny Gunderson's book "The Leadership Paradox" is my absolute favorite book on leadership. He begins it by dramatically illustrating the diakonos = "through the dust" point. I'll have to see if I can find this book by him as well.

- Danny
Reason:

_featheredprop

Re: Through The Dust by Denny Gunderson

Post by _featheredprop » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:55 am

Rae wrote:I just finished reading this book for the second time and it was just as amazing as the first time I read it. I want to HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it to all.
Rae,

Thanks for the recommendation ... can you give me an idea of what the book is about? Why do you recommend it? I'm not familiar with the title or author ...

peace,

dane
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:22 am

I wasn't familiar with the author either... a friend of ours who leads a missionary training school (not YWAM) recommended it to me.

The full title is, "Through The Dust - Breaking Leadership Stereotypes"

Here is what the back of the book says:
What Makes a Good Leader?

-Ability to organize and take charge?
-Ability to preach and teach?
-Entrepreneurial skill?
-A charismatic personality?

According to Jesus, none of the above!

Jesus is unarguably the greatest leader the world has seen. His three years of public ministry in an obscure and troublesome corner of the Roman Empire not only irrevocably changed Roman civilization, but every other civilization that has subsequently emerged.

Yet remarkably, Jesus had little to say regarding leadership, and even less about how to attain it.

Perhaps that is why today's corporate driven church prefers to draw upon the leadership styles of Moses, David, Nehemiah or Paul. Denny Gunderson challenged us to think again.

This refreshingly candid book walks us alongside the Master. We observe Jesus through the eyes of people who experienced him first hand. And through their eyes we discovery many surprising insights into Jesus' leadership style. They are insights that will challenge us to re-think our leadership stereotypes.
I hope that helps... I'm not very good at doing book reviews. Maybe someone else will read it and post one!
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”