Is Allah a different God?

Paidion

Is Allah a different God?

Post by Paidion » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Do Muslims believe in a different God from that of Christianity or Judaism? Or do they believe in the same God, but hold a dramatically different view as to His character?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

seer

Re: Is Allah a different God?

Post by seer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:27 am

Paidion wrote:Do Muslims believe in a different God from that of Christianity or Judaism? Or do they believe in the same God, but hold a dramatically different view as to His character?

It's an idol. Mohammed did speak to a god, the god of this world. It is deeply satanic...

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:27 pm

What's an idol? Allah?

"Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God". When Arab-speaking Muslims become Christians, they continue to pray in their own language to "Allah". What else could they do? Substitute the English word "God" for the Arabic word "Allah"?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:15 pm

Paidion wrote:Do Muslims believe in a different God from that of Christianity or Judaism? Or do they believe in the same God, but hold a dramatically different view as to His character?
Well, if they believe in a God that has no Son then they believe in a different God. Since the revelation of Jesus as the Son of God who died on the cross for us pre-dates Islam and is what Islam does not believe then that would make Mohammad a false prophet and Islam a false religion, IMO.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Well, if they believe in a God that has no Son then they believe in a different God.
Would a Trinitarian conclude that Modalists believe in a different God because they believe in a God who is only ONE person? Or would a Modalist conclude that Trinitarians believe in a different God because they believe in a compound God consisting of 3 Persons?

Would an Arminian conclude that Calvinists believe in a different God because the Calvinists believe in a God who has causes every event that ever happens including all of man's choices?

Would an Annihilationist believe that those who hold to eternal damnation of the lost believe in a different God since they believe in a God who sends the lost to Hell forever?

In general, if anyone "believes in a God who behaves differently or is of a different character or essence from the God in which Joe Bloe believes, does this necessarily imply that he believes in a different God from the one in which Joe Bloe believes?
Paidion

NORTH

Post by NORTH » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Last edited by NORTH on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seer

Post by seer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:41 am

Paidion wrote:What's an idol? Allah?

"Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God". When Arab-speaking Muslims become Christians, they continue to pray in their own language to "Allah". What else could they do? Substitute the English word "God" for the Arabic word "Allah"?

Paidion, Mohammed claimed that God revealed Himself to him through the angel Gabriel. I do not doubt that Mohammed had this experience. So if he was not lying or deluded then who was this god? Was it the Christian God who requires the atoning sacrifice of Christ for justification? The God that sent His only begotten Son? No, Mohammed denied that Jesus was God's son, and they deny that Christ ever died on the cross. And they deny justification by said death. No Paidion, this is deception - and we know who the deceiver is....

Has your desire for inclusivism made you blind?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:40 am

I wouldn't attempt to force a muslim convert to stop using the word 'Allah' for God. But the discipleship process should definitely include a radical re-definition of God's character. To me, it's not really a question of whether muslim's are worshipping God or an idol. It's a question of how to rightly worship God. Right now, they are not rightly worshipping God b/c they are doing it outside of Christ. If they become Christians, they can worship 'Allah' in and through Christ.

seer

Post by seer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 am

mattrose wrote:I wouldn't attempt to force a muslim convert to stop using the word 'Allah' for God. But the discipleship process should definitely include a radical re-definition of God's character. To me, it's not really a question of whether muslim's are worshipping God or an idol. It's a question of how to rightly worship God. Right now, they are not rightly worshipping God b/c they are doing it outside of Christ. If they become Christians, they can worship 'Allah' in and through Christ.

How ya doing Matt? Like I said, who was this being that Mohammed spoke with? Who sent that angel? This clearly seems demonic. A angel of light who deceives...
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

Theophilus

Post by Theophilus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:02 am

I'm not so sure about the continued worship of 'Allah' through Christ.

This would probably depend on the language being spoken and the definition/meaning assigned to the word Allah. I'm not sure if there are other Arabic words for God other than Allah.

Language
I think Allah is the Arabic language family equivalent of the Hebrew name for El, or God.

I'm not sure if Allah is used as the personal name for God or as his title. The Bible reveals God's name as YHWH in Hebrew or Greek->English as LORD. So I wonder if Arab speakers have an equivalent for LORD.

I'm not sure why Muslims include the OT/NT in their canon, but would not refer to the equivalent of Yahweh Elohim (LORD God) as God. Maybe they do.

Meaning
1 John 2:23No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

According to this verse and others, if Jesus is not part of our view of YHWH, then we do not know YHWH as He wants us to know Him. So it could be argued in a specific sense that a view of God without the Son is not the true Allah. However, in a general sense, all monotheistic religions acknowledge only 1 Allah.

Return to “Islam”