LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

mishamari

Re: LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

Post by mishamari » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Jill wrote:selah,

As for whatever its worth... Joseph Smith was born in Sharron Vermont in Dec 1805. He Said he saw God and His son Jesus Christ when at the age of just 14 years old. He testifies and also gives an open objective description at just 17 years of age, of a vistiation by a heavenly messenger on the evening of september 21, 1823. He publicaly records that this same heavenly messanger reappeared to him twice more that very same night, and one more time in broad daylight the very next day, having given the exact location of the small 6"X 8" plates of Mormon to be found in a small dry well under a very large flat stone, which Joseph Smith testifies were found where the messenger informed him that they would be. By 1829 on May 15th, Joseph Smith and his translating scribe Oliver Cowdery, while in the woods by a river, inquired of God as to the baptism referred to in the plates of Mormon, and recieved permission to do so. By immersion, and also the permission for the laying on of hands to recieve the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and by the Aaronic Pristhood. The messenger was in full daylight, and not visiting them night after night in dreams or anyother way. The entitled: Book of Mormon was in first print of 2000 copies well before April 6th 1830. A small group of just six men in Fayette New York state, registered a name as "The Church of Christ". The Bible and The Book of Mormon (leaves the OT at 1st year Zedekiah, which is right at 2 Kings 24).

Until this theos.org forum last year, and by the assistance of Paidion, I would have not known of the gross and violent possibilities of the SDA's "Great Disappointment" of august 1844, the same year that Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were also shot. June 27th 1844, Nauvoo Ill.

Thank you Padion.

Also, as I have posted many times in prior posts, My KJV Bible should be and is the very same KJV Bible as anyone elses.
Hi all. I'd like to introduce myself...I'm Mishamari...mish for short. I met Jill on another board and she invited me to come here. I am an ex-Mormon. If there is an introduction area I'll find it and post another introduction. Jill, remember the First Vision account that you are speaking of is the 3rd revision. Initially Joseph said an angel appeared to him and then later he say the Father and his last version was that he saw the Father and the Son, both with bodies. (I am having some problems with my display bouncing all over so I apologize if there are mistakes). Also, your KJV is a little different as it has different foot notes and also the JST translations at the bottom. I have to end this post I absolutely cannot see what I'm typing .

selah

Post by selah » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am

mishamari wrote:
Hi all. I'd like to introduce myself...I'm Mishamari...mish for short. I met Jill on another board and she invited me to come here. I am an ex-Mormon. If there is an introduction area I'll find it and post another introduction. Jill, remember the First Vision account that you are speaking of is the 3rd revision. Initially Joseph said an angel appeared to him and then later he say the Father and his last version was that he saw the Father and the Son, both with bodies. (I am having some problems with my display bouncing all over so I apologize if there are mistakes). Also, your KJV is a little different as it has different foot notes and also the JST translations at the bottom. I have to end this post I absolutely cannot see what I'm typing .

hi mish, welcome! so nice to read your post. I'm interested in the accounts that you mentioned above. Is there verifiable information somewhere that three different accounts were told?

What happened to cause you to leave the LDS church? What faith are you now?

I hope your pc problems got fixed.

See :) ya, selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 am

In this scripture, we get consolation from our doomed Hero, Jesus Christ. He knows He is destined to die soon, but He consoles His disciples. I believe we can include ourselves as those receiving consolation too, because Jesus later says that everything He wants for the disciples in His presense, He also wants for us--"those who will believe in Me through their (the disciples) word." (John 17:20)

John 14:1 is cross referenced to John 14:27, where Jesus again says "...let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid."

This is really the essence of the faith, God is revealed through Jesus. Most people believe in God but this means little in their life because they don't know him so they can't believe him or trust him or really be comforted because they have no relationship. Through Jesus came God's grace which is a gift that needs to be received in the heart and mind and is very real if we actually believe it.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:04 pm

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:30 pm

We can find the witness of Jesus Christ, as to his life, and of the event of his wrongful and public execution in The New Testament.

Well his death is wrongful because of the motivations of his accusers but necessary to redeem man with God (Isa 53). As far as i know we are never told why the shedding of blood is required to atone for sin other then a hint in Lev 17.11 "life is in the blood and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins", but a reason is never given as far as i know.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:18 pm

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am

John 14:1 is cross referenced to John 14:27, where Jesus again says "...let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid."

Another thing i like about this "let not" could be construed as a command to not be troubled if we believe in Jesus yet Christians allow themselves to be troubled almost as much as unbelievers.
We seem to believe in salvation but not other promises of God because we are really ruled by our senses and the secular philosophy of "under the circumstances" rather then "under God."

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Post by selah » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Jill wrote:
steve7150 wrote:John 14:1 is cross referenced to John 14:27, where Jesus again says "...let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid."

Another thing i like about this "let not" could be construed as a command to not be troubled if we believe in Jesus yet Christians allow themselves to be troubled almost as much as unbelievers.
We seem to believe in salvation but not other promises of God because we are really ruled by our senses and the secular philosophy of "under the circumstances" rather then "under God."
"Let not your hearts be troubled; neither let it be afraid" implies to me that Jesus Christ, as you say, may already know that things and circumstances may not be as they to seem to you and I in our present condition. That things which may seem too big or too scarey or too unfair or too complicated, are not at all to Jesus Christ, and that He is the way to peace in both this life and in the life to come. The New Testament is a place where we can find the name of Jesus Christ, and a witness to his ministry and his advice to us who are now.
Wonderful encouragement for me today. Thank you.
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”