Jewish Commentary

DonW

Jewish Commentary

Post by DonW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Was wondering if there is a good Jewish online source of commentary or explanations verse by verse. I wanted to see what they say about Isaiah 53, Daniel 9 and other Messianic prophecy.

Thanks

Don

dizerner

Re: Jewish Commentary

Post by dizerner » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 pm

I think the traditional explanation is that the suffering servant is the entire nation of Israel.

This page may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_co ... _the_Bible

I found watching some debates with so called "counter-missionary" rabbis helpful for understanding the Jewish perspective.

Here's Rashi one of the most famous early commentaries:

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo ... rashi=true

A modern commentary is published by Artscroll.

DonW

Post by DonW » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 am

Good stuff, thanks for that.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:36 pm

It's interesting that the official Jewish explanation of the suffering servant of Isaiah 53 is Israel.

Yet, I'll never forget, while in Bible school, bringing tracts to Jewish homes which contained Isaiah 53 in Hebrew, Yiddish, and English.
At one home, I handed the tract to the man who answered the door. He read it in my presence. I asked him, "Whom do you think that is talking about?"
He didn't reply, "Israel." Rather he replied, "Why ha mashiach, of course!"
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm

I'll have to check my source, but it seems that someone I know well had mentioned to me several years ago, that one of the last holdout sects of Jews that were hoping for a "Messiah" had finally embraced the "nation" concept.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm

[verse]It's interesting that the official Jewish explanation of the suffering servant of Isaiah 53 is Israel.[/verse][/verseblock]

I think they also believe that there may be a Messiah in every generation hidden away. The nation concept may not have really developed until the 1300s.

Return to “Judaism”