Was Everything Written, God's Inspired Word?

robbyyoung

Was Everything Written, God's Inspired Word?

Post by robbyyoung » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Hello All,

I would like to focus this question specfically on the NT. We know most of the NT was in the form of letters, addressed to people, assemblies or both. Is everything contained in those letters, "The Word of God?", or must we carefully examine what the NT Writers proclaim, wthin the letters, what is from the mouth of God, verses their general fillers in a conversation which normal takes place in a dialogue. For example; 2 Tim 4:13, Paul said, "The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments."

Is this "The Word of God"? Some may say, of course not! This isn't applicable to "The Gospel or any component of God's message". It's a filler in a normal conversation. However, compare the following; 1 Thessalonians 4:15, Paul said, "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.."

And there's the difference. Would this careful analysis make a difference throughout scripture in our studies? Would it aid us in getting the context correct as it was related to the original audience? Could it help clarify some things? Can the reading, "of someone else's mail" make us more sensitive in the personalization of these letters?

Let me know your thoughts and God Bless :) .

dizerner

Re: Was Everything Written, God's Inspired Word?

Post by dizerner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paidion

Re: Was Everything Written, God's Inspired Word?

Post by Paidion » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 pm

For example; 2 Tim 4:13, Paul said, "The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments."
I have used this very passage in an attempt to show that Paul often wrote about ordinary matters in his letters, just as anyone might do. I asked a pastor one time, "Do you know anyone who ever preached a message on this text?"

Amazingly, the pastor declared that he had done so himself! He said the title of his sermon was, "Bring the Cloke as well as the Books and Parchments"
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Christianity”