Eastern Orthodox Church

selah

Eastern Orthodox Church

Post by selah » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:19 pm

This site lists the beliefs that the Eastern Orthodox Church (EOC) believes and disbelieves. http://www.onearthasinheaven.com/beliefs.html

I'm wondering if, since they use a slightly different Bible than Evangelicals use, if this is why some of their doctrine is vastly different from the Evangelistic belief system. That can't be the only explanation though since Roman Catholics (RC) use the KJV (I think) but, their beliefs are also very different from Evangelicals. I suppose the reason for this is that the EOC and RC alike, say that they adhere to Church Tradition as much as they say they follow the written words of the Bible. Fascinating! So many religions, so many perspectives. I love "peering in the door" and investigating! What do you know about the EOC?

Thanks.
selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

kaufmannphillips

Re: Eastern Orthodox Church

Post by kaufmannphillips » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:29 am

I'm wondering if, since they use a slightly different Bible than Evangelicals use, if this is why some of their doctrine is vastly different from the Evangelistic belief system. That can't be the only explanation though since Roman Catholics (RC) use the KJV (I think) but, their beliefs are also very different from Evangelicals. I suppose the reason for this is that the EOC and RC alike, say that they adhere to Church Tradition as much as they say they follow the written words of the Bible. Fascinating! So many religions, so many perspectives. I love "peering in the door" and investigating! What do you know about the EOC?
Some differences in doctrine may derive from a different biblical canon and/or a different text for their Old Testament. But I suppose a big piece of it is that Eastern Orthodoxy grew and developed in different times and different cultures than Evangelicalism did. Different cultures and different eras frequently think differently from each other.

Roman Catholics have their own bibles, including: the Douay-Rheims; the New American Bible; the Jerusalem Bible; the New Jerusalem Bible; and the Christian Community Bible. The NRSV has also been published in a Catholic edition; and in an edition that includes not only the Catholic apocrypha, but also additional texts found in Eastern Orthodox bibles.

Eastern Orthodoxy is a fascinating sector of Christianity. It can be worth exploring in a number of respects, but I particularly recommend reading about the concept of theosis.

A standard introductory text to Eastern Orthodoxy is Timothy Ware's The Orthodox Church. You also might find Peter Gillquist's book, Becoming Orthodox, interesting. It tells the story of a bunch of former Campus Crusade sorts who migrated into Eastern Orthodoxy. In a similar vein, Francis Schaeffer's son converted to Eastern Orthodoxy; I once heard him speak (in Medford, of all places).
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 pm

The Orthodox have a concept of the atonement which differs sharply from that of Roman Catholicism and Protestants (including evangelicals). Here is a Youtube of Hany Mina Mikhail — Part One of twelve discourses:

Hany Mina Mikhail
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Paidion wrote:The Orthodox have a concept of the atonement which differs sharply from that of Roman Catholicism and Protestants (including evangelicals). Here is a Youtube of Hany Mina Mikhail — Part One of twelve discourses:

Hany Mina Mikhail
I like the link, but that is from a Coptic Orthodox. They, in the view of Eastern Orthodox are in schism, but they are essentially the same in spirituality and practice.

Here is a link to a simplified Orthodox understanding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8
Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God.

Return to “Christianity”