The DaVinci Code

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Tue May 02, 2006 12:08 pm

I just came across this on another forum and thought I'd share. Since the DB book is gnosticism as far as many are concerned, I'm sure it will be mentioned.
D.

Darwinism and the Rise of Gnosticism: The Byte Show interview with Phillip D. Collins

Hour One

Hour Two
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:42 pm

Last but not least "The History Channel" which is not a friend to Christianity ran a documentary on "The Davinchi Code" and the narrator , Arthur Kent managed to get the permission needed to obtain the DNA of this royal family through their bones and had it analyzed by the leading DNA guy in Europe to see if there was a trace of Middle Eastern descent. There was no evidence of middle eastern descent which apparently is traceable.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Wed May 03, 2006 8:52 am

glow wrote:I realize this post has been up for a while but I just wanted to go some where where I felt someone out there as a Christian would maybe be in unity with me with this.

I find it very hard to swallow all the Christians and churches surrounding me holding all these bible classes, over head telecasts,non stop discussions,Etc.etc. regarding the DaVinci Code. I understand it has lies in it, I understand folks will walk away after reading it possibly believing the lies that are in it. BUT does that mean we have to buy into the "what I see as almost panic and Gossip of the "worldly stirring up of this book and it's contraversery?

I went to a new bible study tonight. I didnt know before hand what it was going to be on, yep, you quessed it. The Davinci Code. I was very disturbed with all the time and energy and dollars for books and videos spent on this again.Several people there almost expressed fear on what it was going to do with our society and our young children.. I listened to all and prayed for the Lord to help me keep my mouth SHUT all the time I was there. I didn't want to stir up discention because clearly I was the only one there that held the beliefs I did.

I won't be going back though. I tried to pleasantly leave, thanking the hostess. As a Christian I know it is important to know some of the truths in these matters especially if we are exposed to others taking it in as truth. But how much is enough.Just last night on 60 mins on tv they did a very good job debuncking the priority of Sion and how fake it was and even showed the artist who forged the papers it was printed on before being filed and in the 1950s also!. That cost the public virtually "nothing in dollars to watch".

In general though, I couldn't help seeing the smiles on the faces of all the book and video producers as they raked in the cash from all of this. Christians and non Christian publishers alike. While being quiet at the bible study tonight.. And the movie isn't even out yet. I learned tonight one of the co.s I think Nintendo is coming out with a game version. Aren't we just feeding into all this wordly, shark frenzy hype holding all these bible studies, church gatherings etc.even, extra books debunking the book.

D. Brown and his mangers have done a great job whipping us into a frenzy but at the same time as Christians shouldn't we be praying for him also? Even just as an enemy. I am getting alittle burnt out on hearing the folks around me put him down also. He's decieved, spreading rumors and lies but didn't God create him also and shouldn't we be praying for him too???

Does any one out there agree with me??? I feel like I am alone on an Island out here. EXCEPT I have peace because my Glorious father loves me, he will ultimately handle ALL of this so we don't need to be anxious, and I know it. Glow
I'm with you, Glow. I'm sick to death of hearing about the DaVinci Code! I want to move on....

Glow ~ I'm leaving for the airport in 45 minutes. Yippee!
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Wed May 03, 2006 9:55 am

I would agree with glow and Michelle.
So many Christians seemed to be worked up in a panic that another Christian will read the book and leave the faith.
In my opinion, we need to be prepared to speak intelligently on the false assertions that have been recycled in this book and I think the books addressing the claims of the DaVinci code are appropriate.

However, if someone is willing to leave faith in Jesus for easily debunked fantasies, then the following parable of Jesus comes to mind:

Mark 4:1-20

1 Again he began to teach beside the sea. And a very large crowd gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat in it on the sea, and the whole crowd was beside the sea on the land. 2 And he was teaching them many things in parables, and in his teaching he said to them: 3 “Listen! A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it. 5 Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil. 6 And when the sun rose it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. 8 And other seeds fell into good soil and produced grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold.” 9 And he said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

10 And when he was alone, those around him with the twelve asked him about the parables. 11 And he said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables, 12 so that

“they may indeed see but not perceive,
and may indeed hear but not understand,
lest they should turn and be forgiven.”

13 And he said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables? 14 The sower sows the word. 15 And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them. 16 And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: the ones who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy. 17 And they have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away. 18 And others are the ones sown among thorns. They are those who hear the word, 19 but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. 20 But those that were sown on the good soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit, thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold.”
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Wed May 03, 2006 10:56 am

I think part of the problem is that churches usually don't teach anything related to apologetics. The congregation of most churches probably don't have a clue what gnosticism is or that early church fathers delt with it as well. Since they have never been trained to think for themselves and never been exposed to alternative interpretations of anything, they are easily taken in by it. To use eschatology as an example, The pastor that we had at at fairly large church used to have a prophesy seminar at least once, if not twice, a year. His favorite end-times evangelist would come in and preach the same impending doom every time and associate current events with prophesy...ignoring all the while that he had associated the same prophesy with different events the year before and the year before that and the year before that.... Knowing the pastor's fascination with Revelation, I approached the pastor one day with Steve's book in hand and asked him if he had ever read it or heard of it. He hadn't, so I recommended it to him, I told him the purpose behind it, and offered to leave it with him so that he could look over it some time. This is no joke. This pastor of a church with over 5,000 members looked at me, and with all seriousness, asked, "Why would I want to know more than one view?" and went back to fixing his coffee. My mouth dropped open :o , I rolled my eyes :roll: , and I went to find a wall to bang my head against Image. With attitudes like that from the shepherds, is it any wonder the sheep wonder off?
D.
Reason:

_glow

Post by _glow » Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm

djeaton Haha loves those smiley graphics you used!

I agree there are alot of folks that don't learn or hear about church history etc. BUT I think if a true follower is "following" it would be important for them to seek out info on a whole variety of subjects that have to do with their Lord "seperate" from their leaders. Mind blowing how that one pastor replied to you, but also unfortunately not suprizing on some levels too.

Most of what I have learned I have learned on my own time spent in reading or searching out answers or even from a relative of mine whose son actually was knighted as a templar knight through the org. that still exsists a year ago.!

Anyways my main objection to all this Davinci code stuff is the hype. I feel like to many times Christian groups get led off in kind of a shark feeding frenzy and out of fear or worry, and we know what our Lord says about that, ( but they call it something else at their meetings etc.) The churches start getting the "buzz" between them and before you know it many many churches are all reading the latest hot book out and holding bible classes, talks discussions, quest speakers..

Spending alot of xtra money where I for one would, rather have them take a collection and send it to folks in true need instead of linining a sharp publishings co.s pocket. Spend more time in action reaching out to the neady than brain storming on how we are going to keep this scary book out of the hands of our Children etc.

I am not saying there is not a place to learn and be informed we should. But to the the extent it is being spread around me anyways I prefer to do something with my time in a hopefully more productive area.I don't even have to spend money on gas to drive some where to pray! I can be laid back physically at home or any where and still pray. How cool is that!

I hope I am not coming off smug. I don't mean to be. Those who decided to study the Davinci code in the bible study I wrote about, I went to, have every right to do so and may find a lot of good people bonding in it, I don't know. I just know it wasn't for me.

Schoel I enjoyed your points also. michelle, enjoy that trip, you know Im prayin for you.

Thanks.It can be comforting some times to know you don't stand alone on some issues. Glow
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Wed May 03, 2006 8:41 pm

glow wrote: Anyways my main objection to all this Davinci code stuff is the hype. I feel like to many times Christian groups get led off in kind of a shark feeding frenzy and out of fear or worry, and we know what our Lord says about that, ( but they call it something else at their meetings etc.)
Say it isn't so! Churches following hype? But there is such sound doctrine in The Prayer of Jabez and The Purpose Driven Life! LOL
D.
Reason:

_glow

davinci code

Post by _glow » Thu May 04, 2006 10:54 pm

Hah
Funny when you mentioned the prayer of Jabez. I remember when I was in Wash. D.C. 5 years ago that book was buzzing there. And even the white house had a copy on one of the "coffee" tables there or so was the rumor and it was all the buzz there......on the news etc.

Well, I suppose there could have been worse books? Glow
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”