Word of Faith ~ another gospel?

Soulsnaxx

Word of Faith ~ another gospel?

Post by Soulsnaxx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm

http://youtu.be/extyf-e_jEc

The "Word of Faith" movement claims there is supernatural power in the mouths of Christians? Can Christians really make life, healing, wealth and good health occur just by speaking it and believing it? If you holler at a mountain to move, will it remove, or will it reply with an echo?

A caller to The Narrow Path radio program, hosted by Steve Gregg, inquired about the claims of the "Word of Faith" movement. They discussed whether the doctrine of this movement is true to Jesus' Gospel, or if it is a different gospel. This is a brief video version of that discussion. Click on the link above to take a look/listen, then share your thoughts here.

TK

Re: Word of Faith ~ another gospel?

Post by TK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I certainly agree with Steve on this.

Where I get a little confused is the relationship between being positive and faith. In other words it is easier to be full of faith if you think positively vs being a gloomy Gus.

I certainly don't believe that "words create worlds" as bill johnsonites like to say but isn't it better to speak positive things in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:54 pm

I don't think we need to be focused on whether our comments are "positive" or "negative" (Christ's dictated letters to the seven churches were pretty well balanced between these two kinds of statements), but rather, whether they are true (Eph.4:15) and edifying (Eph.4:29).

There are, of course, positive realities that are true simultaneously with truths that are negative (e.g., People are getting saved in large numbers in China; the church is languishing in America). One may choose to focus on the happy truths more than on the unhappy ones, though it is likely that coming to grips with the unhappy truths will be as necessary, if not more so, as rejoicing in the positive ones.

The thing to avoid is the idea that positive statements carry some kind of magic, even when they are not true—like saying, "I feel no pain," when we are, in reality, in great pain, hoping that by our saying so we will change the reality.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:40 pm

steve wrote:The thing to avoid is the idea that positive statements carry some kind of magic, even when they are not true—like saying, "I feel no pain," when we are, in reality, in great pain, hoping that by our saying so we will change the reality.
Do word of faith teachers completely ignore the Psalms? It seems to me that the Psalmists voiced some pretty negative stuff!

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Matt, I think they hid the Psalms in the same place they did Ecclesiastes.... :lol:
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”