Did David sin only against God?

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:08 pm

But I don't think God's commands are necessarily arbitrary; the standards He sets are according to His own character, which as you say, IS Love; but He still sets those standards, & that is what makes them right, because He is God the Creator, & has the right to choose & set the rules.
If God did not exist, & set a moral standard, I still don't see how any right or wrong could possibly exist.
I guess it is all related to our understanding of morality, that is, right and wrong actions.

Suppose God did not exist, and all things came to be through evolutionary processes. Do you really think there would be no distinction between right and wrong? Would people accept murder, rape, and theft on the same level as they would accept giving to the needy, supporting one's neighbour, and self-sacrifice to save a life? Or do you think that the latter would not exist --- that everyone would be entirely self-serving? I doubt that this would be the case, for I have seen many non-disciples who give to the needy, and are self-sacrificing for the sake of others --- and not just to appear to be good in the eyes of others. It was genuine.

So I think that even without God, people would still call actions which harm others "evil" and those which help and support others "good".

As for God's command to Abraham to sacrifice his son, it was clearly a test of Abraham, so that he would know that Abraham would obey him in whatever he asked:

Genesis 22:12 He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."

God had never intended that Abraham would actually carry out the sacrifice of his son.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Paidion wrote:Suppose God did not exist, and all things came to be through evolutionary processes. Do you really think there would be no distinction between right and wrong? Would people accept murder, rape, and theft on the same level as they would accept giving to the needy, supporting one's neighbour, and self-sacrifice to save a life? Or do you think that the latter would not exist --- that everyone would be entirely self-serving?
Why not? Do you think that morality would evolve along with opposable thumbs and walking upright? Why would it be necessary to altruistic to survive? Actually maybe a tribe or society would be more likely to survive if they worked together and helped each other. Conversely, they might be better off being cruelest to the weakest. I don't think you can assume that evolution would result in morality.

By the way, are you an evolutionist?
I doubt that this would be the case, for I have seen many non-disciples who give to the needy, and are self-sacrificing for the sake of others --- and not just to appear to be good in the eyes of others. It was genuine.
I don't understand what the non-believers in this example are meant to prove.

I believe that every human was created by God. I believe that every human was create to bear the image of God, therefore, I believe that as a human being grows up, he becomes aware of right and wrong and can choose to act either morally or immorally in any given situation.

I don't think God sets moral standards arbitrarily. I'm not sure he even "sets" them. I think the moral standards we see in the Bible are a reflection of him; he is love, he is just, he is upright, he is good.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Michelle wrote:I don't think God sets moral standards arbitrarily. I'm not sure he even "sets" them. I think the moral standards we see in the Bible are a reflection of him; he is love, he is just, he is upright, he is good.
Thank you for these statements. They strongly support all that I have been trying to explain.

God is loving, just, upright, and good, as you have said. These are descriptions of God. We have to have some kind of idea what these moral adjectives mean before we can apply them to God.

However, unless I am greatly misunderstanding her, Rae seems to hold the position that these qualities cannot exist unless God commands them.

And you youself, seem to think that without God man would be entirely self-serving. Why would you think that?

My example of unbelievers showing genuine altruistic tendencies was not offered to prove anything. It was offered to illustrate that without the spirit of God moving in a person, a person can still be good. Goodness and morality are not entirely dependent on the influence of God on people, unless of course, we assume that there is some measure of goodness in every person that traces back to the original creation of man. And I wouldn't argue against that. I don't claim to know the answer to this.

All I have been trying to say is that morality and moral standards do not exist because someone commands us to behave a certain way. Rather it is just the converse. People (including God) who require moral behaviour do so because moral imperatives exist. They do not exist because someone requires them.

I am not an evolutionist. I am a young-earth creationist.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Paidion wrote:Thank you for these statements. They strongly support all that I have been trying to explain.

God is loving, just, upright, and good, as you have said. These are descriptions of God. We have to have some kind of idea what these moral adjectives mean before we can apply them to God.
:D
However, unless I am greatly misunderstanding her, Rae seems to hold the position that these qualities cannot exist unless God commands them.
Not sure, hopefully Sue will explain herself further.
And you youself, seem to think that without God man would be entirely self-serving. Why would you think that?
Because without God why would a high set of moral principles develop? For evolution to work its magic, the strongest and most adaptable have to be the survivors, right? So at what point would you expect to see the emergence of an impulse to help weaker, less adaptable creatures? If murderous tribal warfare worked, why would it stop? If destroying unwanted offspring helped insure survival, why would it suddenly become immoral to do so?
My example of unbelievers showing genuine altruistic tendencies was not offered to prove anything. It was offered to illustrate that without the spirit of God moving in a person, a person can still be good. Goodness and morality are not entirely dependent on the influence of God on people, unless of course, we assume that there is some measure of goodness in every person that traces back to the original creation of man. And I wouldn't argue against that. I don't claim to know the answer to this.
I don't know the answer either, I'm really just thinking aloud, but I do think that perhaps the goodness in people traces back to creation. Also, I'm not so sure that people who are non-disciples are totally devoid of the influence of God in their lives. After all, they benefit from his mercy and patience, perhaps they are responding to these, and other expressions of love, even though they have no idea they are.
All I have been trying to say is that morality and moral standards do not exist because someone commands us to behave a certain way. Rather it is just the converse. People (including God) who require moral behaviour do so because moral imperatives exist. They do not exist because someone requires them.
I agree, and would add that moral imperatives exist because God exists.
I am not an evolutionist. I am a young-earth creationist.
Sorry that I asked you that.
Reason:

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:24 am

Hi.
I’m still thinking out loud, but am not sure if I can explain myself any differently. I just can’t conceive of a moral quality existing apart from God.
So I do in fact think that if God did not exist, and all things came to be through evolutionary processes, that there would be no distinction between right and wrong.
There couldn’t be in an absolute sense.

Without God setting a standard, how could there be any absolutes for man to determine whether an action is inherently 'good' or 'bad' (i.e. by whose standard??) – it would be just a matter of whether it is expedient to adhere to the prevailing laws of a particular society.

I also think that any goodness in mankind may trace back to being created in God’s image; but because of sin, I expect that at times even seemingly altruistic actions can in fact be entirely self-serving. Even in born-again Christians!

Jesus said that only God is good. (Wouldn’t that mean that without God there would not be any goodness)?

But I think I am repeating myself a bit so I might leave it at that!

p.s. I also believe in a young earth creation. But, there are Christians who believe that God used the evolution method - that's the only conclusion I came up with when, (while a firm Christian), in high school biology we were presented with the evoultion theory as scientifically proven fact - before I learned better.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you for your last post, Sue. Actually you did a lot of explaining in the following paragraph:
Without God setting a standard, how could there be any absolutes for man to determine whether an action is inherently 'good' or 'bad' (i.e. by whose standard??) – it would be just a matter of whether it is expedient to adhere to the prevailing laws of a particular society.

I, myself, believe in objective morality, rather than subjective. But I disbelieve that this morality has its origin in a set of commands. I believe moralilty is as objective as the colour blue. I think that as a result of Adam and Eve's eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, all people have a "moral sense" if I may put it that way. This fact is verified in that all people of all cultures believe in the same set of basic moral principles, even though most people don't practise them (at least not consistently). For example, throughout virtually every culture, it is right to help your neighbour, and wrong to harm him. It is wrong to kill people for one's own convenience.

I know that it can be pointed out that in one culture, people who deceive and trick others are admired. But the very fact that such made the headlines in many newspapers, indicates that it was a deviancy from the norm.

I've heard of one culture in which people routinely killed their parents at age 60. We would consider that to be morally wrong. But the practice was based on a false belief. It was believed that in the after life, you will be the same age you are when you die. So these people believed they were saving their parents from being old and decrepit, and have to suffer all eternity with the painful and crippling effects of old age. So actually they were trying to fulfill the moral principle that one ought to help their parents.

There is no doubt that many of the immoral practices in North American culture also stems from false belief. Some justify abortion on such grounds. In the middle ages, Catholics and Protestants put to death many "heretics" on the grounds that if they lived, they would lead many others astray, and thus far more people would end up in "everlasting torment" than otherwise would. It is somewhat the same justification for administering capital punishment for murder, that justification being that the killer won't kill other people also.

Although I believe in objective morality, that is, it in no way depends upon what we believe or think, I do not believe in the absolutist theory of morality ---- that is that a moral imperative such as "Do not lie" is always the morally right thing to do. I believe in the hierarchal theory of morality, that is, that moral imperatives can be arranged in a hierarchy so that some principles take precedent over others, and that this recognition makes it possible to resolve moral conflicts. For example, it is morally right to lie in order to save a life. The reason is that the moral principle that we should save a life takes precedence over the moral principle to refrain from lying.

Erwin Lutzer, pastor of Moody Church in Chicago wrote a book on morality. Erwin was an absolutist with regards to morality. His book indicates that he believed that if you were faced with a moral conflict, you might choose to do "the lesser of two evils" but would still have sinned. So if you lied to save a life, you still sinned by lying, and would have to ask forgiveness.

In prison for his faith in communist Romania, Richard Wurmbrand was frequently tortured and deprived of food. He was often asked where certain Christians lived. At first he refused to tell. For he wanted no responsibility for bringing fellow disiciples to that place of torment. But when the torture got beyond his endurance, he gave then names. But they were all names of Christians who had either escaped the country, or had died. Wurmband once stated that it was right to lie to the Communists. He was once challenged on his disobedience to the Communit authorities on the grounds that Paul instructed us to obey the authorities since they were ordained by God. Wurbrand responded that Paul had said that the authorities that God had placed were put there to "punish the evildoers and reward the righteous". He said that the Communists do the exact opposite! So the Communists are not true authorities. They are not ordained by God.

In the OT, Rahab lied to those who asked her about the Hebrew spies. She said that they had been there but had gone on, when, in fact, they were hidden under her roof. Yes, she was placed among the men and women of faith in Hebrews 11 because she had welcomed the spies. One of he second century writers put it another way: "because she did not disclose the spies", in other words, because she lied.

I do not claim that it is an easy task to always know what is right to do in cases of moral conflict, or even in case where there is none. I believe that as disciples we are obligated to follow the law of Christ as given in Matthew 5, 6, and 7 (and elsewhere). But even there we are sadly lacking. How many Christians do you know who refuse to take an oath in court or elsewhere? And that in spite of the fact that Christ instructed us to "swear not all but let your answer be [a simple] "yes" or "no". I'm sure these Christians do not think they are acting imorally by swearing an oath.
Reason:
Paidion

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks, Paidion, there's some very interesting concepts to think about, especially regarding an absolutist v. hierachal theory of morality.

I wonder how many people ever actually sit down & work out their beliefs, or just find themselves unconsciously acting out of whatever has been absorbed during their lifetime, which may at times be contradictory.
I bet most people tell 'white' lies sometimes, even if unaware of doing so, may be choosing to follow a 'higher' moral law - kindness for example (eg. showing delight when receiving some hideous gift from someone you love or don't wish to offend)!
Erwin Lutzer, pastor of Moody Church in Chicago wrote a book on morality. Erwin was an absolutist with regards to morality. His book indicates that he believed that if you were faced with a moral conflict, you might choose to do "the lesser of two evils" but would still have sinned. So if you lied to save a life, you still sinned by lying, and would have to ask forgiveness.
I don't think I agree with this - in my understanding, to be forgiven one has to genuinely repent - to me that would mean an implication that I was so sorry, that if I could only go back in time, I would choose not to do that sin. So I would in effect be repenting for saving someone's life!
I remember as a teenager reading a lot of material from the Voice of the Martyrs, it would be interesting to read some stuff again now.

As an aside, I do actually know some Christians who don't take oaths - my family. When we became Australian citizens, in the ceremony there were two groups: those who swore the normal oath, & then we made a "declaration" of allegience to the Queen. I was a child, but I think I would do the same again now if ever in a similar position.
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Paidion,

You might want to rethink this statement:

I think of "sin" as that which is morally wrong. Is sin wrong because God sets the standard? Or does God set the standard because it is wrong?
If the former, then God might set a different standard tomorrow, if he wished. I suggest it is the latter.
Some sins have nothing at all to do with morality but are wrong because they violate a positive command. A well known example is the sin of Uriah when he touched the ark. It was wrong soley because God declared it to be so; Uriah did not harm the ark, he meant to save it from damage, and his action certainly harmed no one.

Is sin wrong because God sets the standard? In a great many cases, yes! All of what we like to call "ceremonial" laws have nothing to do with morality. Today baptism and observervation of the Lord's supper are enjoined. They have notthing to do with morality.

And yes, God has commanded one thing and "set a different standard tomorrow", namely Sabbath observance. Regarding relations with our fellow man, an "eye for an eye" was once the standard, while under Messiah's reign revenge is forbidden.

I believe "moral" actually came to us through the French from the Romans and had the meaning of relations of men to each other rather than to God.
Reason:
A Berean

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Paidion said:
...Rae seems to hold the position...
Hey, I haven't jumped into this conversation at all!!

And I'm not sure what my position is.

:)
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:01 pm

It's quite the complement, Rae - every time a woman says something pretty smart, Paidion thinks it's you. :D
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”