Did David sin only against God?

_Suzana

Various Greek words for "sin"

Post by _Suzana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:20 am

Thankyou for posting this list, Paidion, it's very informative, I'll copy it for reference. I had no idea so many different words were used. (A bit like I had no idea the word 'hell' wasn't always the same in the original).

Just out of curiosity, in Heb 10:17, is the same word (anomia) used twice, or a different one? (and Heb 8:12)
thanks,

By the way, Happy Birthday. :)
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_Suzana

Babies!

Post by _Suzana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:33 am

Congratulations!!! How exciting! Does she live close to you?
Rae, thanks, it is quite exciting. My daughter actually lives 7 hours drive away; she has also asked me to be present for the birth, so I more or less have to be ready to go at a moment's notice. I'm praying for an early morning start to the labour, as I don't fancy negotiating alpine country & hairpin bends in the middle of the night, as well as various wildlife. But I am looking forward to it! :)

p.s. I am glad you and the guys sorted out that misunderstanding! When I first started using emails at work, my boss asked why I was shouting at her, because I had used CAPITALS. :o
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Sue, I reposted the references with the correct Greek word in parentheses.

I had made a mistake in Heb 3:12.

It actually says, "I will be merciful toward their injustices(adikia)and remember their sins (hamartia) no more.

Thank you for the birthday greetings.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_PAULESPINO

Post by _PAULESPINO » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:41 am

Hey Padion,

Nice pic! You look like Moses on TV.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 am

I've heard that before, Paul. I am also told that I look like that jolly man in the red suit of whom people speak during the month of December.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

__id_2533

Post by __id_2533 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Thank you Paidion for your work posting those words, their definitions and their various uses in scripture.

I just want to comment about the the following:
hamartia MISSING THE MARK. This was the original meaning, where one aims at righteousness but fails. But its later meaning included wrongdoing of all kinds.
I minister in a penitentiary and this defintion of "sin" came up during a period of time when some particular guys were housed there and were teaching other inmates. The idea of "sin" is "merely" "missing the mark", as in when a bowman aims at a "mark" or target, and simply misses it!

It is true that this word was used in that sense, but i began to see that it was giving the brothers a false view of what sin really is, and why it is so offensive to God. When I began to study the problem a little more, i discovered that the "mark" that was being missed by the "sinner" was a "mark" along the way, he was traveling, and if he missed a mark, he may then not turn at the proper place, or turn when he should not have, and otherwise get "lost" from his path, that WAS leading him to the destination that he aimed for.

Similarly, there is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof is death.....not life, for which he was aiming. (none of us, hopefully, are aiming at "death' as a destination) The marks along the way, are meant to guide us toward the goal, or to the destination. Now, none of us want to miss those marks, like a highway sign pointing out the way, that will lead us to life.

One of my friends is an expert bowman, and he knows of a guy who has hit an aspirin when thrown up in the air, eight times in a row, with a simple bow and arrow! This is an amazing feat! In my humble opinion. We should not be satisfied with missing the marks along our way...that will get us lost. We should keep our eyes peeled, to see, hear and obey God's way, that will lead to life! May he help us all! In Y'Shua's name.

peace, dmatic
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:49 pm

paidion wrote:
I am also told that I look like that jolly man in the red suit of whom people speak during the month of December.
thank goodness- you said it, now i dont have to!

suzana wrote:
My daughter actually lives 7 hours drive away; she has also asked me to be present for the birth, so I more or less have to be ready to go at a moment's notice.
my grandaughter was born in september- we had a 10 hr drive. we left around 6 pm when i got home from work- got there around 4 am- baby born at 1:30 pm. it's the longest i had ever gone without sleep- my wife and i now know what zombies feel like. it was worth it though!

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:02 pm

TK,
Wow! Does that mean the labour was over 19 hours? I hope for my daughter's sake she doesn't take quite so long, although I hope I can make it in time!
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm

she knew "something" was happening around 5 pm. nothing overly exciting happened until the next morning. she actually had a very easy labor and delivery.

we had to watch out for deer while we were driving. i suppose you'll have to watch for wallabys.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Murf

Post by _Murf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 pm

I only had time to read the first question of the posts so forgive me if someone already covered this point. I think it is important to remember that David was a King. He was appointed by God directly which means he was accountable only to God.

David definately did at least two evil things. My guess is once he repented of his sin to God he looked upon the women of his kingdom much differently than he did prior to his repentance. Same for soldiers.

tim
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”