Can The Atheist Account For Reason?

_james

Post by _james » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:20 am

You do agree that non-rational forces are creating their opposite - rational minds? Correct? And it is not an argument from ignorance, it is an argument from observed facts.

What observed facts?

I am not agreeing on anything, I'm pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.
There is no flaw in my logic. You have yet to show where something can create it's opposite.
No, because we are going from higher to lower. Rational minds creating lower non-rational things. Rationality and intentionality can by nature create. This is observable. You have yet to offer an example that the opposite is possible....

Semantic dingos kidneys, and special pleading.

You stated that non-rational things creating rational things is contradictory because they are creating their opposite, not because we are going from some undefined "higher being" being created by "lower beings". Rationality doesn't create anything, it serves the purpose of being consistent with reality.
But we observe rational minds creating non-rational things. We never observe the opposite.

By all means, show me the observable facts where an intentional being is guiding the process of human development.
There is no other choice...
We observe nature creating rational beings all the time. All humans do is have sex (which unintentional beings do all the time), nature takes it's course and a new life forms, all without the need of intention.

I only have to point out that it is not a contradiction for non-rational processes to create rational beings and the possibility exists.

First, you can assume all you wish, but you have no evidence. When human have sex they produce after their own kind - the rational produces the rational.
And you have yet to show that non-rational forces can or did create rational minds. My position depends on what is observed. Then you have another problem. At some point non-rational matter began to actually "think." So the question is - at that point of "thinking" how was the matter different than it was the moment before - when it was not thinking?

I don't have to, you claimed it was impossible for non-rational processes to create rational minds. I am rebutting your claim that it is not impossible. I am not asserting anything, you are the one asserting and now you're shifting the burden of proof onto me.
But you have offered no evidence. You have simply asserted. And tell me what was the difference in the matter the moment after that non-thinking matter began to think? And if you have no idea, how can you possibly assume that that answer is open to a naturalistic explaination?
Again, see post seven and my Tiger example. Irrational reactions can and would confer advantage

You have to point out that it is irrational to be afraid of the colour orange. We don't know how this fear manifested itself, we have no information at all regarding this persons thought-processes, only what you say.
The point remains. Let's say that the man fears that he will turn orange if orange touches him.
That's also assuming that "reactions" are inheritable. Not all behaviours are genetic, otherwise squirrels would not cross the road anymore.
But all behaviors are the product of evolution. Unless you believe that there is something outside of the material process...
So a near universal false belief in a god or gods confered advantage? This irrational belief had survival advantage?

Beliefs aren't inheritable as genetic traits.
So are these beliefs part of the evolutionary process or not? Is there something else?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

_james

Post by _james » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Asimov, since I have only limited use of a computer I'm going to wrap up this debate here. You may have the last word. But I will leave you all with a few thoughts.

1. To borrow from Doug Wilson. The Christian and the atheist both live in the same kind of house. We both agree that the floor is straight (rational) and that the walls are plumb (logical). But we have quite different foundations (pre-conditions). My foundation is a rational, logical Creator. The atheist's foundation is jello, non-rational matter in motion.

2. The atheist can never have certain knowledge. They can not over come Hume's problem of induction. The Christian can depend on the uniformity of nature since nature is grounded in the promises and character of God. He upholds all things by the power of His word. The atheist can only assume that the laws of nature in the far past acted as they did in the recent observed past. Or that they will act that way tomorrow.

3. The atheist's theory of knowledge must self-refute. If he says that all knowledge comes only through sense experience, we would have to ask - is that belief known by sense experience? Well no - it is therefore self-refuting...

See ya all... Jim
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:07 pm

You can find the famous (infamous) Bahnsen's debate with Gordon Stein on the subject here.... I'm still listening to it.

http://veritasdomain.wordpress.com/2006 ... at-debate/
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 am

james wrote: 1. To borrow from Doug Wilson. The Christian and the atheist both live in the same kind of house. We both agree that the floor is straight (rational) and that the walls are plumb (logical). But we have quite different foundations (pre-conditions). My foundation is a rational, logical Creator. The atheist's foundation is jello, non-rational matter in motion.
Straw-man.
2. The atheist can never have certain knowledge. They can not over come Hume's problem of induction. The Christian can depend on the uniformity of nature since nature is grounded in the promises and character of God. He upholds all things by the power of His word. The atheist can only assume that the laws of nature in the far past acted as they did in the recent observed past. Or that they will act that way tomorrow.
Unless you're wrong and God is actually Loki.
3. The atheist's theory of knowledge must self-refute. If he says that all knowledge comes only through sense experience, we would have to ask - is that belief known by sense experience? Well no - it is therefore self-refuting...
Straw-man.
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:42 pm

james wrote:

1. To borrow from Doug Wilson. The Christian and the atheist both live in the same kind of house. We both agree that the floor is straight (rational) and that the walls are plumb (logical). But we have quite different foundations (pre-conditions). My foundation is a rational, logical Creator. The atheist's foundation is jello, non-rational matter in motion.
Hi Asimov,

Would you mind explaining why these are straw man arguments?

How would an atheist (assuming that they are naturalists) account for logic? In a naturalistic world, how can there be any such thing as universal abstract concepts such as logic? Certainly you think they exist (you use logic all the time, for instance your appeal to the straw man fallacy in your last post)?

Also, if I remember correctly you are an Objectivist, so I guess you believe that "reason is man's only means of aquiring knowledge".

Well, how would you justify reason in an atheist worldview? If you say "it just exists", (which you of course may not say), then I would say that Christianity "just is" true, which would be equally as arbitrary.

Regarding the second quote, It is in fact true, that if an atheist holds that "knowledge comes only through sense experience" that he would be holding to a self refuting belief. Perhaps it's a strawman because it's not what you believe?

Thanks,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:58 am

Derek wrote:
james wrote:

Hi Derek,

This is a strawman because it states the atheists foundation is jello, non-rational matter in motion.

Of course, this is not the foundation that any atheists I know have. It only seeks to undermine what I as an atheist believe in order to make the theist look better.

One could ask "what determines this "Creator" to be logical?"
Because there is no atheist theory of knowledge. There are theories of knowledge that do not include a God and are therefore atheistic, but there is no "unified" theory of knowledge. Empiricism is one idea, Rationalism is another, etc.

One only need to look up epistemology to read about the many theories of knowledge that exist. Appealing to God again doesn't answer any questions.
How would an atheist (assuming that they are naturalists) account for logic?
Why do we have to account for logic?
In a naturalistic world, how can there be any such thing as universal abstract concepts such as logic?
Why does naturalism preclude the existence of concepts?
Well, how would you justify reason in an atheist worldview? If you say "it just exists", (which you of course may not say), then I would say that Christianity "just is" true, which would be equally as arbitrary.
Reason is the tool we have to identify with reality. In it's simplist form, we could call it non-contradictory identification.

You've created a false analogy. Stating that Christianity is true because it is true is circular and therefore invalid. Stating that Reason "just exists" would be a vague concept and an invalid explanation.

I guess my answer is that Reason exists because problem-solving became advantageous to our survival.
Regarding the second quote, It is in fact true, that if an atheist holds that "knowledge comes only through sense experience" that he would be holding to a self refuting belief. Perhaps it's a strawman because it's not what you believe?
It's a strawman because it assumes all atheists think and believe the same thing. It would be like me saying that all theists believe Muhammed was really the prophet of God.

While some atheists may think that all knowledge comes only through empiricism, it is not necessarily what all atheists think.

It's not self-refuting that the statement "all knowledge comes only through sense experience" comes from sense experience. How else would we know that all knowledge comes from sense experience? It's perfectly consistent within the realm of empiricism to say that empirical observation allows us to state with confidence that the only known method of obtaining knowledge is through our senses, because it is how we interact and gain information about reality.

It would only be self-refuting if a contradiction occured in the reasoning. No contradiction apparently occurs.
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:04 pm

This is a strawman because it states the atheists foundation is jello, non-rational matter in motion.

Of course, this is not the foundation that any atheists I know have. It only seeks to undermine what I as an atheist believe in order to make the theist look better.
An atheistic worldview does not provide the foundation for reason to take place. By that I don't mean a explanation for the ability to reason, but rather a foundation by which to reason in the first place. Like the laws of logic.
One could ask "what determines this "Creator" to be logical?"
If the God of the bible exists, it could be no other way. If somone were to ask this question, I would ask how it is, according to their worldview, that logic even exists.
Because there is no atheist theory of knowledge. There are theories of knowledge that do not include a God and are therefore atheistic, but there is no "unified" theory of knowledge. Empiricism is one idea, Rationalism is another, etc.

One only need to look up epistemology to read about the many theories of knowledge that exist. Appealing to God again doesn't answer any questions.
Generally, when these guys say "atheist", they mean "all possible non-theistic theories". Of course in this example, he is only speaking of empiricism, though I am not sure how the argument wouldn't apply to rationalism as well.

And actually, appealling to God does answer the questions. It may not be the answer that you want, but they are answers.
Why do we have to account for logic?
Because to not account for it is to be arbitrary. The Christian worldview does account for logic. Logic reflects the thinking of God and the way He has created the universe. For you to continue to use them, is to borrow from my worldview, in order to argue against it.
Reason is the tool we have to identify with reality. In it's simplist form, we could call it non-contradictory identification.
In (any) atheistic worldview, where does the law of non-contradiction come from? How is it that the laws of logic even exist in a materialistic universe (assuming you are a materialist)?
Why does naturalism preclude the existence of concepts?
Because they exist apart from nature. They exist whether or not the physical world exists. It doesn't preclude the existence of concepts, it just can't make sense of their existence.
I guess my answer is that Reason exists because problem-solving became advantageous to our survival.
Here you have rationality springing forth from it's direct opposite? How is that? While it may not be logically contradictory, (at least not in a way obvious to me), it seems unlikely that the exact opposite of a quality would arise from the quality itself. When does this happen in nature?

I would also ask how could the existence of reason become advantageous when reason didn't exist in the first place? How did...nature... (?) figure out that some non-existent thing would be advantageous for the survival of our species? Also, I am not sure that problem solving and rationality are synonymous. Dogs can solve problems, and so can a computer, but I don't think they are generally considered to be rational. Perhaps they are on their way?

Also, I didn't exactly mean "how do you account for our ability to reason".

Let me try to put it forth more clearly (something I need to work on!).

The question that is logically prior to "how do you account for reason", is "how do you account for logic" (which makes "non-contradictory identification" possible). Or to put it the way I did at the top of the post, What is the foundation for the principles by which we reason? (As opposed to an explanation for our ability to reason).
It's not self-refuting that the statement "all knowledge comes only through sense experience" comes from sense experience. How else would we know that all knowledge comes from sense experience? It's perfectly consistent within the realm of empiricism to say that empirical observation allows us to state with confidence that the only known method of obtaining knowledge is through our senses, because it is how we interact and gain information about reality.
It's an infinite regress. You can't ever know that the "only known method of obtaining knowledge is through our senses". Each time you give the answer the problem just pops back up (i.e. how do you know that? by my senses...Well how do you know that?...by my senses, etc.) It may not be contradictory, but it doesn't answer anything.

It also brings up the problem of induction. You have to presuppose, without grounds, the uniformity of nature, which makes gaining knowledge by observation possible. In any atheistic worldview, the uniformity of nature cannot make sense.

In the Christian worldview, we believe that God upholds all things by the word of His power, keeping nature uniform. The athiest has to beg the question by saying, "it will be that way in the future because it's always been that way in the past". Therefore to know anything, they have to borrow Christian capital to justifiy knowing anything! They have to assume our worldview.

The same goes for the laws of logic (the necessary precondition for reasoning). You have to assume the Christian worldview to argue against the Christian worldview.

Thanks for the dialogue, man. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Later,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:42 am

Derek wrote: An atheistic worldview does not provide the foundation for reason to take place. By that I don't mean a explanation for the ability to reason, but rather a foundation by which to reason in the first place. Like the laws of logic.
Why not?
If the God of the bible exists, it could be no other way.
Why's that?
Generally, when these guys say "atheist", they mean "all possible non-theistic theories". Of course in this example, he is only speaking of empiricism, though I am not sure how the argument wouldn't apply to rationalism as well.
I don't see how the argument is valid, let alone applicable.
And actually, appealling to God does answer the questions. It may not be the answer that you want, but they are answers.
How does it answer any question?
Because to not account for it is to be arbitrary. The Christian worldview does account for logic. Logic reflects the thinking of God and the way He has created the universe. For you to continue to use them, is to borrow from my worldview, in order to argue against it.
No it isn't. If logic is necessary, it requires no accountability. I just asked you to account for God, and you said "It could be no other way". Yet if I say that about logic, you accuse me of being arbitrary.

Special pleading, you're being inconsistent.

Your idea of logic is that it is a reflection of the God's thought processes (which are dependent upon what?), and then you say I have to use your concept of what logic is in order to argue against it? Why would that be true?
In (any) atheistic worldview, where does the law of non-contradiction come from? How is it that the laws of logic even exist in a materialistic universe (assuming you are a materialist)?
We conceived of the LNC. It's a law that is dependent upon language. Why can abstracts not exist in a materialistic universe?
Because they exist apart from nature. They exist whether or not the physical world exists. It doesn't preclude the existence of concepts, it just can't make sense of their existence.
Minds are a part of nature, so no they don't exist apart from nature, they are inclusive of nature. They help us to understand our world using language.
Here you have rationality springing forth from it's direct opposite?
What opposite?
How is that? While it may not be logically contradictory, (at least not in a way obvious to me), it seems unlikely that the exact opposite of a quality would arise from the quality itself. When does this happen in nature?
That's like asking where in nature snowflakes arise from non-snowflakes. Or babies arise from non-babies. Zygotes arise from non-zygotes.
I would also ask how could the existence of reason become advantageous when reason didn't exist in the first place?
Again, that's like asking how flying could become advantageous if it didn't exist in the first place. Or how the ability to digest nylon became advantageous when the ability to digest nylon didn't exist in the first place.

The ability to problem solve (that is, see a dilemma and use ones environment to create new solutions outside of ones instinctual behaviours), arose from the need to problem solve and the opportunities presenting itself. We see this occurring in other mammals with rudimentary (from our standards) problem solving skills. Garbage cans didn't exist prior to their creation, yet Raccoons seemed to have developed the ability to open them and spill garbage all over my lawn without much trouble.
How did...nature... (?) figure out that some non-existent thing would be advantageous for the survival of our species? Also, I am not sure that problem solving and rationality are synonymous. Dogs can solve problems, and so can a computer, but I don't think they are generally considered to be rational. Perhaps they are on their way?
Yes, you're right. Our abilities have become specialized for our existence. It's what separates us from other animals. Just like flying has become a specialty of many birds, other beings can do so on a basic level but not as well as most birds.

Nature didn't figure it out, it happened because it was advantageous to the survival of proto-humans to be able to problem solve better and better. We are generally not the strongest or fastest beings on earth, but we can use our reasoning to beat stronger and faster beings.
The question that is logically prior to "how do you account for reason", is "how do you account for logic" (which makes "non-contradictory identification" possible). Or to put it the way I did at the top of the post, What is the foundation for the principles by which we reason? (As opposed to an explanation for our ability to reason).
No. Those are not necessary questions. They are completely redundant, like asking "how do you account for yellowness". The foundation of reason is not logic. The foundation of reason is reality, the tool of reason is logic, which we created to identify with reality.

Logic is not absolute, my friend. Thinking that knowledge is static, that logic itself cannot be reshaped or made better, is to be sticking oneself right in the dark ages. Language is a dynamic process, as is knowledge.
It's an infinite regress. You can't ever know that the "only known method of obtaining knowledge is through our senses". Each time you give the answer the problem just pops back up (i.e. how do you know that? by my senses...Well how do you know that?...by my senses, etc.) It may not be contradictory, but it doesn't answer anything.
It's not an infinite regress. Regress pushes the question back further and further without reaching a foundation. Yes, it's circular, but it's the best explanation.

Saying "God", doesn't answer any more questions than my answer.
It also brings up the problem of induction. You have to presuppose, without grounds, the uniformity of nature, which makes gaining knowledge by observation possible. In any atheistic worldview, the uniformity of nature cannot make sense.
Yea...and where did I say that knowledge was static or not probabilistic? You're the one who's conforming an absolutist view of things. You may be "certain" of your knowledge, but reality begs to differ. The uniformity of nature cannot be depended upon, only inferred, until there is reason to think otherwise.
In the Christian worldview, we believe that God upholds all things by the word of His power, keeping nature uniform.
Assuming that God is static, and that he does not arbitrarily change nature. Your argument is that God wouldn't change things because you trust he wouldn't. Big deal. You suffer from the same problem as everyone else. Not to mention that you might actually be wrong and believe in the wrong God; that Loki is actually the true God and he is completely arbitrary.

Your argument boils down to an emotional appeal.
The athiest has to beg the question by saying, "it will be that way in the future because it's always been that way in the past". Therefore to know anything, they have to borrow Christian capital to justifiy knowing anything! They have to assume our worldview.
Strawman, I have no obligation to say anything about that. Why would I have to appeal to God to know anything? I don't have to appeal to God to know that 2+2=4.
Thanks for the dialogue, man. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Later,
Likewise.
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:44 am

If you want to attempt to cut away at the discussion so we don't have book-like replies, that would be more conducive to discussion. If you feel like I am not answering a specific question to your satisfaction, then say so. But if there are things that can be addressed in a "lumped" fashion, then do so, so we're not repeating ourselves.

Agree?
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:30 pm

Derek wrote:
An atheistic worldview does not provide the foundation for reason to take place. By that I don't mean a explanation for the ability to reason, but rather a foundation by which to reason in the first place. Like the laws of logic.
Why not?
Well, if it does, then give an account for the laws of logic. The last time I asked you to, you just said you didn't have to.
Quote:
If the God of the bible exists, it could be no other way.

Why's that?
I thought you were asking how we knew that He Himself was logical, as opposed to His existence being logical. If you mean He Himself, I would still say it could be no other way, because He is perfect. The only way He could be illogical is to lie, which He cannot do, being perfectly holy.
No it isn't. If logic is necessary, it requires no accountability. I just asked you to account for God, and you said "It could be no other way". Yet if I say that about logic, you accuse me of being arbitrary.
Accodording to my worldview, God is necessary, so I don't have to give any account for His existence then? I don't have to explain how it is that I know He exists? Cool. I guess we can just stop discussing it then, if that's how we're going to reason!

You didn't ask me to "account for God", you asked "what determines this 'Creator' to be logical".
Your idea of logic is that it is a reflection of the God's thought processes (which are dependent upon what?), and then you say I have to use your concept of what logic is in order to argue against it? Why would that be true?
That's not "my idea of logic" it's my account for existence of the laws of logic. In an atheist world there can be no laws of logic. In fact there can be nothing law-like at all, becasue you have to assume the principle of induction, which you cannot account for.
Quote:

We conceived of the LNC. It's a law that is dependent upon language. Why can abstracts not exist in a materialistic universe?
We conceived of it? So before humans "concieved" this law, it didn't exist? Stars could be both alive and dead at the same time? Dinosaurs could exist and not exist at the same time before language? Somehow I don't think so.

Quote:

Minds are a part of nature, so no they don't exist apart from nature, they are inclusive of nature. They help us to understand our world using language.
The laws of logic exist in our minds? Before the advent of minds there was no laws of logic? See above answer.
Quote:

Here you have rationality springing forth from it's direct opposite?

What opposite?
Non-rationality.
Quote:
How is that? While it may not be logically contradictory, (at least not in a way obvious to me), it seems unlikely that the exact opposite of a quality would arise from the quality itself. When does this happen in nature?

That's like asking where in nature snowflakes arise from non-snowflakes. Or babies arise from non-babies. Zygotes arise from non-zygotes.
It's all basically a version of "something came from nothing". Matter comes from non-matter, life from non-life, intelligence from non-intelligence. All things an athiest is forced to believe.

Quote:

No. Those are not necessary questions. They are completely redundant, like asking "how do you account for yellowness". The foundation of reason is not logic. The foundation of reason is reality, the tool of reason is logic, which we created to identify with reality.
They are necessary if you don't want to be arbitrary. How can you reason without logic?

It seems that you are saying that logic is conventional. So before we "created them" 2+2 could equal 6 then?
It's not an infinite regress. Regress pushes the question back further and further without reaching a foundation. Yes, it's circular, but it's the best explanation.

Saying "God", doesn't answer any more questions than my answer.
I didn't say "God". I said that within my worldview, knowledge is possible, because we can assume the uniformity of nature. God upholds all things by the word of His power.
Quote:
In the Christian worldview, we believe that God upholds all things by the word of His power, keeping nature uniform.

Assuming that God is static, and that he does not arbitrarily change nature. Your argument is that God wouldn't change things because you trust he wouldn't. Big deal. You suffer from the same problem as everyone else. Not to mention that you might actually be wrong and believe in the wrong God; that Loki is actually the true God and he is completely arbitrary.

Your argument boils down to an emotional appeal.

I know that God will not arbrtrarily change nature, because He has revealed to me, through His word, that He is a God of order. He cannot lie, so I have plenty of reason to trust that what He says is true.

Loki isn't the true God. If you want to try to prove that he is, (thereby defeating your own worldview), then we can talk about that.

Quote:
The athiest has to beg the question by saying, "it will be that way in the future because it's always been that way in the past". Therefore to know anything, they have to borrow Christian capital to justifiy knowing anything! They have to assume our worldview.

Strawman, I have no obligation to say anything about that. Why would I have to appeal to God to know anything? I don't have to appeal to God to know that 2+2=4.

It should be pointed out that I am not saying that you are incapable of knowing that 2+2=4; I am saying that you cannot account for the fact that you are able to. Not without begging the question given in the quote above.

If you want to attempt to cut away at the discussion so we don't have book-like replies, that would be more conducive to discussion. If you feel like I am not answering a specific question to your satisfaction, then say so. But if there are things that can be addressed in a "lumped" fashion, then do so, so we're not repeating ourselves.

Agree?
Sure, can you give an account for the laws of logic? That would be a good starting point.

Whew! My hand hurts! :D

Later,
Reason:
Derek

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”