Suggestions for my sliding friend

__id_1299

Post by __id_1299 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:49 am

One author that has really helped me is Gary Habermas. While he is a Christian, his argument for the Resurrection is based upon only using facts that the vast majority of published critical scholars, both secular and Christian, agree upon. He has several books and has a website with a number of articles, audio and video.

http://www.garyhabermas.com
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:23 am

Seth, I just read Anthony Flew's book "There is a God." Nearly every argument against Christianity used by modern skeptics has been influenced by Anthony Flew. In his new book, he attacks the new breed of fundamentalist skeptics, whose works your friend is probably reading. Anthony Flew, however, is not light reading. There were times when I'd have to re-read a sentence or paragraph about five times to wrap my mind around something he said.

Although Flew isn't a Christian, his book actually contains an argument for the resurrection and defends the Bible, if you can imagine that. I don't think there's a person alive who can write with the blunt eloquence of Anthony Flew. The man's a mental giant, and his words have serious bite to them. His critique of Richard Dawkins had a particular sting to it. I can imagine that Flew is quite an annoyance to the new breed of atheists since he invented the arguments they are using.
Reason:

_Seth

Post by _Seth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 am

JC,

Thanks for the book rec...I might have to pick that one up. I tend to read about a book a week, though a heavy read typically gets stationed on my nightstand and takes 1-2 years to wade through. I think "The Language and Imagery of the Bible" has been there for almost exactly a year...

-Seth
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Seth,

I know of no plausible alternative explanation of:

* The Historical Jesus of the Synoptic Gospels

* The Resurrection of this Jesus

* The Spread of Christianity

* The Longing of Immortality and Hidden Knowledge of every society known

Since you know of his doubts concerning the historic roots of Christianity, you may want to check out Greg Boyd and Paul Eddy's new works Lord or Legend?: Wrestling with the Jesus Dilemma and The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition. Lord or Legend? is the short and more popular version. The Jesus Legend is the more advanced, scholarly academic version and of it, Boyd humbly says that both he and Eddy "have produced the strongest and most comprehensive scholarly refutation of the Legendary Jesus hypothesis and defense of the historical Jesus available today." You may want to check these out, and at least refer your friend's wife to them. Perhaps it would end up in the hands of your friend that way. Just yesterday I listened to about an hour and a half long interview with Boyd and Eddy, and they opened up the last 20 minutes or so for questions. By the way the handled their questions, I trust their works to be very satisfactory. That interview can be listened to here
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”