Did God Create the World as His Abode?

jwalsh

Did God Create the World as His Abode?

Post by jwalsh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:28 pm

NT Wright makes some interesting theological claims in this video that I haven’t heard or considered before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bKa92eLkQM

My question is specifically about Wright's claim that heaven and earth were created to be God's abode.

My knee-jerk reaction was to say there's no biblical support for this doctrine...but after considering it a bit more, it does seem to be consistent with my view (and I believe Steve's eschatological view) that God will create a new heaven and earth and restore his original creative intent - a world in which He will eternally dwell. Does this imply that God's purpose in Creation was to make a dwelling place for himself? Are there any other passages that more directly support this view of Creation?

I would encourage you to skip to the 6:18 mark of this video and watch the following 5 minutes, but here’s the thrust of Wright's point if you don't want to spend the time:

Around the 8:20 mark, Wright says “When the good Creator God made the world, he made heaven and earth as the space in which he Himself was going to dwell….”

And then at 10:30 he says “This world was made to be God’s abode, God’s home, God’s dwelling. He shared it with us and He now wants to rescue it and redeem it.”
Last edited by jwalsh on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Re: Did God Create the World as His Abode?

Post by steve » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi jwalsh,

I haven't had the time to listen to the youtube videos, but I think N.T. Wright and I probably see things very similarly on this matter (it's amazing the influence I've had on him!).

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi Steve,
it's amazing the influence I've had on him
Do you mean that NT wright was influential to you or you were influential to NT Wright?

Sorry for asking this question but I'm not clear about this.

Thanks

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 am

I was just joking. He does not know I exist. In fact, neither of us influenced the other. My views were formed, and found in my teachings, before I knew of N.T. Wright, but I keep finding surprising areas of agreement between his teaching and mine on many things.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:17 pm

I will not be surprised if you influenced some of influential teachers, because I can see from your teachings that the wisdom of the Holy Spirit is overflowing in you.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”