10 reason why should NOT be a Trinitarian

21centpilgrim

10 reason why should NOT be a Trinitarian

Post by 21centpilgrim » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YHjvkTbJuI

7 minute video- great content and points that should be engaged no matter where you are at on the topic
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

Singalphile

Re: 10 reason why should NOT be a Trinitarian

Post by Singalphile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:14 am

Hello, all.

I'm listening now. Off the top of my head:

1. Doesn't seem like an argument against trinitarianism. More an atonement argument.
2. Uni/bi/Tri-nitarians all view Jesus as fully human - a resurrected human being.
3. That's closer to a relevant argument, but I don't think it's fairly dealing with the hypostatic union part of bi/tri-nitarianism.
4. Same as #3.
5. I'm sure that there are many theories among unitarians, some of which are "confusing". I don't consider that an argument.
6. That's a good reason not to divide over uni/bi/tri-nitarianism (and other views), but it's not an argument against trinitarianism.
7. That's a decent point. At least it's a decent argument that God doesn't consider trinitarianism vital to know.
8. Same as #7. Doesn't mean trinitarianism is incorrect, though.
9. For those who believe that in the beginning Jesus was God, I think it's common to understand that He gave up His divine attributes in His incarnation. He wasn't pretending not to be omniscient or omnipresent.
10. That's a reasonable point.

A couple reasonable points. Of course, it would be all to easy to come up with a couple of reasonable points in favor of either binitarianism or trinitarianism.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

Re: 10 reason why should NOT be a Trinitarian

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:12 pm

I couldn't grasp what was being said in the video since the accompanying "music" sent me up a wall.

I am a unitarian in the sense that I believe (as Jesus said in addressing the Father) that the Father is "the only true God."

However Jesus is also "God" in the sense that He is the only-begotten Son of God, begotten as the first of the Father's acts, "before all ages" as the early Christians affirmed. The Father did not "beget" or "generate" any other Son.

There are only two Greek manuscripts of John 1:18 that date prior to 300 A.D. Both of them refer to the Son as "the only-begotten God."

Papyrus 66, dated about the middle of the second century (around 150 A.D.) clearly has “ὁ μονογενης θεος” (The only-begotten God).

Papyrus 75, dated in the late second century (perhaps around 180 A.D.) has “ὁ μονογενης θεος”. Thus this manuscript also has “the only-begotten God”.

Thus the translation of the verse would be:
No one has seen God at any time; the only-begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has made Him known. (John 1:18)

So Jesus is "God" in the sense of having been begotten or generated by God. There is no other "begotten God" except the Son of God.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Trinity”