A triad does not mean a Trinity

21centpilgrim

A triad does not mean a Trinity

Post by 21centpilgrim » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:19 pm

1 Tim 5 :21 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of the elect angels I charge you to keep these rules without prejudging, doing nothing from partiality.

Interesting that here we have these 3 who's presence warrants solemn responsibility, and these 3 are present before the living saints and act in unity- it deserves much thought and consideration how these three separate entities seem to have one affect and are deserving the same responsibility.

Too bad that it says 'elect angles' instead of the 'holy spirit' though.

I bring this to your attention because it clearly shows that the mentioning of a group of three- a triad- does not equate to a Trinity
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

BrotherAlan

Re: A triad does not mean a Trinity

Post by BrotherAlan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 pm

21centpilgrim,
A few things.

First, the fact that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are mentioned together in certain passages of the Scriptures is not the only, or even primary, reason for claiming that the Scriptures reveal that God is a Trinity of Persons (though, Matthew 28:19 is rather exceptional in that it says these three have the same NAME, indicating a unity of nature). The main reason why I, in my previous post, mentioned these Scriptures which list all three together was to respond to your previous post which stated that the Holy Spirit is not mentioned with the Father and the Son in greetings (and you were expecting that to be the case if God is a Trinity of Persons); thus, my last post was not intending to claim that the mere listing of the three together was a revelation of the Trinity, but was primarily simply intending to point out that, in fact, there are greetings which include all three.

However, some of the refs the Scriptures have to the Father, Son, and Spirit together DO give/imply Divine attributes to all three, either by saying the three share the same Name, or that the three have Divine powers. And, in many other Scriptures, we see that all three have Divine attributes. Whereas, in 1 Tim. 5:21 in which the Angels are mentioned with the Father and the Son, the Angels are not given credit for having Divine powers (as the Holy Spirit is given credit to have in many Scriptures).

In Christ,
BrotherAlan
"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and always, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Brother Alan, you wrote:Matthew 28:19 is rather exceptional in that it says these three have the same NAME, indicating a unity of nature.
Oneness believers (those who believe that God is a single Individual who expresses Himself in three modes—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) also use the fact that there is one name and therefore only one divine Person. Other Christians call these people "Modalists".

Don't you find it rather odd that this passage has Jesus commanding his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, when in fact all records of them baptizing as stated in the book of Acts, indicate that they baptized in the name of Jesus only?

Actually Matthew 28:19 is not found in any extant Greek manuscripts that have been dated prior to A.D. 300. The words "baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, may have been added by later Trinitarians.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

21centpilgrim

Post by 21centpilgrim » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 am

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Another instance of where the Spirit is missing and the angels are present instead. It is like Jesus doesn't realize that the holy Spirit is the third person in the God head.

This is a pattern in the ministry of Jesus. He clearly says that eternal life is in knowing the Father- the only true God and also in knowing Jesus and then that is it. No third person of the supposed godhead important enough to know as well
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

Return to “The Trinity”