Trinities podcast

darinhouston

Trinities podcast

Post by darinhouston » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:12 pm

I just found a good resource. Very sober-minded and interesting podcast. Short, digestible episodes. Must start with episode 1 and listen in order.

https://trinities.org/blog/podcasts/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tri ... d690304581

Dale Tuggy
Dale Tuggy (PhD Brown 2000) was Professor of Philosophy at the State University of New York at Fredonia from 2000-2018. He now works outside of academia in Middle Tennessee but continues to learn and podcast.

About Dale

I have taught since 2000 in the Department of Philosophy at the State University of New York at Fredonia. In addition to podcasting, I enjoy teaching World Religions, Philosophy of Religion courses, the history of Philosophy, Eastern philosophies and religions, and Introduction to Philosophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeker

Re: Trinities podcast

Post by Seeker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Listened to "The Apostle Paul a Unitarian." Imo, a very sober and clarifying talk. I'd already been leaning increasingly, the more I notice the distinctions made between God and Jesus in the Bible, to the view that only the father is God.

Plan to one day to reveal my own leanings in person to a Christian friend, hoping it doesn't lead to my eventual dismissal from my church! So far, 100% of Christians I've met, whose view on the subject is known to me, are Trinitarians. My favorite class leader at my church recently stated in passing that the trinity is mandatory view of a true Christian.

Seballius

Post by Seballius » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Tuggy is a Unitarian. He and his group teach that Jesus is little more than a man. His podcast is a recruitment set up.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 am

Seballius wrote:Tuggy is a Unitarian. He and his group teach that Jesus is little more than a man. His podcast is a recruitment set up.

That is a pretty dismissive reaction for this forum.

Yes, he is a Unitarian — that is sort of the point of the podcast. But, there are many flavors of Unitarians. I haven’t heard them all yet, but he seems pretty well informed and even handed. I don’t know why you could call it a recruitment set up, per se. Of course, he is putting his position in the most favorable light to inform and I guess you could say persuade, but he’s a teacher and teaches like one. Much like Steve in that he provides both sides and explains them well, good and bad points. I don’t think he’s unfairly dogmatic or manipulative or anything like so many.

He debated Michael Brown a while back. I haven’t heard it yet — I want to better understand where he’s coming from. I’ve heard Brown debate Unitarians along with James White a while back. I just can’t listen to White anymore (speaking of manipulative and abusing recruitment setups).

Brown is at least a “nice” guy, and had a call-in segment of his Firing Line show dedicated to biblical unitarian callers. He was nice to them but made no bones about having the on not just to give them a forum to air their views but to try and make them look stupid and convince folks they were wrong. He went out of his way to be nice to them, but treated them pretty poorly. Several times when they were making good points, he would just say he’s not a theologian, more of an exegete, and that James White could answer that sort of point. Other times, a caller would point out that his “rifle shot” scripture citations were out of context and would try to bring one into context and Brown shut him down and disconnected him and said if callers wouldn’t accept what was plain in front of his face, he needed to move on. That was very disappointing.

I haven’t heard the Tuggy debate yet, but I’m not sure it will be very good. Tuggy’s a philosopher — if Brown refused to engage philosophical conclusions from a given position, then Tuggy would have had one hand tied behind his back. I have heard that Tuggy inadvertently admitted Jesus’ pre-existence. I just finished listening to his show on Tertullian (widely considered the first to use the term Trinity and considered a Trinitarian). He’s not a Unitarian, per se, but sounds pretty Arian from the parts he reviewed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seeker

Post by Seeker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 am

Dr Tuggy did very well vs Dr Michael Brown. Out the gate, I think Tuggy gave deference to the older man, at first Tuggy let Brown go on rabbit trails. By the middle, both men were tracking and in form. And I though by the end Tuggy was in his element, making clear his points for which I thought Browns answers were indirect and not relevant to whether Jesus is God or not.

Both very knowledgeable. Tuggy won because he stayed on point and in my opinion made a far stronger scriptural case for Unitarianism than brown make for trinitarianism. See the debate for specifics.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm

I've listened to 6 or so random episodes, not all related closely to trinitarianism. It's often interesting and informative.

But is there some episode where he simply describes his view of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit - how they're the same and how they're different? Frankly, I can't really tell what he's saying.

There hasn't been anything that has convinced me of anything in particular, but it's interesting.

Thanks.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Dale Tuggy and Chris Date debated the divinity of Jesus a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSve-Aln16Y

I didn't find it very informative, but it was long, and I may have been inattentive during some parts (especially the Q&A). Chris Date seemed to be going for some more obscure arguments. Interesting, but he could have just stuck with stronger points, I thought. Dale Tuggy ... I must admit that I have a very difficult time following him. I've listened to hours of him now, and I don't know what his view actually is. Perhaps he's just over my head.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Tuggy used to work not far from me. I've interacted with him a couple of times.

He's a smart guy... and a very thorough thinker

I don't find him persuasive on the topic of the trinity

He quickly dismisses arguments that I consider very strong. And I'm sure he'd feel the same about me.

Seballius

Post by Seballius » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:35 pm

I agree with you Matt (about Tuggy not being persuasive). He (Tuggy) is a big fan of Anthony Buzzard and Buzzard was always a linguist (mostly modern languages) and not a true theologian.

When you talked with Tuggy how would the talks go? Would he listen to you or just try to make his own points?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:27 pm

I only was in the same room with him in person

I talked to him through facebook. I don't want to say anything bad about the guy. I don't think he's a bad guy at all.

I will say that I thought his youtube presentations on world religions were very well done.

Return to “The Trinity”