Giving "first" to God.

Sean

Giving "first" to God.

Post by Sean » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:47 am

Advocates of tithing speak of giving first to God. Can anyone explain what this means?
For those who believe we should give first to God but not necessarily tithe, can you explain how you do this?

My wife was talking to a friend about tithing and they were adamant that you are to give first to God. I've head this before. It was said that you sit down and take your total income before any taxes or other deductions and subtract 10%. This is your tithe. Anything over that is an offering.

I still don't get it. If I get paid from my employer and cash the check. How do I give to God first? Does it mean to count off the amount I'm "suppose" to give from the top of the stack of money from my paycheck? ;) Or does it mean I pay the amount I've determined ahead of time (the 10% of my gross income divided by the number of paychecks I get in a year) without concern for other bills/debts I need to pay? Or would I have to turn over everything I make (my entire paycheck) every payday until I've paid the full tithe. That way I can say I paid God first.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I'm looking for likely answers that would be given by those who believe in tithing and I'm looking for what people who give freely do, if they indeed believe we should give to God first. And where this is found in scripture.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Sean

Re: Giving "first" to God.

Post by Sean » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 am

Hey, I found all my answers. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwfMMN71xUw
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

TK

Re: Giving "first" to God.

Post by TK » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 am

yep-- that video about sums it up. pretty funny, too.

TK

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”