Politicians and Adultery (Mark Sanford)

Singalphile

Politicians and Adultery (Mark Sanford)

Post by Singalphile » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:58 am

Here's an article I read this morning that made me sad and a bit angry:

AP - SC's ex-Gov. Sanford clears hurdle in comeback bid

Summary: "Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford on Tuesday cleared another hurdle in his bid for political redemption, defeating a former Charleston County council member to win the GOP nomination for the U.S. House seat he held for three terms. ... [His] political career was derailed four years ago when, as sitting governor, he disappeared from the state only to return to acknowledge an extramarital affair with an Argentine woman. ... That woman, Maria Belen Chapur, and Sanford are now engaged. She appeared at Sanford's side during his victory speech .... He later called her his soul mate and the two were engaged last year. ... After the revelation of the affair, Sanford's wife Jenny divorced him and wrote a book.
Before leaving office as governor, Mark Sanford avoided impeachment but was censured by the Legislature over state travel expenses he used for the affair. He also had to pay more than $70,000 in ethics fines - still the largest in state history - after Associated Press investigations raised questions about his use of state, private and commercial aircraft. ... Sanford acknowledged he 'failed very publically' but said he had done a lot of soul searching since then. He added, 'Not since Jesus Christ was here has there been a perfect man or woman.'"

Sanford (~53 years old) and his ex-wife have 4 sons.

We don't necessarily hire a politician for his morals. Maybe you would say it's not really relevant to the job? After all, would you hire an employee or service person (plumber, accountant, etc.) who behaved this way? What facts might make it possible that you could vote for/hire a guy like this? What do you think of his invoking thanking God and invoking the name of Jesus in his speeches? Assuming this guys' political acts (as a Republican) would be better for the country than his opponent (a Democrat), would you hold your nose and vote for him? Why or why not?

I don't live in South Carolina, nor do I know everything about the situation, of course, but I will be sad if he makes it to the U.S. House of Reps.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Singalphile

Re: Politicians and Adultery (Mark Sanford)

Post by Singalphile » Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Well, he was re-elected. I have no idea what the pundits are saying about it or what all of the factors or pol. ramifications are, but I'd be pretty embarrassed if I lived in S. Carolina.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Thought Bill Clinton had set a new standard, "lowered the bar", that is. When news of the Clinton/Lewinsky thing came out I predicted he would be gone within a week - the Democrats would force him out. But they were all for keeping him in office and jump on this Sanford guy. Seems kind of hypocritical to me. Both men should have gone far, far away from public life.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm

What do you think of his invoking thanking God and invoking the name of Jesus in his speeches?

So many double standards its' mind numbing. If you believe in Jesus at least be contrite and don't use his name in vain or associate it with your conduct. It seems Christians pick and choose what to be outraged over.

PR

Post by PR » Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 am

What about fallen Pastors?

"Three Orlando mega-church pastors resign after admitting to affairs"

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-0 ... ird-pastor

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu May 09, 2013 10:25 am

What about fallen Pastors?
That's sad, of course. If one of those men were to continue with the affair after being found-out, then divorce, then marry the other woman, then apply and get re-hired as a pastor in his church, then it'll be beyond sad, I think.

Not that politicians should be expected to be held to the same standards as a Christian pastor/elder. And not that any of these men couldn't confess and repent, as we all need to do from time to time. But I really do think that public affairs like this can do a lot of harm in a culture, even when it's just a politician.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sun May 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Was he the best candidate running for this position? If so, then it makes sense to vote for him. As The Stones said, "You can't always get what you want."

Sure you can boycott the election if your conscience won't allow you to vote for any of the candidates; I have no problem with people who do this. But I also have no problem with people who feel it is their duty to vote for the lesser of two evils. (I've done both.)

Unlike Greg Boyd, I'd like to see more Christians running for office. It would be nice to be able to cast votes for godly individuals.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 pm

psimmond wrote:
Was he the best candidate running for this position? If so, then it makes sense to vote for him. As The Stones said, "You can't always get what you want."
What do you mean by the "best candidate running for this position"? Was he the more honest candidate? Apparently not. Trustworthy? Self-controlled? Sound in judgement? No, no, and no, I think.
psimmond wrote:
Sure you can boycott the election if your conscience won't allow you to vote for any of the candidates; I have no problem with people who do this. But I also have no problem with people who feel it is their duty to vote for the lesser of two evils. (I've done both.)
Me too. But I don't think I could vote for someone who did what this guy did. I would rather retain credibility on issues of public morality (not to mention that the man can't be trusted).

Maybe people don't think that morals are relevant to a politician's job. Fair enough, I guess, if one is consistent about it. But I wonder what would happen if a candidate was discovered a couple of weeks before an election having ongoing, inappropriate relations with his adult son? Do you think he'd be elected? The message that this Sanford's election sends: Adultery is not really that big a deal.
psimmond wrote:
Unlike Greg Boyd, I'd like to see more Christians running for office. It would be nice to be able to cast votes for godly individuals.
I agree.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 am

psimmond wrote: Was he the best candidate running for this position? If so, then it makes sense to vote for him. As The Stones said, "You can't always get what you want."
Singalphile wrote: What do you mean by the "best candidate running for this position"? Was he the more honest candidate? Apparently not. Trustworthy? Self-controlled? Sound in judgement? No, no, and no, I think.
Why do you say apparently he was not the most honest candidate? Is the other candidate known for being honest, trustworthy, self-controlled, sound in judgment? (I really don't know. I'm not from SC and haven't followed this election.)

The fact that someone blows it once and then lies to cover their tracks doesn't mean they are always dishonest. Apart from the affair and cover up, is Sanford known for being a scoundrel and liar?
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 am

psimmond wrote:
Why do you say apparently he was not the most honest candidate?
Is it not apparent? Were I (or you) God, we could know for sure, but instead we have to look at the behavior of the candidates and make a determination. A few years ago (2009), he was willing to put personal gain (in his mind) ahead of his promises, his obligations, his children's best interest, and any standard of moral/ethical behavior despite his public position and surely knowing that he would be found out (unless he's also just stupid - actually according to wikipedia, he continued the affair after his wife found out but before any divorce proceedings). This is all very strong evidence that he is not trustworthy, self-controlled, etc.
psimmond wrote:
Is the other candidate known for being honest, trustworthy, self-controlled, sound in judgment? (I really don't know. I'm not from SC and haven't followed this election.)
There were at least a dozen other candidates (primary + general), according to some article I read. Yeah, I guess that a few probably were. I also am not from SC, and I don't' follow politics.
psimmond wrote:
The fact that someone blows it once and then lies to cover their tracks doesn't mean they are always dishonest. Apart from the affair and cover up, is Sanford known for being a scoundrel and liar?
Nobody is always dishonest. Apart from his being a scoundrel and a liar, is he known for a being a scoundrel and liar? I don't know how to answer that. But I don't know him and I don't know what he's known for (except for you-know-what).

To vote for someone like this in our government, it seems like one could either say A) "I don't care at all about a congressman's morals or "personal" judgement; I just vote for the person who has a history of voting closest to what I prefer." or B) "I care about morals and judgment, but habitual adultery (not a one-time mistake), misuse of state funds, the cover-up (all while in office) doesn't rise to the level of inexcusable behavior for a congressman."

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”