Why won't we marry/given in marriage in the Resurrection?

Paidion

Re: Why won't we marry/given in marriage in the Resurrection?

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:00 pm

Rick, I don't think you have answered Michelle concerning the "last spouse rule" which you proposed as a possiblity. As Michelle has pointed out, this isn't a logical possiblity. Consider the following:

A married B.
A died.
B then married C.
B died.
C died.

A's last spouse was B.
B's last spouse was C.

To whom will B be married in the resurrection?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

RickC

Post by RickC » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:44 pm

darinhouston wrote:
RickC wrote:Michelle,

1. Yes. The angels of God in heaven do not reproduce.

2. Yes. This age is the age of human reproduction.
How do you prove these from Scripture?
1. From page one.
Matt 22:29-30 (NLT)
“Your mistake is that you don’t know the Scriptures, and you don’t know the power of God. For when the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage. In this respect they will be like the angels in heaven."

2. God told Adam & Eve to reproduce.
For further evidence, look at your avatar, ;)
You also wrote wrote:Also, any idea what Scripture Jesus was referring to here, or how the power of God is relevant to the topic in this discourse?

Matt 22 (NASB)
29 But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God.
Suzana touched on this and....
On page one I wrote: "He [Jesus] took this 'opportunity' to do some teaching about the resurrection....".
Obviously, if God can raise people from the dead; He must be pretty powerful!

Also, if God is the God of the living...He's that! :)
Last edited by RickC on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RickC

Post by RickC » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Don,

You probably know I'm not one to base my beliefs on mere theories, wishes, or hunches. I explained things as best I could, given "a purely hypothetical situation." I've also already covered the points you're raising now...and don't know how I could have better stated them....

Sorry. It's time for me to move on!
Thanks, :)

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:48 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Suzana wrote:I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."
But, (like the Sadducees, I guess) I don't see how this speaks to the resurrection or His power over death.
They may have just found out!

Mat 22:34 But hearing that He had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees were gathered together.

Apparently (per Matthew Henry’s commentary) the Sadducees flourished about two hundred and eighty-four years before Jesus’ birth; they were the fewest in number of all the sects among the Jews, but generally persons of some rank . They believed that there is no future state, no life after this; that, when the body dies, the soul is annihilated, and dies with it and that there is no state of rewards or punishments in the other world.

Also, they would not acknowledge the divine inspiration of the prophets, nor any revelation from heaven, but what God himself spoke upon Mount Sinai. This, I imagine, may have been the reason Jesus quoted that particular scripture, rather than a more direct reference to the afterlife, as in Job or Daniel for example.

(Job 19:25-26 (KJV) 25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
Daniel 12:2 (KJV) And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.)

As to how the scripture Jesus quoted speaks to the resurrection - God is a living God, and if when Abraham died, that was the final end of him, there would necessarily also have been an end of God’s relation to him as his God;
1 Chronicles 17:24 (KJV) Let it even be established, that thy name may be magnified for ever, saying, The LORD of hosts is the God of Israel, even a God to Israel: and let the house of David thy servant be established before thee.

However, since God said “I am the God of Abraham…” at a time after Abraham was physically dead, the conclusion points to either a resurrection or at least some form of afterlife.
Hebrews 11:16 (KJV) But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

I think the specific verse Jesus quoted pertained to the reality of the resurrection in particular; His comment to them not knowing the power of God was (I think) a general reproof (nothing is impossible for God), along the lines of the apostle Paul in front of King Agrippa:

Acts 26:8 (KJV) Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?
Suzana

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:01 pm

I realize that this is wildly off the topic of marriage in the resurrection, but... it's an interesting thought, is it not, that the dead don't have a God?

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Michelle wrote:I realize that this is wildly off the topic of marriage in the resurrection, but...
we have digressed a bit...[hey, we don't have a "'worried" 'smiley', maybe bcs that would be a sin ?] - but as the originator of the thread, I don't think Darin would mind (in fact he set a precedent on the previous page: "Do you find it odd that the bible speaks of Eve's pain in childbirth being "increased?..."); hopefully no one else objects. I understand to go off-topic is a big no-no on some forums, whereas I find it interesting, & more in line with real conversations.
so...
but... it's an interesting thought, is it not, that the dead don't have a God?
It is interesting - and it was Jesus who said that God was the God of the living. I guess this might be used to support the belief that the faithful 'dead' are already in God's presence; and perhaps that the rest are really dead until the general resurrection, (since they never related to Him as their God), or even that a part of them exists in some form somewhere? :?
Suzana

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Suzana wrote:Also, they would not acknowledge the divine inspiration of the prophets, nor any revelation from heaven, but what God himself spoke upon Mount Sinai. This, I imagine, may have been the reason Jesus quoted that particular scripture, rather than a more direct reference to the afterlife, as in Job or Daniel for example.

(Job 19:25-26 (KJV) 25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
Daniel 12:2 (KJV) And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.)
EXCELLENT reference, Suzana. I've never noticed that Job one before. That pretty well answers that. I don't mind your digression at all, by the way.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:21 pm

It is interesting - and it was Jesus who said that God was the God of the living. I guess this might be used to support the belief that the faithful 'dead' are already in God's presence; and perhaps that the rest are really dead until the general resurrection, (since they never related to Him as their God), or even that a part of them exists in some form somewhere? :?
Those were sort of my thoughts, as well.

Thanks, Darin, for allowing the digression. :)

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi Karen,
Thanks for sharing the LDS teachings about marriage. I think what you wrote is pretty interesting.
karenstricycle wrote: If The Man Dies:The woman is free to remarry if she would like. By civil law. However, if she were to desire to be "sealed" to that new husband in the Temple, the original "sealing" would have to be broken from the first husband and then the new "sealing" to the new husband on record. This now becomes the record "as on earth so as in heaven" by one having authority to do so.
That's interesting. Do you know what is involved with breaking the sealing?
If The Woman Dies:The man is free to remarry and even be "sealed" to the new wife in the Temple. The record of "sealing" to the first wife however remains unbroken and the "sealing" to the new second wife is now ALSO on record. A kind of Polygammy? Maybe, but this is not a: "conjugal" polygammy. This was FINALLYdone away in 1890....
So even though it was done away with on earth, in a way could still work in heaven?
As for Brigham young, an elderly woman in my ward said that Brigham young would just tell people who to marry and who was going to marry who. Maybe her mother had told her that.
Is it possible that her mother would know for sure?
Another LDS situation in my ward. A woman whos husband was not LDS but were civily wed, passed away suddenly. She, an LDS, was left a widow. Months later she had his name submitted to the Temple to be now baptized (by proxy). She then had the "sealing" (or blessing) of eternal marraige (he by proxy of coarse) pronounced upon their marraige.
You can do that? Do you know what that involves?
Now, years later she speaks of someday getting into another relationship. I do not think she is aware the initial "sealing" work that she had had done post mortem, would have to be annulled if she were ever want to be "sealed" to another.
So she kind of gets to decide which one she wants for eternity.
Some LDS who are BOTH widowd, mearly choose to retain their original records of blessing untouched.
So they go into it knowing that it's only for the time on earth? Interesting. Is that considered a good practice?
Many LDS I've found, have many ideas of their own and try and teach them. This makes me a bit edgey. I'm not nervous about the Book of Mormon, but I am about the state of it's people.
I know what you mean generally; I feel the same way about some teachers in my denomination. Is there something specific about marriage and marriage in the resurrection that you were referring to?

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”