Idolatry or Commitment?

_TheTruth64

Post by _TheTruth64 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:26 am

Does anyone know of resources (or Bible passages) that might serve as encouragement/guidance for this shocking update. I am the one who started this post (seperated from my wife for over 6 years now). I was once a committed Christian man (or so I thought), and recently ended a 10 month affair with a woman I worked with (my estranged wife was aware of it).

I ended the affair out of guilt. However, I have not loved my wife for some time now. 6 years of seperation has a way of doing that to a person :-) I know I need to begin reconciling (my wife is now open to it), but I have no great desire to do so. Any suggestions for a recovering adulterer?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:58 am

Hi Mike, Apparently your wife is not a believer or you would'nt have referenced 1 Cor 7.12 so IMHO you need to decide what's really important to you. My understanding is that marriage is a picture of Christ and his bride so being committed to one's marriage is part of being a witness for Christ , something that s/b very important to a "Christian." It's an important witness to your kids in particular and also your wife and even yourself but if you reconcile you need to be committed because if it's just based on your emotions and not a committment then it may be harmful.
Pray about it, meditate about it but after six years it's time to either make a committed reconciliation if your witness is important to you or acknowledge that it isn't something you will do. Kids are resilient and they can handle honesty if they feel loved and secure so if divorce is the regrettable result they should do OK if both you and your wife are committed parents.
As far as the adultery you can't change what happened so sincerely repent, ask for forgiveness and decide if you want to be committed to your marriage or not through prayer,meditating about it and being honest with yourself.
For whatever it's worth once i understood being committed to my marriage is part of being a witness for Christ it gave me a desire that i never knew i had. And doing that was a more effective witness then all the preaching in the world.
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:02 pm

TheTruth64 wrote:Does anyone know of resources (or Bible passages) that might serve as encouragement/guidance for this shocking update. I am the one who started this post (seperated from my wife for over 6 years now). I was once a committed Christian man (or so I thought), and recently ended a 10 month affair with a woman I worked with (my estranged wife was aware of it).

I ended the affair out of guilt. However, I have not loved my wife for some time now. 6 years of seperation has a way of doing that to a person :-) I know I need to begin reconciling (my wife is now open to it), but I have no great desire to do so. Any suggestions for a recovering adulterer?
It is good to read of someone desiring to honor God and put things right when so many seek to ignore and cover up. What I offer below, I offer as someone who knows only a little of all the circumstances (from what I've read on this thread), so please consider all below with prayer, asking God to speak through whatever is redeemable. My advice also assumes that she wants a Godly marriage. Please forgive me if I assume something that isn't true.

Three words to ponder : Repentance, Humility and Service

I would start the entire process with humble repentance. Before we can be in right relationships with others, we have to be in right relationship with God. Unrepentant sin will disrupt our relationship with God and if left unaddressed, will destroy it. You should ask forgiveness of God for the sins and mistakes you've made in relationship with your wife, both before the split and after. Commit yourself to turn from those sins and instead practice the commands of Jesus.

Part of repentance is making things right with those who were wronged or affected by your actions. This probably includes (but may not be limited to) your wife, your kids and the woman in the affair. I would go to each of them in person, ask forgiveness for what you've done, and describe specifically your intentions to live a Godly life. DO NOT bring up anything they may have done to wrong you or to contribute to the sin. Just simply repent for your sin with humility.

I would begin to pray that God would give you a desire for your wife. However, from my marriage, I've seen that desire is not a magical force that comes on you from outside like Cupid's arrow. It is built, grown, maintained and preserved by you. In your taking Godly action to reconcile back into your marriage, you will find a Godly desire for your wife and marriage growing in you. But we must seek to do what is right regardless of our feelings.

In order to reconcile with your wife, it is important that she see that you are truly committed to her and seek to love her "...as Christ loves the church and gave himself for her." This means laying your own needs aside to serve her.
Before ending the separation, you should begin to pray for her and unselfishly give to her, expecting nothing in return.
Also, I would seek out a Godly, married couple and ask them to meet with you and your wife on a consistent basis with the goal of helping the two of you work out the practical aspects of rebuilding a Godly marriage. As God works in both of you, you can decide with your wife when to take the next steps.

My prayers are with you as you seek to be a Godly husband.

Ephesians 5:25-33

Dave
Reason:

_Jana

Post by _Jana » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:40 am

Malachi 2:14-16

14 You ask, "Why?" It is because the LORD is acting as the witness between you and the wife of your youth, because you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.

15 Has not the LORD made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. [a] So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth.

16 "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty.
So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.
Reason:

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”