The divorce of two unbelievers

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 am

Paidion wrote:
So, I'm wondering. If two people have entered into legal marriage without a life-long commitment, are they married at all in God's eyes? Are they among those whom "God has joined together"? So if their "marriage" is meaningless, isn't their "divorce" meaningless also? Isn't their "marriage" a legal term for their cohabitation? And isn't their "divorce" a legal term for their separation?

If there's any sin in such a case, I doubt that it's in the "divorce". I think it more likely lies in their "marriage" without commitment.

I guess it would depend if they took the vow "till death do us part". If they take the vow but don't mean it, it seems as if they are still married.

If I sign a contract promising to pay for cellular service but don't intend on ever paying the bill if the service is bad, I still entered into a contract, a marriage, as it were.

Besides, even if it isn't a true marriage, it certainly is fornication if they are not married in God's eyes but are sexually active.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:21 pm

When people are unbeliever's why do we think they should care about divorce? It is when we receive Christ that we stay in a very troubled
marriage even when love is lost. We trust God for every outcome
why should the world care? Who do they answer to?
Reason:

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 pm

In Genesis 2:23-24, God does not appear to make a distinction between believers and unbelievers when he says that a man and wife will be one flesh. In the joining together a commitment to become one flesh has been made. Since this predated what we know formally as Christianity, wouldn't we need to consider this passage?

livingink
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:07 pm

Sean wrote:If I sign a contract promising to pay for cellular service but don't intend on ever paying the bill if the service is bad, I still entered into a contract, a marriage, as it were.
Sean, do you think the essence of marriage is a legal contract? There never were any legal contracts in connection with marriage until relatively recent years.

The actual marriage was something between the couple. Then there was a celebration of the marriage that had already taken place (as the wedding in Cana which Jesus attended).

I don't think that the moment which God joins a couple in marriage is simultaneous with the signing of the register, and I think many sign the legal contract without ever having been joined together by God. If a couple has never committed themselves to each other for life, their contract seems to mean no more than legal cohabitation.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_foc

Re: The divorce of two unbelievers

Post by _foc » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:03 pm

roblaine wrote:I'm hoping that someone here can give me some advice. I have a family member who is married and neither he or his wife are Christians. They are on the brink of divorce and it is no secret in the family that it is likely going to happen very soon. If they were Christians I would have little doubt about whether their actions would be sinful or not. However, they are not. I'm know that in 1 Corinthians 7, Paul teaches that if a believer is married to a unbeliever, and the unbeliever desires to leave that they should let them go.

7:12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her.
7:13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.
7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
7:15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.

But what if both parties are unbelievers? Are they still free to leave?

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

God bless,
Robin
Without a just cause for putting away a spouse, divorce is always sin whether by a christian or a nonbeliever.

Dont mistake 'free' to leave as meaning that there no real marriage there if there is an unbeliever....or as some teach, that the marriage is UNconditional on the part of the believer (if say they are being abused or cheated on...that wasnt Pauls intent).
What Paul is showing there is simply that we as believers should hold marriage far more sacred and holy than unbelievers probably will.

Bear in mind that in Corinth these believers seemingly thought that they were to leave the unbelieving spouse, not for any real reason, but becuase they thought they were 'defiled' by the unbelieving spouse (if you read that part of 1 cor 7 there its very easy to see and it makes the whole passage much more clear as to Pauls actual intent).
Paul isnt telling them that the believer can never leave the believer...but is instead telling these folks who were asking him if they could just up and leave because they became a believer that no...they should not end a marriage just beucase they were now a believer and the spouse was not....how did they know that they wouldnt be key in that unsaved spouse coming to Christ ....

Paul shows them that they arent defiled, nor are their children, because their spouse is 'sanctified' because they are believers (there is more to that part once you really start to understand Pauls personality a lot better)
So they should not just leave this marriage for no just cause simply because their spouse is an unbeliever.
That is the context of 1 Cor 7:12-15 there.
But if this unbeliever doesnt want to remain in the marriage, then we are to let them leave.

Again, this isnt saying that there can be NO circumstances where the believer could file for divorce...read the first part of the chapter....'now concerning these things which you write'...Paul is clearly answering questions that they were asking him about...so there is a very definite context to his answers here...just showing that we shouldnt put away a spouse just because we believe and they do not *IF* they are pleased to remain with us (the greek shows a mutual pleasantness..ie not an abusive marriage)
G4909
1) to be pleased together with, to approve together (with others)
2) to be pleased at the same time with, consent, agree to
2a) to applaud

Even if the unbeliever leaves us, and we allow them too, 'sin' is still committed by the person who puts away their spouse unjustly...whether they are a believer or not.

Not sure if this is enough..you can check out our study archive if you want to see more on the topic as a whole (click the WWW below and follow the links)
:)
Reason:

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”