Confession and prayer

mikew

Re: Confession and prayer

Post by mikew » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Michelle wrote:
TK wrote:What form should this confession take? should we plan a "confession" meeting with our bros and sisses in the Lord and just have at it, or should it be a more spontaneous thing? If I have an unkind thought on my drive home from work, need I call someone to confess it?

TK
I dunno, that's why I'm asking...I would love to hear what people think.

I used to have a friend that I had an agreement with to hold each other accountable about gossip. (Even though it's spoken about pretty negatively in scripture, no one really seems to think it all that toxic.) It was a good thing, but, then I never gossiped about Miriam because I admired her so much. What if I had. That would have been hard to confess, and I probably wouldn't have.
I don't tend to think of real Christianity in terms of meetings -- though real Christianity can have official meetings. So confessions would seem to be more of a lifestyle involving your interaction with those you are comfortable.

The passage probably isn't concerned about all sins but rather about the sharing process. With the sharing about your problems is where the healing or soundness of the body of Christ occurs.

Again the sharing of one person's problems may help someone, with more burdens, to share his problems. I do think we have to get rid of the idea of this "confession" as being a means of getting God's forgiveness.

Remember, the goal here is healing or soundness, toward the removal of wounds and problems in individual people and in the whole group.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks, Mike, I like what you said here about it being a lifestyle and I liked the way you called it healing or soundness for the body. You've given me more to think about.

I guess the informality of what you described is what makes it so easy to avoid. I wouldn't want to have it be a legalistic thing, either. Maybe the Spirit just leads you sometimes to do what is necessary. (really sorry if I'm not making much sense. I'm just thinking while I type.)

Has anyone ever done confession like the Catholics do? I have a brother who converted to Catholicism, but I've never asked him much at all about what he believes or practices. I'm pretty sure he must go to confession because I've seen him recieve communion. Maybe I should ask him, but I'll probably chicken out.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 pm

You mean like "confessing" that you are too analytical?
Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-20 RSV

Hmmm... I can't seem to find "being too analytical" in the above list of sinful actions, nor in any other list in the entire New Testament.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Paidion wrote:
You mean like "confessing" that you are too analytical?
Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-20 RSV

Hmmm... I can't seem to find "being too analytical" in the above list of sinful actions, nor in any other list in the entire New Testament.
:) imagine that!

Return to “Fellowship & Worship”