Did Bonhoeffer Sin?

Right & Wrong
Homer

Did Bonhoeffer Sin?

Post by Homer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:10 am

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was executed, just weeks before the end of WWII, for his involvement in a plot to overthrow the Nazi government. Bonhoeffer was a prominent Christian leader and theologian. In light of the following passage in Romans, did he sin by being involved in the plot?

In my view, not strongly held, Paul says nothing about a government that has delegitimized itself in the eyes of God by being a "minister of evil" rather than the good it was intended for.

Romans 13:1-7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

1. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3. For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; 4. for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil. 5. Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake. 6. For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. 7. Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

Just before Romans 13 Paul wrote:

Romans 12:21 (NASB)

21. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Was Bonhoeffer's involvement an attempt to overcome evil? Was he doing good?

Paidion

Re: Did Bonhoeffer Sin?

Post by Paidion » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:55 pm

It is my understanding that Bonhöffer was involved in a plot to kill Hitler. I think many people believe, perhaps even some who post to this forum, that this involvement was not only a sin, but that God indirectly killed him as punishment for this sin, by means of the prison guards, shortly before the prison was liberated by the allies.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Ethics”