Suicide or not?

Right & Wrong
Murf

Suicide or not?

Post by Murf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:44 pm

My mother was very angry with my uncle for deciding to discontinue on dialysis after becoming ill. His kidneys failed several years ago and my guess is he just grew weary of the whole 3 times a week process. He died last week and I found out the reason for my mother’s anger was she believed he was committing suicide. (She also believes if you don’t ask for forgiveness of specific sins, you aren’t forgiven, but that is another topic).

The advice I gave my mom was that suicide is be taking your own life by artificial means. Since his body would have died several years ago on its own so I don’t think he committed suicide. Anyone have other thoughts or scripture that might help my mom?

tim

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattrose

Re: Suicide or not?

Post by mattrose » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:07 am

There are 6 categories of euthanasia

Passive-Voluntary: Individual decides against treatment which may prevent death
Active-Voluntary: Individual decides for treatment which will cause death
Passive-Non-Voluntary: Others decide against treatment which may prevent death (for an incapacitated person)
Active-Non-Voluntary: Others decide for treatment which will cause death (for an incapacitated person)
Passive-Involuntary: Others decide against treatment which may prevent death (against stated wishes of person)
Active-Involuntary: Others decide for treatment which will cause death (against stated wishes of person)

'Active' euthanasia is, in my opinion, most usually immoral (I suppose there may be exceptions). Passive Euthanasia is more of a gray area. I know many godly people who have refused another round of treatments for their terminal illness in exchange for some peaceful last weeks/months with their family. Passive non-voluntary is the most difficult to discern. Passive involuntary certainly seems wrong to me in all cases I can think of.

Your uncle's case is clearly passive-voluntary, which I certainly don't consider suicide.

TK

Post by TK » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 am

I don't think this specific case is suicide, either.

medical science may one day be able to keep a person artificially alive indefinitely(it already keeps many people alive perhaps longer than they should be); i certainly do not think it is suicide to allow nature to take its course.

TK

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Thou shalt not kill
But need not strive
Officiously ---- to keep alive.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Murf

Post by Murf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:30 am

But need not strive
Officiously ---- to keep alive.

Paidon, can you clarify your bible verse reference, please.
tim

TK

Post by TK » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 pm

i think paidion was showing us his poetic prowess, which i thought was pretty good.

TK

Murf

Post by Murf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm

i guess my poetic prowess is fairly lacking.

Thanks everyone for your help.
tim

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Paidon, can you clarify your bible verse reference, please.
tim
Hezekiah 66:6
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Ethics”