Definition of Lust

Right & Wrong
_JoshAidan

Definition of Lust

Post by _JoshAidan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:48 pm

Hey Steve,

I came across this site through the Joshua Fire website, and noticed that you seem to be answering questions on this forum. So, if you don't mind me asking a little question, here it goes:

In the new testament, particularly in the epistles, what exactly is meant by the word lust? What is Peter and Paul referring to when they use the word? Some how I suspect that it might not have quite the same meaning as I would define it: sex. What can you say about the context it's used in?

If you would like me to give specific examples of verses, then I can do that. Although for now, I think it would be good to start kind of broad.

Thanks in advance!

Brian.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing so you will save both yourself and those who hear you. -- 1 Tim 4:16

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:15 pm

The words translated "lust" in our Bible are Epithumeo (the verb) and Epithumia (the noun). The words do not, in themselves, carry bad connotations, but simply refer to "desire"—whether good or bad.

Examples of this word referring to good and holy "desires" would be found in Matthew 13:17 (speaking of the prophets' desire to see the days of Christ); Luke 22:15 (speaking of Christ's desire to eat the final Passover meal with His disciples); 1 Timothy 3:1 (of a man's desire to become a bishop); and 1 Peter 1:12 (of the angels' desire to "look into" the mystery of the Gospel).

The natural craving of a hungry man for food is also one of the ways in which the Scriptures use this word. The desire of the prodigal son to fill his belly with swine's food (Luke 15:16), or that of the beggar at the rich man's gate to eat only crumbs from his table (Luke 16:21) are examples of this amoral and natural "lust."

We usually use the word "lust" in a negative sense—and primarily about sexual desire—but the word has probably acquired such a narrow application in our minds owing to the famous verse about "adultery...in the heart." [Epithumeo also has sinful connotations in Romans 7:7 and 13:9, where it translates the word "covet" from the tenth commandment. In 1 Corinthians 10:6, it speaks of the desire for "evil things" among the Israelites who came out of Egypt.]

Matthew 5:28 says, "whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." This is not saying that the moment a man sees a woman, whose appearance appeals to his sexual desire, that he has already become an adulterer. Jesus says that it is a sin for the one who "looks...to lust", that is, he intends to fantasize or stir up his hormones by looking at the woman. It should be clear that a man cannot "commit adultery" with his own wife, so that this does not forbid a man to become aroused by looking at his own wife. The "woman" in this illustration, is any woman with whom it would be adultery for the man to actually have sexual relations.

It should be remembered that lust is not in itself sin. "Lust, when it hath conceived, bringeth forth sin" (James 1:15). Lust merely means natural desires—for food, for sex, etc.—such as were created by God in the unfallen bodies of Adam and Eve, and such as are produced by chemicals and physiological factors in the body. However, these "desires [lusts] of the flesh" present the temptation, often, to gratify their demands even in cases when to do so would be a violation of God's commands. At such times, these desires wage war in the mind against the desires of the Spirit of God (Gal.5:17). The desire for food or sex are innocent and legitimate physiological cravings of the human body, and one needn't feel guilty about experiencing them. However, when the gratification of a desire (or "lust") would mean disobedience to God's revealed will, then it is a sin to indulge that desire, whether physically or mentally.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Ethics”