Olympic Games

Right & Wrong
Suzana

Olympic Games

Post by Suzana » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Php 3:20 For our citizenship is in Heaven, from which also we are looking for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

They are almost over, but has anyone been following the Olympic Games?
Leaving aside the fact that sport in general may be a frivolous pursuit (from God’s kingdom point of view), I wonder how much should patriotism be a factor for Christians?
I realise it’s natural to wish one’s own country to do well, but what if, for example, a non-believing fellow-countryman was in a sporting contest against a believer from another country, who would you go for in supporting?
Suzana

Sean

Re: Olympic Games

Post by Sean » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:10 am

Much to my own surprise, I've been watching the Olympics. I usually don't watch much TV and I only get what comes in from my antenna (I don't have cable or satellite), so I've been watching what coverage I get from my local NBC station.

I guess it's natural for people that watch someone who is there to represent their country would hope they do well. I just get confused when I see someone change the nation they represent. I've never understood that.

Anyway, I'm one of those "hopeful" people that hope that non-Christians can use the Olympic games as an excuse to seek unity from their fellow man. I guess another reason I've been watching is the fact that China is hosting these games. They have come a long way and want to show the world how far they have come. This can be a very good thing for China, seeing the Chinese government open up to the world instead of being reclusive. All this over "games". It's amazing that China has done so much just because they are the host of these games. Hopefully this willingness to open up to the world will lead China to a better place, paving the way for even more Christian tolerance by the atheist Chinese government.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

RFCA

Post by RFCA » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Yeah I also think the games made a good show of China's willingness to be a part of the world--to open up.
They are now miles ahead from where Pyongyang is right now in terms of the government's openness. I was able to watch a documentary from Natl Geograpic or Discovery channel about North Korea.. Whoaa, the country is really living on it's own to this day. As in the people there see Kim Jong il as deity or something close to it. Their rights are suppressed and are maltreated without them even knowing it.

In the theoretical scenario that was raised where a non-believing countryman is competing against a christian foreigner, my take is that in general and ideally, the stronger bond should be towards the christian foreigner. This is because our unity with Christ and with all other believers should be foremost among all relationships (this is easier said than done of course) that we have. But then again, the scenario given here involves sports, which for me is a petty thing to create an issue over. I think it's just ok to side with either because what really is at stake isn't the interest of the Kingdom nor that of the brother (unless we look at the monetary reward that brother might get out of winning -- which could help his church or minstry), but national pride -- which the Bible doesn't really speak highly of in light of our heavenly citizenship.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:34 am

Hi Richard,

I think I agree with you.
There's an interesting article here:

Chinese Christians' Olympic "degree of difficulty" rated at 9.7
Suzana

Return to “Ethics”