Question on Forgiveness

Right & Wrong
_postpre

Question on Forgiveness

Post by _postpre » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:05 am

Not quite a year ago I posted the following at another forum. There have been a couple of issues (this being one of them) that I would like other saints to enlighten me on.

Here is the post:

"Last February my brother and I participated in a large-scale miniature golf tournament through our downtown "skywalk" system. We ended up having the best score for doubles on the particluar course we played, and received a small prize for the win. My brother kept our score and, at the time, I thought that he may have fudged on a couple of his strokes (on a couple of puts that he thought should have holed but didn't due to the unforgiving hole). I let my brother tally up our score and left it at that (without saying anything) and soon forgot about it.

About two weeks ago out of nowhere the whole incident popped into my mind again, and I began to feel very guilty and condemned about not doing anything when it happened. I resolved to talk to my brother and I did (which was hard) but he didn't recall fudging at all (or if he did he wasn't saying). Nevertheless, since I'm pretty sure it did take place, I haven't been able to shake severe feelings of guilt and condemnation.

This has been an ongoing pattern in which something from my past springs up after the fact (usually done after I was saved) and for some reason I feel like I have to make it right- like go back and confess my fault- before God will accept me. I am deeply grieved and have repented over the things that were displeasing to God, but my flesh seems to want to take it a step further. It tells me that God won't forgive me until I go back.

I need some assurance that my thinking is wrong on this matter. That I am being decieved in thinking that I have to go back and make everything right before God will accept me. And specifically, in this matter with the mini-golf tourny, that I don't have to go back and tell anyone 8 months after the fact.

I love Christ. I realize I am saved only by his awesome grace. But some of these thoughts (even doubting the security of my soul) have tormented me at times. It's been very difficult to see the real truth when what I believe to be lies attempt to swallow me up in despair and render me an innefective Christ-follower.

Thanks so much for reading."

Brian
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Ethics”