Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

User avatar
dizerner
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by dizerner » Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:Baptism does not save anyone.
I didn't say it did. Now you make me feel like you are not listening to me and don't really care what I say. That makes me sad.

Also I only said exactly what Jesus said about it. So that makes me feel you don't really respect God's Word.
~ Classical Arminian Christian Mystic ~

User avatar
dizerner
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by dizerner » Tue May 10, 2016 9:58 pm

dizerner wrote: As for resurrection, a future resurrection among the righteous, a resurrection to life, is for all who believe on Christ for salvation.
The Bible says:

We therefore were buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life.

Therefore, since you have been raised with Christ, strive for the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away. Behold, the new has come!

whoever hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life and will not come under judgment. Indeed, he has crossed over from death to life.


Do you feel like you truly understand what these words mean?
~ Classical Arminian Christian Mystic ~

User avatar
JacobMartinMertens
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:43 pm
Location: The United States of America; Washington State

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue May 10, 2016 10:34 pm

dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:There is no reason for anyone to kill themselves.
I hope you didn't think I meant to physically suicide, but rather to accept God's decree of death as the wages of sin.
Killing oneself by the law is not an idea I am familiar with, nor do I want to be familiar with it.
Have you ever read the writings of Paul? He more than once states that the Law kills him spiritually and condemns him to death as well.
Paul says sin became alive and he died. I believe the following is what you are referring to.

2 Corinthians 3:6 NASB - 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Remember Romans 8:1. How do you find that the Law condemns? Is it true?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

User avatar
dizerner
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by dizerner » Tue May 10, 2016 10:38 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote: Remember Romans 8:1. How do you find that the Law condemns? Is it true?
"who walk not after the flesh"
~ Classical Arminian Christian Mystic ~

User avatar
dizerner
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by dizerner » Tue May 10, 2016 10:43 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:
dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:There is no reason for anyone to kill themselves.
I hope you didn't think I meant to physically suicide, but rather to accept God's decree of death as the wages of sin.
Killing oneself by the law is not an idea I am familiar with, nor do I want to be familiar with it.
Have you ever read the writings of Paul? He more than once states that the Law kills him spiritually and condemns him to death as well.
Paul says sin became alive and he died. I believe the following is what you are referring to.

2 Corinthians 3:6 NASB - 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Remember Romans 8:1. How do you find that the Law condemns? Is it true?
Could you explain to me what you think this verse means:

And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
~ Classical Arminian Christian Mystic ~

User avatar
JacobMartinMertens
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:43 pm
Location: The United States of America; Washington State

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue May 10, 2016 10:47 pm

dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote: Remember Romans 8:1. How do you find that the Law condemns? Is it true?
"who walk not after the flesh"
True. We as Christians live by the Spirit. Some say the flesh is still around. Maybe this is not true for true Christians. Obviously we still live on in the flesh after becoming a Christian. But we don't live according to the flesh or by the flesh. We don't do the deeds of the flesh which we once did.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

User avatar
JacobMartinMertens
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:43 pm
Location: The United States of America; Washington State

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue May 10, 2016 10:50 pm

dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:
dizerner wrote:I hope you didn't think I meant to physically suicide, but rather to accept God's decree of death as the wages of sin.

Have you ever read the writings of Paul? He more than once states that the Law kills him spiritually and condemns him to death as well.
Paul says sin became alive and he died. I believe the following is what you are referring to.

2 Corinthians 3:6 NASB - 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Remember Romans 8:1. How do you find that the Law condemns? Is it true?
Could you explain to me what you think this verse means:

And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
God wants us to obey Him by obeying His commands according to the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Law points out sin and imperfection. But the Spirit brings life.

I'm not saying we should break the commands of God found in the Law. And I want to understand what the new covenant is. I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is. I believe I am to obey God's commands.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

User avatar
dizerner
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by dizerner » Tue May 10, 2016 10:58 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote: And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

God wants us to obey Him by obeying His commands according to the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Law points out sin and imperfection. But the Spirit brings life.

I'm not saying we should break the commands of God found in the Law. And I want to understand what the new covenant is. I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is. I believe I am to obey God's commands.
How does the letter kill? Don't you think that's important to know?

Would you like to know there's something out there that can kill you but you don't even know what it is?

How does the letter kill?
I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is.
You are completely deceived. You cannot understand the New Covenant without first understanding what Law is. Period.
I believe I am to obey God's commands.
The work of God is to believe on him whom he has sent, and not to pursue righteousness by the works of the Law.
~ Classical Arminian Christian Mystic ~

User avatar
JacobMartinMertens
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:43 pm
Location: The United States of America; Washington State

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue May 10, 2016 11:05 pm

dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote: And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

God wants us to obey Him by obeying His commands according to the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Law points out sin and imperfection. But the Spirit brings life.

I'm not saying we should break the commands of God found in the Law. And I want to understand what the new covenant is. I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is. I believe I am to obey God's commands.
How does the letter kill? Don't you think that's important to know?
Maybe it is that the death penalty is there for transgressors. This is different than some who say the Law makes you want to sin more.
Would you like to know there's something out there that can kill you but you don't even know what it is?
I don't know if you are remedy or medicine, but even then I don't even know these.
How does the letter kill?
The details of the Law do not fail to identify sin for what it is.
I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is.
You are completely deceived. You cannot understand the New Covenant without first understanding what Law is. Period.
Not if the gospel can be preached without the Law.

Is the new covenant in complete agreement with the old covenant? Are the commandments written on our hearts the commandments of the old covenant, the Law?
I believe I am to obey God's commands.
The work of God is to believe on him whom he has sent, and not to pursue righteousness by the works of the Law.
Righteousness cannot be attained by the Law. But people can observe the Law and benefit from learning, studying, and obeying it (God's commands).
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

User avatar
dizerner
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Should we observe all the commands from Jesus' ministry?

Post by dizerner » Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:
dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote: And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

God wants us to obey Him by obeying His commands according to the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Law points out sin and imperfection. But the Spirit brings life.

I'm not saying we should break the commands of God found in the Law. And I want to understand what the new covenant is. I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is. I believe I am to obey God's commands.
How does the letter kill? Don't you think that's important to know?
Maybe it is that the death penalty is there for transgressors. This is different than some who say the Law makes you want to sin more.
Would you like to know there's something out there that can kill you but you don't even know what it is?
I don't know if you are remedy or medicine, but even then I don't even know these.
How does the letter kill?
The details of the Law do not fail to identify sin for what it is.
I understood the new covenant first, without understanding what the Law is.
You are completely deceived. You cannot understand the New Covenant without first understanding what Law is. Period.
Not if the gospel can be preached without the Law.

Is the new covenant in complete agreement with the old covenant? Are the commandments written on our hearts the commandments of the old covenant, the Law?
I believe I am to obey God's commands.
The work of God is to believe on him whom he has sent, and not to pursue righteousness by the works of the Law.
Righteousness cannot be attained by the Law. But people can observe the Law and benefit from learning, studying, and obeying it (God's commands).
I don't think you a have a Biblical understanding of the Law at all, but I don't mean to be rude. Maybe you think I'm totally lost about what the Bible really teaches about Law too. I do spend many, many years studying and praying about this. But I'm too tired now to continue, plus it seems you don't accept the Scriptures I give you, so without a willingness to meekly receive the implanted Word which is able to save the soul, one has rejected the Word of God. I think that's a good place to start, really think and pray "Am I accepting what Scripture is actually saying, or am I arguing with it?" Thanks for the chat.
~ Classical Arminian Christian Mystic ~

Post Reply

Return to “General Bible Discussion”