Orthodox study bible

morbo3000

Orthodox study bible

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Do any of you have a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible? What do you think of it? The translation of the Old Testament? The notes.

I am hoping to get a copy soon. I'm very impressed with some teachings I've heard from an Orthodox church.

Not to get the Septuagint conversation all riled up again. But their Old Testament is based on a translation of the Septuagint rather than what modern translations use. And the study notes or from the Church Fathers
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

dizerner

Re: Orthodox study bible

Post by dizerner » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:29 pm

It's okay for the price... it follows the NKJV except where the LXX differs. The notes are a bit fluffy and not too textual.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 pm

I have a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible, and refer to it whenever I want to look at another good translation of the Greek Septuagint of the Old Testament.
The "Apocryphal" books of the Orthodox Study Bible differ somewhat from those used by the Roman Catholic Church.
You can check out these differences here:
http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-orthodox-ca ... -books.htm
I don't agree with the commentary on these books, but the list of apocryphal (or deuterocanonical) books that each of these churches accepts, is correct.

The New Testament of the Orthodox Study Bible is simply a copy of the New King James Version. It surprises me that the Orthodox Church would use a Protestant translation of the New Testament.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:26 am

I've enjoyed browsing through the study Bible notes. I also enjoyed giving it to some kids in a 3-5 grade class I teach and then making them do "sword drills". Nothing is where it's supposed to be. hehehe.

Doug

Return to “General Bible Discussion”